Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59317 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #435
Yep. Not sure why he gets a bad rap here. We support the worst side in the comp for the last 20 years. We shouldn't be paying out on anyone.

Yeah for a guy that’s got some pretty average sides to play off in GFs, it is a little odd.
It’s like some on here want to languish at the bottom.
Don’t change a thing it will all come good one day  ::)

Reply #436
Yeah for a guy that’s got some pretty average sides to play off in GFs, it is a little odd.
It’s like some on here want to languish at the bottom.
Don’t change a thing it will all come good one day  ::)

Ugly style of football, questionable character, and a knob head in his pressers. And his GF teams were not ordinary.

Reply #437
Ugly style of football, questionable character, and a knob head in his pressers. And his GF teams were not ordinary.

If it came to a choice between a nice bloke with a beautiful smile who can't win more than a few games a year, and, "Ugly style of football, questionable character, and a knob head in his pressers," I'll take the knob who delivers wins.

Besides I don't mind his media contributions and wry sense of humour; seems to me to be the sort of bloke who has a low tolerance for fools.

Doesn't seem to be coaching 'ugly' any more, reckon Ross has changed his coaching style to suite the modern game, and it's turning out very effective - with a so so side, talent wise.

As for questionable character (guess you're referring to how he left the Aints and his alleged inappropriate comments to a woman at a party) I think that's harsh and over-the-top, who hasn't stuffed up?

Is he for us? Dunno. Maybe, maybe not. Point is, the bloke can coach and coach well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #438

Should have won one at St Kilda and set them up for a few years, but coached for his record and refused to play or develop the kids..... plus he walked out on them when he realized that he had played his ‘tried and trues’ until they had nothing in the tank, and there were none coming through. (Tom Lynch got sick of waiting and they were happy to see him go)

All about Lyon. 

Reply #439
If it came to a choice between a nice bloke with a beautiful smile who can't win more than a few games a year, and, "Ugly style of football, questionable character, and a knob head in his pressers," I'll take the knob who delivers wins.

Besides I don't mind his media contributions and wry sense of humour; seems to me to be the sort of bloke who has a low tolerance for fools.

Doesn't seem to be coaching 'ugly' any more, reckon Ross has changed his coaching style to suite the modern game, and it's turning out very effective - with a so so side, talent wise.

As for questionable character (guess you're referring to how he left the Aints and his alleged inappropriate comments to a woman at a party) I think that's harsh and over-the-top, who hasn't stuffed up?

Is he for us? Dunno. Maybe, maybe not. Point is, the bloke can coach and coach well.

His media moments are cringeworthy, and his coaching prowess is over stated IMO. As for coaching ugly, I guess you missed R2 and R3, which prompted Matt Lloyd to say "gee, you'd hate to be a forward under Ross Lyon", or words to that effect.

As for stuffing up, maybe, just maybe, the incident at the Xmas party counts as that (he didn't handle the aftermath of that too well IMO), but the swapping clubs was simply calculated deceit, not accidental stuffing up.

Sorry, big no from me. If the club insists on a new Messiah, we have to do better than him.

Reply #440

Lyon has had some good success.
He's also had some bad years.

If he were to replace BB at this stage I suspect he would also be a polarising and divisive figure largely due to some of the factors above, but also due to the fact that most have not exhausted their patience with Bolton just yet.
Some of the negatives regarding Lyon are based on little more than our own bias and perceptions but...
Folks would have pretty set opinions from the get-go
He'd want to put results on the board pretty quickly to turn the negative opinions around.

Your length of time as a Carlton coach seems to have an interesting element to it.

If you come into the job with half hearted supporter approval you are under the pump much earlier and your time in the job is limited unless you deliver immediate success.
If you come into the job with greater support, a clean slate even, people are infinitely more patient...

Any new coach needs to belong to the second group.
If Bolton is replaced it will be if and when the majority's patience has run out... and his replacement will need to be seen as someone with strong, even universal approval, as the right man/woman for the job.

Reply #441
Lyon has had some good success.
He's also had some bad years.

If he were to replace BB at this stage I suspect he would also be a polarising and divisive figure largely due to some of the factors above, but also due to the fact that most have not exhausted their patience with Bolton just yet.
Some of the negatives regarding Lyon are based on little more than our own bias and perceptions but...
Folks would have pretty set opinions from the get-go
He'd want to put results on the board pretty quickly to turn the negative opinions around.

Your length of time as a Carlton coach seems to have an interesting element to it.

If you come into the job with half hearted supporter approval you are under the pump much earlier and your time in the job is limited unless you deliver immediate success.
If you come into the job with greater support, a clean slate even, people are infinitely more patient...

Any new coach needs to belong to the second group.
If Bolton is replaced it will be if and when the majority's patience has run out... and his replacement will need to be seen as someone with strong, even universal approval, as the right man/woman for the job.

We could have Norm Smith, Ron Barrassi, David Parkin, Vince Lombardi and John Madden combine for our coaching group, and we still wouldn't have the patience to allow them to undertake the type of rebuild we have gone through now.

Which is why i'm preaching patience with Bolton.

Reply #442
The astute observer will no doubt realise that a Lyon appointment is simply jobs for the boys.

Reply #443
His media moments are cringeworthy, and his coaching prowess is over stated IMO. As for coaching ugly, I guess you missed R2 and R3, which prompted Matt Lloyd to say "gee, you'd hate to be a forward under Ross Lyon", or words to that effect.

As for stuffing up, maybe, just maybe, the incident at the Xmas party counts as that (he didn't handle the aftermath of that too well IMO), but the swapping clubs was simply calculated deceit, not accidental stuffing up.

Sorry, big no from me. If the club insists on a new Messiah, we have to do better than him.

Holy mackerel, you really do despise the bloke. Sounds like you want him put in the stocks and thrashed for crimes against coaching, media and his former employer!

Reply #444
Holy mackerel, you really do despise the bloke. Sounds like you want him put in the stocks and thrashed for crimes against coaching, media and his former employer!

I don't hate anyone. I just think if we're going to go through yet another premature sacking, then it should be for someone better than him.

Reply #445
The astute observer will no doubt realise that a Lyon appointment is simply jobs for the boys.

Perhaps you mean, 'people who see things as I do...'

You don't think SOS's appointment isn't 'jobs for the boys?'

You don't think Juddy's appointment isn't 'jobs for the boys?'

You don't think David Campbell's appointment isn't 'jobs for the boys?'

I can name more.

Reply #446
I don't hate anyone. I just think if we're going to go through yet another premature sacking, then it should be for someone better than him.

Now that I understand. We might have something to discuss re 'premature', as that is purely subjective and you're obviously a far more patient person than I.

Reply #447
Perhaps you mean, 'people who see things as I do...'

You don't think SOS's appointment isn't 'jobs for the boys?'

You don't think Juddy's appointment isn't 'jobs for the boys?'

You don't think David Campbell's appointment isn't 'jobs for the boys?'

I can name more.

SOS' appointment probably was. I don't know who Judd's friends are at the club - I'd say his appointment was 50/50 wrt jobs for the boys. Lloyd (as in Brad) and Bolton were not.

Reply #448
SOS' appointment probably was. I don't know who Judd's friends are at the club - I'd say his appointment was 50/50 wrt jobs for the boys. Lloyd (as in Brad) and Bolton were not.

Just curious, how do you know this?

Reply #449
Just curious, how do you know this?

I think it's fair to assert this.

Neither figure had a previous relationship with our club.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson