Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73079 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #435
You must laugh at these Aints plebs.

Last week pre-game it was all about how strong the Aints list looked, comments like they were virtually full strength, winners all over the field, it will be a tough day for the blues, even the commentators bought into the bullsh1t!

This week they are "The Aints Back to full strength!" with four changes. But they have lost their No.1 ruckmen and another of the outs is also listed as a notable absentee!

B: J.Geary, N.Brown, D.Roberton
HB: J.Webster, J.Carlisle, S.Savage
C: J.Newnes, D.Armitage, J.Sinclair
HF: J.Billings, P.McCartin, J.Steele
F: J.Gresham, T.Membrey, J.Bruce
Foll: T.Hickey, S.Ross, J.Steven
I/C: L.Dunstan, B.Acres, K.Stevens, M.Weller, S.Gilbert, N.Coffield, H.Clark, R.Marshall               

Emerg: J.Lonie, N.Wright, B.White, L.Austin                         

In: J.Billings, J.Bruce, T.Hickey, K.Stevens
Out: B.Long, B.Longer (injured), J.Lonie, N.Wright

Notable absentees: Billy Longer, Jack Lonie, Josh Battle, Hugh Goddard

Aints = Secret Code for Wanker! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #436
Jones won't play on a body on body type forward like Nankervis, he may take Reiwoldt but that will mean Jones is deep in defence which doesn't suit us at all! Jones is probably our fastest tall, we need him free across HB and leave Weitering deep at FB.

Jones is deep in defence almost every week.

I think it was his first game against GWS in our 1 point win. He took repeated goal saving marks within 10m of our goal line and i reckon he barely got outside 50 if at all.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Reply #437
Jones does his best work across the D50 arc, where he can run and jump at the contest, sometimes in conjunction with a quick break and a long disposal back into our forward half.

He is not a good disposer of the ball, you don't want him trying to hit targets off the goal line.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #438
What I like about Jones is his ability to get to contests across the back half.  He may punch the ball through from the goal square and follow it up with a spoil on the wing in the next play phase.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #439
What I like about Jones is his ability to get to contests across the back half.  He may punch the ball through from the goal square and follow it up with a spoil on the wing in the next play phase.

Yes I agree, he covers lots of ground so it's important that he has the opportunity. We do not want opposition dragging him to the goal square, and we do not want him kicking out or across goal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #440
He is more often than not the only man home when we get caught on the turnover.....

Made a couple of 'panic' errors against the Sainters but his good stuff easily cancelled out the bad....

Byrne, Marchbank and Plow clearly been given licence to roam as required....

To my mind Jones, Plow, Simmo and Marchy all very good players; hopefully Byrne will become something too.

Willo instead of Mullett seems an obvious move, the former offers everythings Mulett does but a bigger body and seemingly more aggression and can break the lines.

Can Willo kick long eg goals from outside the 50?

Hard to remember that Williamson still only 19. At 190cm, a good size....and looks to have bulked up in the off season.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #441
He is more often than not the only man home when we get caught on the turnover.....

Made a couple of 'panic' errors against the Sainters but his good stuff easily cancelled out the bad....

Byrne, Marchbank and Plow clearly been given licence to roam as required....

To my mind Jones, Plow, Simmo and Marchy all very good players; hopefully Byrne will become something too.

Willo instead of Mullett seems an obvious move, the former offers everythings Mulett does but a bigger body and seemingly more aggression and can break the lines.

Can Willo kick long eg goals from outside the 50?

Hard to remember that Williamson still only 19. At 190cm, a good size....and looks to have bulked up in the off season.

Williamson is a no brainer IMO, should be in the best 22 and with his kicking and size I would play him on the wing and let him drift forward and kick some of those long range goals....
Mullet may have a place in the team but not ahead of Williamson IMO...

Reply #442
Agree EB1, should be a no brainer.... I'd even give O'Shea a crack ahead of Mullett....noting the former is as tall as Marchbank but Plow, Simmo and Marchy can all play small in any event.

O'Shea a great intercept marker - can't really have too many of them surely?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #443
Agree EB1, should be a no brainer.... I'd even give O'Shea a crack ahead of Mullett....noting the former is as tall as Marchbank but Plow, Simmo and Marchy can all play small in any event.

O'Shea a great intercept marker - can't really have too many of them surely?

Mullett is more of a inclusion when you have a ultra small forward line like Richmond play IMO and you need the extra small defender, I prefer OShea or Byrne otherwise...
Of course then there is Weitering and ACOS...ACOS is the sort of player I would use vs special taller players like Buddy where he has had success, while lacking size he seems to have the nous to nullify these players.
We saw Jones ragdolled by Buddy but the smaller ACOS had him covered...
All in all a nice set of options if the selectors can get it right and be willing to pick players week by week to suit the opposition rather than just having a best 22 and being inflexible.....

Reply #444
All in all, I think we can say the defence is the least of our worries.

But the way we moved the ball forward (quickly and largely with precision) against the Saints was very encouraging - and good to watch.

Sure a few errors here and there, but I was really surprised how composed the players remained even when under the pump from a St Kilda revival.

We made the Saints look bloody ordinary to be honest.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #445
You know what everyone, this argument regarding Weitering got me thinking about our "back 6" and what is our strongest lineup, and although you will tweak it for maximum benefit, I ended up with the following result:

Plowman----------Jones------------Simpson

Williamson-------Weitering---------Marchbank

Ciaran Byrne is the only other one I'd look at for that back 6 currently.

The rest need to crack in and earn one of those spots.  We could even release at least 2 or 3 to play up field if required and bring in blokes like Alex Silvagni, Mullet, Rowe etc. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #446
All in all, I think we can say the defence is the least of our worries.

But the way we moved the ball forward (quickly and largely with precision) against the Saints was very encouraging - and good to watch.

Sure a few errors here and there, but I was really surprised how composed the players remained even when under the pump from a St Kilda revival.

We made the Saints look bloody ordinary to be honest.
What he said.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #447
You know what everyone, this argument regarding Weitering got me thinking about our "back 6" and what is our strongest lineup, and although you will tweak it for maximum benefit, I ended up with the following result:

Plowman----------Jones------------Simpson

Williamson-------Weitering---------Marchbank

Ciaran Byrne is the only other one I'd look at for that back 6 currently.

The rest need to crack in and earn one of those spots.  We could even release at least 2 or 3 to play up field if required and bring in blokes like Alex Silvagni, Mullet, Rowe etc.

See, this is kinda what i've been talking about. Who from that lineup would play on the small forwards....say Eddie Betts.

The average height of that lineup is 191+. Simpson being the 'small' at 182 but at his age, i can't see him being able to keep up with the slippery types....and if Charlie Cameron was still there?? Not sure who his replacement would be, but i'm tipping there is at least 1 more small there.

Reply #448
See, this is kinda what i've been talking about. Who from that lineup would play on the small forwards....say Eddie Betts.

The average height of that lineup is 191+. Simpson being the 'small' at 182 but at his age, i can't see him being able to keep up with the slippery types....and if Charlie Cameron was still there?? Not sure who his replacement would be, but i'm tipping there is at least 1 more small there.
With 55 goals at an average of 2.3 a game in 2017 (In 2016 it was 75/3.1), not many in the comp seem to be able to play on Eddie.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #449

I'd even consider Garlett on the slippery types, as required.

Horses for course, hardly a new strategy?

Move on zkruddler, this has been discussd ad nauseum...
Finals, then 4 in a row!