Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview) (Read 92580 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview)

Reply #165
Jake Niall said this morning;

"There will be changes, but statements are unlikely."

Mick Malthouse-coached teams are renowned for tackling, for defending and for expending near maximum effort – irrespective of their talent. None of these non-negotiables was evident in the coach's record-breaking game last Friday night.

Bryce Gibbs was far from theThere will be changes, but statements are unlikely.  only player who let down club and coach, but his output was probably the worst of all when measured against his high capabilities.

Gibbs, Carlton's 2014 best and fairest and in the first year of a five-year contract, was one of half a dozen Blues who did not lay a tackle. Of his seven kicks, only one was effective. He was among the onlookers who froze and did nothing to stop the slaughter.

On the basis of Friday night and his modest output in 2015, Gibbs probably deserves to be playing VFL this weekend. His kicking efficiency – usually a strength – stands at a substandard 49 per cent this year, and his possession rate has dropped. For whatever reason Gibbs has underwhelmed.

But if a portion of incensed Carlton fans want Malthouse to make Gibbs and/or other names a scapegoat to make a statement, they will almost certainly be disappointed. There will be changes, but statements are unlikely.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/carlton-blues/micks-way-gibbs-and-mates-will-avoid-axe-20150506-ggvsvw.html

Unfortunately, we don't have the depth to enable the coach or match committee (do we still have a match committee?) to make statements.  Another symptom/cause of our current malaise  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #166
Can't see Thomas getting a gig, most likely not Menzel. Levi for Warnock.

Congrats to Graham who most likely gets the nod. Hopefully not the sub before going back to the twos as is Mick's usual MO.

If he does that again it will be the all time greatest pisstake in the history of the game.

I agree with the above article, on those figures Gibbs needs to be dropped. Unless he's injured there's just no excuse great enough (including lack of motivation) to forgive his start to the year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #167
Gibb's is looking like one of the players Judd mentioned who play well when a contract is coming up then drop off once the ink has dried.

Reply #168
If he does that again it will be the all time greatest pisstake in the history of the game.

I agree with the above article, on those figures Gibbs needs to be dropped. Unless he's injured there's just no excuse great enough (including lack of motivation) to forgive his start to the year.
Whilst I agree Gibbs was putrid (from all reports), it would be good if journos did some research. Gibbs Efficiency (According to AFL website)  is running at 60%, not 49%. Henderson actually laid a tackle (thats all he did) and there weren't half a dozen that didn't, the number was five, two being the ruck man (one of which is a witches hat). I am being picky but its all I got.

Reply #169
Jake Niall said this morning;

"There will be changes, but statements are unlikely."

Unfortunately, we don't have the depth to enable the coach or match committee (do we still have a match committee?) to make statements.  Another symptom/cause of our current malaise  :(

We also never had the balls to drop him and still don't. Where is the Gibbs we drafted? He would slaughter this bloke that runs out now. Should honestly have 20-30 less games next to his name. Bryce Gibbs is the definition of a wasted talent.

Reply #170
Still no Jamison and losing Henderson makes it slim pickings in the KP stocks.

I reckon Warnock has to go.
Whiley was like a deer in headlights last week. Send him back to the 2's and let him get his confidence back.
Send Curnow back to the 2's and tell him to work on his attacking side.

Keep whichever one of Menzel/Thomas are fittest and give the other one one more week off.

Cant drop Whiley after one game, thats not good coaching IMO especially in a year where development is more important
than ever...agree on Curnow.
Warnock should not have been selected in the Collingwood game...
Agree on the fittest of Thomas or Menzel, probably be the latter IMO..

Reply #171
We also never had the balls to drop him and still don't. Where is the Gibbs we drafted? He would slaughter this bloke that runs out now. Should honestly have 20-30 less games next to his name. Bryce Gibbs is the definition of a wasted talent.

But Gibbs won our B&F last season after too many years of being played out of position by previous coaches.  What has changed since last season?  Is he carrying an injury? 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #172
Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Kristian Jaksch, Sam Rowe.
HB: Andrejs Everitt, Kade Simpson, Andrew Walker.
C: Sam Docherty, Chris Judd, Tom Bell.
HF: Dale Thomas, Levi Casboult, Dennis Armfield.
F: Bryce Gibbs, Liam Jones, Blaine Boekhorst.
Foll: Cameron Wood, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy.
I/C: Dylan Buckley, Ed Curnow, David Ellard, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel, Robert Warnock, Mark Whiley (Three to be omitted).

