Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 11089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #60
Who you achieve it against makes a difference, Nankervis was supposed to be underdone and rushed back from pre-season injury due to Nthmond's spate of injured talls, Nankervis didn't look to be moving very well, had trouble bending over to pick up the footy, and yet he's ripped Pittonet a new one! It should have been a Nil-All draw at worst, but it wasn't we lost that battle resoundingly.

@kruddler PS: I don't think you mean stats this time last year, this time last year Pittonet didn't play! Kreuzer and Casboult rucked, didn't Kreuzer get injured in Rnd 1?

Last year....for the year....at least half of it. Not a single game.

https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=5066.0

I'm surprised you don't remember... you spent a lot of time arguing over my made up stats because you couldn't comprehend how deduction and %'s worked

Reply #61
And frankly I'm a lot more worried about SpS than LOB.
Been worried about SPS since day dot, ship him off at years end please.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
Been worried about SPS since day dot, ship him off at years end please.

I've made this point before, but as repetition is one of my core competencies, I'll say it again. What we see as fans (i.e SPS being soft etc.) may be symptomatic of our own biases and assumptions. I've heard Teague say on more than one occasion that he wants a balance of some players in the contest and others on their feet ready for the receive and distribution. Teague has said a few times he doesn't want too many getting sucked in to the ball. That's the only legit thing I can think of as to why SPS plays the way he does. He is one of our better distributors, and he may simply be playing to instruction. I don't personally believe that Teague or Bolton or anyone else would tolerate not putting in, I do not believe that SPS would have survived this long, and I don't believe he would continue to get senior games  if that were the case. I don't believe the coaches are blind, and I don't believe he is a protected species.

Reply #63
I thought it odd last night how we used Setterfield, he looked primed in the pre-season to play inside, and he barely got a run at stoppages.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
I thought it odd last night how we used Setterfield, he looked primed in the pre-season to play inside, and he barely got a run at stoppages.
After his effort in the backpocket I can see why..

Reply #65
After his effort in the backpocket I can see why..
The bigger question, is perhaps how does a player like Setterfield end up defending one out in the back-pocket?

Teague and his MC have to answer that.

How can it be a HB, BP and recycled KPD kick almost half our goals?

I can't say Cripps would do better in that circumstance, he'd perhaps just give away a free or miss a target too?

The ways to fail are myriad.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
@PaulP
Hear what you say Paul but I find to be one of the most frustrating and irritating players to watch. Can be brilliant but makes mistakes and at critical times. His distribution can be good but often lacks penetration and puts his targets under pressure. Doesn't always show the urgency and ferocity in defence and too often looks too lazy to chase. I'm afraid I'm over him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
@PaulP
Hear what you say Paul but I find to be one of the most frustrating and irritating players to watch. Can be brilliant but makes mistakes and at critical times. His distribution can be good but often lacks penetration and puts his targets under pressure. Doesn't always show the urgency and ferocity in defence and too often looks too lazy to chase. I'm afraid I'm over him.

If what you and others say is true, then we have big problems at the club, because what you and others are implying is that the coaches are either corrupt or incompetent. In my view there can be no other explanation. I don't buy the "we have no on else to select" argument. We've had 4 trade periods to move him on if he was that bad.

Reply #68
@PaulP

I'd very much like to see him out of defence. We don't need him there and he's not that good in that role.

Reply #69
Season is a marathon, not a sprint. The good fitness people have you ready at the right time.
Does that mean the tigers were also underdone too as they know there making the finals and will peak then?
For us we need to be at full throttle from the start and pinch games from finals contenders now not sit back and hope the leaders in the marathon don’t get over the hill and out of sight

Reply #70
From the win by our reserves yesterday:

BESTS
Carlton: Williams, Cottrell, Kennedy, Stocker, Betts, Wooller, Delaney, Stoddart

Encouraging.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #71
If what you and others say is true, then we have big problems at the club, because what you and others are implying is that the coaches are either corrupt or incompetent. In my view there can be no other explanation. I don't buy the "we have no on else to select" argument. We've had 4 trade periods to move him on if he was that bad.

I'll leave the implications to you, I am just commenting on what I actually see on the field of play.

Reply #72
I'll leave the implications to you, I am just commenting on what I actually see on the field of play.

No doubt. One thing others have intimated and I agree with, is that we have yet to see the best of SPS, purely and simply because he is being played out of position, in order to benefit the team ? Perhaps the coaches are aware that it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and now with Saad and others playing the SPS defensive type role, he may be moved somewhere more suitable ? I feel the frustration, I'm just putting things out there other than he's crap, lazy, disinterested, soft etc.

Reply #73
In the early days SPS looked our most exciting, skilful recruit but I feel like the club has reduced him to this robot like player that doesn’t take it on, doesn’t veer from what I feel he’s instructed to do and probably isnt enjoying his footy as much because of that.

Why isn’t he either in the middle creating something or up forward bouncing around the pack? I feel he’s wasted where he is and his output shows this.

Reply #74
No doubt. One thing others have intimated and I agree with, is that we have yet to see the best of SPS, purely and simply because he is being played out of position, in order to benefit the team ? Perhaps the coaches are aware that it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and now with Saad and others playing the SPS defensive type role, he may be moved somewhere more suitable ? I feel the frustration, I'm just putting things out there other than he's crap, lazy, disinterested, soft etc.

I'm open to persuasion on this. As soon as he shows otherwise I'll be delighted to applaud him. Been waiting a while though.