Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 10765 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
Very disappointed with our centre-square work.  Nankervis smashed Pitto, and hence they doubled our clearances.  No wonder they got 75 inside 50s - 19 of them came directly from centre square bounces....
 Yep, stated happening just before 1/2-time, the writing was on the wall for anybody cared to look.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
First bloke sacked should be fitness guru Russell, been there long enough to make an impact yet we never have our best team available, never.

His supposed halo has fallen. 

Reply #32
His supposed halo has fallen. 

Came blame Russell for the mc selections.
He can't train 'heart'

...and there was a couple lacking....and everyone else had to lift and cover.

Reply #33
Time to groom Stocker as a BP as a prelude to a FT midfield role, akin to how it was done for Brett Ratten.    SPS isnt up to it.  He's had his run of games to get up to speed and hasn't.

Plenty of contenders for LOBs spot - cottrell,  Carroll being two.

Kennedy for JSOS.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
It's a long season, and our guys should be finding ways to win when underdone, which I think from the pre-season efforts was clearly the case.

I suspect that slight underdone state is deliberate, given they want to target playing finals.

This new rule it's going to be interesting to see which club's can sustain that intensity for extended periods, if any can!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Time to groom Stocker as a BP as a prelude to a FT midfield role, akin to how it was done for Brett Ratten. 
Is Stocker fit enough to play 4-Qtrs under these new rules, maybe the time is right to let him stretch his wings and he can be sub'd at 1/2-time, before they change this rule again?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Been saying it for years,  we need small defenders who can defend as well as rebound.  All those types are converted mids as you don't draft BPs.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
But, at least we had Murphy's pressure and experience...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #38
In all,
we ran out of gas (why is that Mr Russell?)
made some silly errors around goal
the reigning premiers haven't lost momentum

Until the last junk time goals, we held our own despite a relentless attack. We were there abouts around the ball. The difference in the end was our slower developing kids vs seasoned hard running mids. 

Not all is lost. We have plenty of growth if we had a bit of luck with injuries, and with Williams to come in.

Amazing to witness the free kick differential 😲

Well done to OMac
Speedy recovery to Jack
Season is a marathon, not a sprint. The good fitness people have you ready at the right time.

Did see plenty. Once we have a win we will be on our way. Issues from last year, where we lose composure at important times possibly costing us a finals spot, are still there.

Reply #39
A few players had shockers.

All will be better for the run.

LOB shouldn't play 1s again till he has kicked a dozen doors over in the 2s.

His lack of composure is staggering...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
It's a long season, and our guys should be finding ways to win when underdone, which I think from the pre-season efforts was clearly the case.

I suspect that slight underdone state is deliberate, given they want to target playing finals.

This new rule it's going to be interesting to see which club's can sustain that intensity for extended periods, if any can!

Perhaps, but why would you follow an underdone path given the opening 6 rounds are crucial to our chances?

Reply #41
Setterfield was disappointing and needs to take a long hard look at himself with that effort in the back pocket. LOB and SPS are copping it and rightly so but we can't carry players who won't attack the ball properly.
We are still a soft team with too much left to too few and highlights the difference between  those players and the ones who do commit to the contest each week like Sam Walsh..

Reply #42
A few players had shockers.

All will be better for the run.

LOB shouldn't play 1s again till he has kicked a dozen doors over in the 2s.

His lack of composure is staggering...
He is finished imo and I'd be trying other kids like Stocker, Cottrell, Honey..

Reply #43
The effort deserved better than a 4 goal defeat, yes we ran out of tickets and to a point it's unacceptable, however game running can not be replicated, if this is still the case in round 5 then i'll be concerned.

The main difference between the two sides was the midfields willingness to run both ways, Richmond had 6 players streaming back to clog up their back line, we had our mids jogging 10 meters behind their opponent, I look at Dow, Setterfield and the biggest culprit CRIPPS! Cripps is only effective if he gets first hand on the ball which was impossible when middle of the road Nankervis was creaming Pitonett at centre bounces getting taps to dangerous places, and of course Dow & Cripps were flat footed every time.

Can someone please explain why when our captain (Docherty) was kneeling down, getting to his feet and show pony half heart Bolton pushes him with two hands in the head, only O'Brien came in to remonstrate, who got grabbed by Nankervis and didn't take a backward step either. Just poor team ethos.

There is not enough team in Carlton at the moment, one in all in.

Great - Walsh, our shining light and beacon of hope, runs all day and has no fear.

Good - Fisher, Gibbons, Saad, Weitering

Decent - Cripps, Silvagni, McDonald, Fogerty, Murphy, Newnes, Ploughman, Curnow

Poor - McKay, Casboult, Dow, Pitonett, Setterfield, Docherty, Jones

Terrible - Williamson, O'Brien, SPS

For Collingwood - Stocker for Williamson. Williams for O'Brien. Martin for Silvagni. SPS gets a reprieve only just. Maybe McDonald for Casboult too. Cunningham can sub.

I was waiting all last season to see Willo go back to his rookie form and it hasn't happen, I'm thinking it may never.
O'Brien needs to get back to VFL and use his running up and back, he played some good games at the end of 2019 using his run and this new game will suit him if the confidence back.
Casboult needs a run or two at a lower level to get his touch back, how many times did he drop an easy mark?

I didn't go into the game with much hope, but through the game we were more than competitive, in big stretches. We kicked ourselves out of the game in the third quarter when we had control of the game, Richmond had control in the second half of the second quarter and they kicked goals, we kicked points.

A lot to like about parts of the game, however as some have said.... different year, same game.

Reply #44
I think we did as well as expected.
They have won 3 of the last 4 flags and have the greatest player of all time and we were missing a quarter of our best side.
Take out Williamson, Murphy and O'Brien and bring in Williams, Martin and Betts. We win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!