Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 7665 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
We can't get him to chase an opponent when he is a defender....what hope do we have if he is a mid?!

Wing/HF for mine.
Too slow, doesn't go hard enough and doesn't have a penetrating kick. Would get rag dolled in the middle. Play him in the twos, not the ones, to learn what he can and can't do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
No he doesn't deserve an extended run.   He made critical errors that cost goals, we can't carry blokes like that.  He can learn in the twos,  and if he shows sustained form he can come in but given last nights showing Cottrell or Carroll can play wing,  and quite frankly are probably going to have more impact and c$@'! Up less.  We need to win games,  the seniors is no longer about  gifting development games to kids. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
No he doesn't deserve an extended run.   He made critical errors that cost goals, we can't carry blokes like that.  He can learn in the twos,  and if he shows sustained form he can come in but given last nights showing Cottrell or Carroll can play wing,  and quite frankly are probably going to have more impact and c$@'! Up less.  We need to win games,  the seniors is no longer about  gifting development games to kids. 

Tend to agree. SPS has had a very kind run. Avoided the axe I reckon at least 5 times in his career.

Enough is enough.

Reply #18
I think the time has come with SPS and biting the bullet.....move him out of defence!
I have not been so negative about SPS, but with some young defenders coming up, and a good one in Newman available soon, it might be time to give him a different job. That way we can see if he can be the player we need him to be.

Put SPS further up the ground and let him kick at goal, not 2m in front of mids in the centre of the ground.
Having learnt a bit about the negative side of the game in the last couple of years, it could be very interesting seeing him trying to kick goals. Having him swap in the middle with Jack Martin could also be interesting.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
Cottrell must be close. He was very good in the 2's. Carroll could use some time on the wing like Sam Walsh did two years ago. Certainly they both run harder than SPS has been doing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
3 changes I reckon. 
Out:  LOB, SPS and Jack 
In: Williams, Martin and Oscar. If Martin is not ready I would play Stocker.

I would give Dow another week. He preseason form was promising and needs to be given every chance to prove he can play at this level. Lob made some howling errors that cost us so even though it was a tough game to promote him in he should be dropped imo.
Can’t possibly continue to gift SPS games anymore. Stuff him. Needs a massive rocket this bloke. He either pulls his finger out and gives 100% defensively or he can play 2s and go back to riding bulls in WA next year cause doubt anyone will want him.

Massive massive game this one. No excuses if we are going to make the move we all said we should be this is a must win game.

Exactly the team I'd select along with the Martin / Stocker switch.

Reply #21
He has great endurance and has a weapon of a left foot but doesn't use either enough. He needs it drummed into him to take the game on and use those weapons at every opportunity. He needs game after game in the top flight league to learn how to use them. Go for broke, play him every week and get the confidence up and he could flourish. Just my opinion.
So as i thought, play him for playing hims sake, rather than earning it.

Look, i get that you need to do that from time to time, but i think we are just about at the point where we need to play players who deserve it and force players to knock the door down.

Reply #22

Look, i get that you need to do that from time to time, but i think we are just about at the point where we need to play players who deserve it and force players to knock the door down.
Agree but issue having the depth where you have blokes knocking down the door. 

You don’t want to be gifting games but also need to give blokes a decent block to build some confidence and then you know exactly where they sit.
I would love to give stocker a block of games. From what I have seen from him he has a bigger body then most his age, was strong over the ball and was confident with his disposal.
Give him 5 or 6 games and let’s see what he has. Also very keen to see Kemp later in year.

Reply #23

Mate its round 1 and there have been no reserves games to gauge form, just PS games and training. He must have earnt a spot ahead of others based on pre season training standards and attributes he has that they want to use/exploit. All Im saying is give him a decent run at it then at some point, if he has cut the mustard, see ya later. He was great last night but shows glimpses of what he has. If its in one a row form that's the benchmark? Fine cut him loose.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
On what I've seen tonight, we should have Collingwood's measure.

Reply #25

I think we'll be in with a big show if we come out with the right attitude.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Agree, with DeGoey playing midfield to cover for Treloar they dont have many avenues to goal other than Mihocek who is more of a workhorse than a heavy goal kicker. Saying all that they might get Sidebottom back and that will make them more dangerous.
Very important game for club and the coach next week IMO, another loss and the knives will be out..we should prevail though and I'd expect a 3-4 goal win...

Reply #27
Mate its round 1 and there have been no reserves games to gauge form, just PS games and training. He must have earnt a spot ahead of others based on pre season training standards and attributes he has that they want to use/exploit. All Im saying is give him a decent run at it then at some point, if he has cut the mustard, see ya later. He was great last night but shows glimpses of what he has. If its in one a row form that's the benchmark? Fine cut him loose.
I understand the logic of a block of games, it is a legitimate call. He must be the best trainer at the club though because his preseason form was as bad as his form against the tigers.
But sure pick him for that if you want.

But....looking at the bests from the vfl, and knowing Jack is injured...some changes should be made and I'm not sure we can justify keeping him in....it could cost us a chance at winning....which is unacceptable imo. Pick him as the sub, maybe.

Reply #28
Yes we SHOULD, like us they will be like a wounded animal. I like how English and Martin worked Grundy over, he will ne a tired boy today, will Levi and Pitto be able to continue the tirade? Our defenders have a different fwd line to contend with, the Yank is a monster and a very straight kick so we must a hatch a plan to counter the the supply to him. If he gets silver service, he will be hard to contain.
Williams and Martin will be good ins for us, Teague said in the presser Martin should be right to go, sounds like he nearly played v Rich. Be interesting to see if any other changes come from the VFL sides performance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #29
Tough MC calls this week. I've tried picking the team several times and no matter which way i do it, i can't get LOB in the best 26!

I'll pick the 22, and nominate a sub and show the 'like for like' replacements.

McDonald -> Silvagni (inj)
Martin -> LOB
Williams -> SPS
Kennedy -> SUB

Close to selection....Cottrell, Stocker, Betts,
Close to omission...Williamson, Dow, Casboult

FB - Plowman   Jones  Williamson
HB - Docherty  Weitering  Saad
W - Setterfield  Cripps  Newnes
HF - Martin    McKay   Murphy
FF - McDonald Casboult Fisher
R -  Pittonet     Curnow   Walsh