In:  Dale Thomas, Levi Casboult, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel.

Out: Lachie Henderson (Hamstring)

Brisbane Lions
B: Darcy Gardiner,  Justin Clarke, Jed Adcock.
HB: Mitch Golby, Marco Paparone, Tom Cutler.
C: Lewis Taylor, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff.
HF: Dayne Zorko, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen.
F: Harris Andrews, Matthew Leuenberger, Josh Green.
Foll: Stefan Martin, Jack Redden, Daniel Rich.
I/C: James Aish, Mitch Robinson, Rohan Bewick, Claye Beams, Nick Robertson, Liam Dawson, Ryan Lester (Three to be omitted).

In: Matthew Leuenberger, James Aish, Liam Dawson, Ryan Lester.
Out:  Brent Staker (Hamstring).
New: Liam Dawson

I am amazed they named Rockliff. They would have to be insane to play him. It also makes a mockery of the tribunal decision to suspend May for so long. But that is another tale.

They are a team of no names, so they should do well against us.  :( :o

I am also surprised they named Daisy. I would have brought him back via the VFL. Maybe I am simply seeing him as last year's player, but I would have let him get a bit of form and fitness before sacrificing him. The same very much goes for Menzel. I would wait until he gets through a whole VFL game without any tight muscles at an absolute minimum. I'd much rather he find some form, but who am I to argue with our match committee?  >:D
To be honest, I'd almost start Gibbs off on the bench. I doubt he'll be dropped, although his form merits it. I would like to see Tuohy start in the midfield and use his strength and kicking. However, based on previous weeks I will probably be disappointed again.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #173

The new Lawrence Angwin  ::). (I think that was his name)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #174
In:  Dale Thomas, Levi Casboult, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel.

Out: Lachie Henderson (Hamstring)

The only thing I can deduce from those team changes is that Malthouse is purely coaching for a contract renewal, he doesn't have the club's best interests at heart.

Watson had a reasonable crack in the seconds and we know he can kick long & straight yet the Big Galoot gets a gig ahead of him. What chance does the guy have to show if he is worth keeping ??

If Gibbs can't be dropped for that lame-ass effort last week, then to what level does he have to stoop down to for it to ever happen ?? ******* protected species and a goddam disgraceful decision !!

We'll have some of the promising newbies wanting to leave soon enough, if they are putting in and not being rewarded for their effort then they will take their business elsewhere.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #175
@ Sheik

Mick stated after the Judge's "rebuild" statement a few weeks ago that he would continue selecting what was thought to be the best side to win each game. He has not, to my knowledge, since made any statement to the contrary. He obviously thinks that winning is the  unit that will be used to measure his performance in order to determine a contract extension or not.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #176
The only thing I can deduce from those team changes is that Malthouse is purely coaching for a contract renewal, he doesn't have the club's best interests at heart.

Watson had a reasonable crack in the seconds and we know he can kick long & straight yet the Big Galoot gets a gig ahead of him. What chance does the guy have to show if he is worth keeping ??

If Gibbs can't be dropped for that lame-ass effort last week, then to what level does he have to stoop down to for it to ever happen ?? ******* protected species and a goddam disgraceful decision !!

We'll have some of the promising newbies wanting to leave soon enough, if they are putting in and not being rewarded for their effort then they will take their business elsewhere.

Some of your best work lately, oh robed one  :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #177
The bloke is coaching for a future that doesn't exist for him. We all know what will end up happening. Amazing he's allowed to hang around and waster a season of rebuilding.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #178
The bloke is coaching for a future that doesn't exist for him. We all know what will end up happening. Amazing he's allowed to hang around and waster a season of rebuilding.

Honestly Carrots, I don't reckon the club can afford the payout just yet. Cashflow is an issue and Luca Brasi  has committed to honouring the contract.

Don't forget, it's not just Old Powder Balls, it's all the deadwood he brought with him.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #179
@ Sheik

Mick stated after the Judge's "rebuild" statement a few weeks ago that he would continue selecting what was thought to be the best side to win each game. He has not, to my knowledge, since made any statement to the contrary. He obviously thinks that winning is the  unit that will be used to measure his performance in order to determine a contract extension or not.

Surely if he picks players who have shown some form then he improves the chances of getting a win. Continually rewarding players who give little or nothing is not the way to go !! 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"