Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 22: Post Game Intelligent Discussion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 13924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 22: Post Game Intelligent Discussion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #45
As so often happens, the perp gets away scot-free and the retaliator cops it, especially if the perp is a deity.

This is Jed Lamb we're talking about. ;) :D
He was probably up to some shenanigans well before the incident. ;D

Reply #46
I think if Kerridge was to come in he should be played at half forward. He tackles and gets the football and by god we need anyone who can hold the ball in the forward line.

Besides getting murdered out of the middle, the Dogs got it out of our forward 50 far too easily. Hes also a decent shot for goal.

And don't let anyone tell you umpiring doesn't influence results. Aside from the the Bontempelli fiasco, it would be nice if there was some consistency with the holding the ball or incorrect disposal decisions. At critical times when we had momentum we got dudded on a few obvious ones and the Bulldogs got goals at the other end.

Dow's free when he put us in front was the only crucial one that went our way all day.

I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #47
I think if Kerridge was to come in he should be played at half forward. He tackles and gets the football and by god we need anyone who can hold the ball in the forward line.

Besides getting murdered out of the middle, the Dogs got it out of our forward 50 far too easily. Hes also a decent shot for goal.

And don't let anyone tell you umpiring doesn't influence results. Aside from the the Bontempelli fiasco, it would be nice if there was some consistency with the holding the ball or incorrect disposal decisions. At critical times when we had momentum we got dudded on a few obvious ones and the Bulldogs got goals at the other end.

Dow's free when he put us in front was the only crucial one that went our way all day.
For me it was the defensive "handovers" that we screwed up on the weekend. They kicked a few goals from blokes on their own in the F50 due to sloppy defence and communication.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
For me it was the defensive "handovers" that we screwed up on the weekend. They kicked a few goals from blokes on their own in the F50 due to sloppy defence and communication.

Yes, I get the strong impression that we still haven't got ourselves properly organised down back. Doesn't help that our midfield is so poor resulting in the defence too often being under seige.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
Yes, I get the strong impression that we still haven't got ourselves properly organised down back. Doesn't help that our midfield is so poor resulting in the defence too often being under seige.

Their mids tore us a new one it was obvious on the day, after that it became more about what they do with the ball than what we do! We are just lucky despite all the ball they won they looked disorganized and disheveled.

I think Beveridge is a coach who had a formulaic approach that worked almost by surprise in the first season and a bit. Now that it's been picked apart at the highest level by the better teams it's only likely to work erratically against weaker opponents. if our mids had provided more run and pressure we might well have won, because our defence did well forcing the Bulldogs to become indecisive for almost 3-1/2 quarters.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
A lot of the time our defence looks OK but it's those occasional lapses into confusion that show we don't quite have it 100% yet. BB seems determined to persevere with it though. A better midfield would no doubt be a big help.

Reply #51
A lot of the time our defence looks OK but it's those occasional lapses into confusion that show we don't quite have it 100% yet. BB seems determined to persevere with it though. A better midfield would no doubt be a big help.

Docherty and Williamson will make a huge difference.
One is AA and the other is a very tough competitor with speed, size and a good kick.

Reply #52
Docherty and Williamson will make a huge difference.
One is AA and the other is a very tough competitor with speed, size and a good kick.

How is Williamson?.....is he back doing light training, heard conflicting reports about how serious his back injuries are?
Really want him back in the team as he is a class player in the making....

Reply #53
How is Williamson?.....is he back doing light training, heard conflicting reports about how serious his back injuries are?
Really want him back in the team as he is a class player in the making....

He was always going to be out for the season, he is no worse than McKay was a year or so ago!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Watching football at 5am was interesting. Amazing how much more grumpy you get watching footy at that time when things aren't going as they should. Wonder what people in the other room thought hearing some  idiot swear at the phone in a foreign language.  Lol.

Beauty about the Telstra roaming, I can watch on the app with no data charging.

Reply #55
Watching football at 5am was interesting. Amazing how much more grumpy you get watching footy at that time when things aren't going as they should. Wonder what people in the other room thought hearing some  idiot swear at the phone in a foreign language.  Lol.

Beauty about the Telstra roaming, I can watch on the app with no data charging.

Any streaming/buffering issues Jim?

Reply #57
With Charlie, Harry, TDK & Weitering it is clear we have our big man stocks sorted out for the future, especially with Kerr, Macreadie and hopefuly Ben Silvagni to come through. I think with Docherty, Byrne, Plowman, Marchbank, SoJ, Williamson,  & Schumacher means I believe we have our future defence and utilities sorted. What we need sorted is our midfield mosquito fleet supporting Cripps. Dow, O'Brien, SPS, Fisher, Pickett, Garlett, Lang, Kennedy, Cunningham, Polson and those we bring in through the next draft need to improve and build up our mid-field and small forward pressure and goal kicking ability. That is what I got out of Sunday's game.

Reply #58
Occasional but short periods and not that often.

Good to know for future reference. Thanks Jim.

Reply #59
Is it just me or does others notice that Obrien is tracking along nicely and considering the midfield he has found himself in, he has delivered a very decent first year. Dow gets the credit but this kid is tracking very well in Dows shadow.

I know he has a long way to go but he hits a target by foot as good as any of our kids, in fact Im more comfortable with the ball in this kids hand then many of our senior guys.

Plus his fitness is amazing for a first year player. The kid runs and runs and is one of the few that finds space late in games.

He doesn't have the tricks of Dow but im confident this kid will make it.