Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 3652 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Sunday 4:10pm.
A win = 1st place.
A loss = 2nd place (or better)
An absolute thumping MIGHT mean 3rd place at worst.

Not sure how many people will be at the venue, or watching on tv as i think its the same exact start time of the F1 opener around the corner at Albert Park. Not sure that was thought through.

In any event, lets keep up our momentum and get a win over the dogs

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #1
Squad announced....

Backs:   21. Nicola Stevens   36. Jayde Van Dyk   
Half-backs:   9. Kerryn Harrington   11. Jess Hosking   6. Gab Pound
Centreline:   2. Katie Loynes   10. Sarah Hosking   15. Chloe Dalton
Half-forwards:   4. Madison Prespakis   7. Tayla Harris   16. Breann Moody
Forwards:   3. Darcy Vescio   1. Brianna Davey   
Followers:   30. Alison Downie   19. Georgia Gee   14. Brooke Walker
Interchange:   20. Charlotte Wilson   5. Abbie McKay   18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd
8. Amelia Mullane   12. Lauren Brazzale   17. Courtney Webb
24. Reni Hicks      

Hicks and Webb included in the squad.

Reply #2
I'm tempted to pencil this one in as a win.  The Bulldogs have been underwhelming and our footy has improved with each game.

Our finals prospects are in the girls' hands and I think that they are safe hands  :)

I'm a "roady" at the John Power benefit concert on Sunday - sound check at 1745 - so I won't see this game live.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Final teams are in....

Backs:   21. Nicola Stevens   36. Jayde Van Dyk   
Half-backs:   9. Kerryn Harrington   11. Jess Hosking   6. Gab Pound
Centreline:   2. Katie Loynes   10. Sarah Hosking   15. Chloe Dalton
Half-forwards:   4. Madison Prespakis   7. Tayla Harris   16. Breann Moody
Forwards:   3. Darcy Vescio   1. Brianna Davey   
Followers:   30. Alison Downie   19. Georgia Gee   14. Brooke Walker
Interchange:   20. Charlotte Wilson   5. Abbie McKay   18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd
8. Amelia Mullane   12. Lauren Brazzale   
Emergencies:   32. Nat Plane   17. Courtney Webb   

No change from last week.

Reply #4
Geelong's loss last night wraps up top spot doesn't it?

Reply #6
Geelong's loss last night wraps up top spot doesn't it?

Not entirely, but basically yes.

We need to lose by 6+ goals
and
Lions need to win by 6+ goals

(or a 72+ point difference overall)

and then it comes down to 0.1% as to who takes top.

Reply #7
The Blues have won by 3 points! That is a 10+ goal turnaround since last year!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Overseas at present,  so haven't seen the game.
Scores suggest we came out all guns blazing only to concede 5 goals in the last and hang on to a narrow lead. A win's a win and a final's a final at any rate. Sounds like our Rugby girls have more than adapted to the code  ;D

Congratulations to all our girls and staff on this historic achievement. Well done.

Go Blues - finally finals bound
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #9
I can only repeat what I said previously, bravo Harf & Co., and of course the players (inspiring stuff, gals) on a magnificent turnaround from this time last year. Brilliant all concerned.

(Ps I went outside at 3/4 time to continue with the renovations thinking we had it in the bag but hoping they (Dishlickers) wouldn't mount a huge, last gasp, nothing-to-lose last qtr with the wind, gulp, they did! But we got the choccies).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
I listened on the wireless during a slow trip up the Geelong Highway and the commentators were basically barracking for the Doggies.  It was good that we settled and hung on for the win.

The 100m penalty is an abomination and should be put down.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Game was dictated by the wind. Dogs had it in the last and thankfully we had a big enough lead at the last change to hold them off.

Didn't have a lot to gain from that game, but have come out of it with a win and some confidence and momentum into finals.

Reply #12
I listened on the wireless during a slow trip up the Geelong Highway and the commentators were basically barracking for the Doggies.

I was worried I might be paranoid about that, but I picked up on it as well! Through one extended passage of play they barely called the name of any Carlton players, despite Carlton continually forcing turnovers and winning contests it was "Doggies have another chance....", "Doggies lose the football....", "Doggies building again....", "Doggies can get a run on...", etc, etc, etc..! :o ;D

(Ps I went outside at 3/4 time to continue with the renovations thinking we had it in the bag but hoping they (Dishlickers) wouldn't mount a huge, last gasp, nothing-to-lose last qtr with the wind, gulp, they did! But we got the choccies).

I was like yourself and only got glimpses and broken radio commentary, from the sounds of it Prespakis must have had a massive game, when she was on the field it seemed like Brennan and the other big names Dogs went missing! Can you imagine this girl with another pre-season or two under her belt?

From the other bits and pieces Pound and Van Dyk are having a golden run of form. Downie is having a consistent season with another solid performance. Davey keeps influencing, and she is doing so without the obvious dominance she has had in the past which is great because we no longer lose momentum when she is off the field.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
WESTERN BULLDOGS             0.2       0.7       0.7       5.8 (38)
CARLTON                                3.2       5.2       5.5       6.5 (41)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Blackburn, Brennan, Birch, McCarthy, Huntington
Carlton: Walker 3, Dalton 2, Harris

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Conti, Blackburn, McCarthy, Lamb, Brennan
Carlton: Walker, Davey, Dalton, Prespakis, Harris, Stevens

INJURIES
Western Bulldogs: Nil
Carlton: Nil

Reports: Nil
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
I was worried I might be paranoid about that, but I picked up on it as well! Through one extended passage of play they barely called the name of any Carlton players, despite Carlton continually forcing turnovers and winning contests it was "Doggies have another chance....", "Doggies lose the football....", "Doggies building again....", "Doggies can get a run on...", etc, etc, etc..! :o ;D

I was like yourself and only got glimpses and broken radio commentary, from the sounds of it Prespakis must have had a massive game, when she was on the field it seemed like Brennan and the other big names Dogs went missing! Can you imagine this girl with another pre-season or two under her belt?

From the other bits and pieces Pound and Van Dyk are having a golden run of form. Downie is having a consistent season with another solid performance. Davey keeps influencing, and she is doing so without the obvious dominance she has had in the past which is great because we no longer lose momentum when she is off the field.

Brennan played almost exclusively as a key forward.....which i was happy to see. We were able to keep the ball away from her most of the game from that.

re Davey....
obvious dominance is an interesting choice of words.

We've discussed 2 week ago (?) when you left her out of the votes, despite leading the majority of key stat categories.
But again, yesterday, from the carlton girls
Davey
Possessions (1st)
Contested possessions (1st)
Clearances (1st) -----She had 9, next best was prespakis with 4.
Tackles (1st) -----She had 11, next best was 2 girls with 4
DE% (4th) ---- despite clearly being at the coalface, (above 3 stats) she still used it better than most. FWIW, Walker had 5 touches @100%, Pound 15 @ 73.3, Downie 12 @91.7

I'm not sure about you, but her dominance has been pretty obvious to me and others, including the stat sheet.

I think the other girls are having more influence than they have had previously, which may mean the gap has shortened, but Davey is still dominating.