St Kilda (ES)
Sydney (SCG
North (ES)
Freo (PS)
Gold Coast (ES)
Geelong (ES)
Port (AO)
Scum (MCG)

In the run home if we account for those players we will get back, I don't see any reason why we can't achieve the above.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Re: The Run Home

Reply #16
Ok serious question time...

If we are happy with 8 wins in a season and losing to Melbourne why did we sack Ratten?

Because the value of a head coach isn't judged on game science alone. In a realistic sense head coach has duty to direct many of the other departments and people that exist to support the overall vision (which he is responsible for delivering). It's fair to say that a group has to be pulling in the same direction to achieve success. It's been reported that Ratts wasn't that way inclined, that there were some difficulties around managing people, and that he interpreted difference of opinion as personally offensive rather rather than professionally constructive. His forte is predominately the science of the game , rather than that, as well as science of people and the organization. That's why he is an excellent assistant coach. Clearly it had more to do with lack of faith in him as head coach in broader sense, rather than win loss record, the club even implied as such.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #17
Facts D_U, let's deal with the cold hard facts.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
Obviously I can't substantiate what's been reported in the media so you got me on that one. What I can say though, is that a person that should know, has told me that since his arrival, MM has put into place various long overdue structures that were otherwise lacking.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #19
Anyway I didn't want this to turn into a Malthouse thread so.......
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
I dont think its possible to totally avoid it doing so. So much of other discussions  topics benefit from the contextual link.

― Mark Twain

Reply #21
Yeah well fair enough. I hope I don't get in trouble! No doubt many will accuse me of starting this thread to top up my so called agenda.:P

Anyway, once again, his structures don't seem to be working thus far. In the end coaches are judged by wins and losses and position on the ladder and ATM, it isn't working from my perspective and no I don't think 8 wins is anywhere near enough and no I will not buy into any 'structures in place' excuses should we be 8 wins at the end of the year.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #22
Yeah well fair enough. I hope I don't get in trouble! No doubt many will accuse me of starting this thread to top up my so called agenda.:P

Anyway, once again, his structures don't seem to be working thus far. In the end coaches are judged by wins and losses and position on the ladder and ATM, it isn't working from my perspective and no I don't think 8 wins is anywhere near enough and no I will not buy into any 'structures in place' excuses should we be 8 wins at the end of the year.

Can't see how you can be blamed, Shadsey asked the question, and a relevant one at that.

Fair enough re your opinion on MM and win ratio, you should express what you think, after all that's what the site is for.

― Mark Twain

Reply #23
Might I add if we managed to get a few players back as mentioned and we could knock a few of those other sides off and end up with 11 wins I think that performance would have some merit. We could just as easily only get 5-6 wins for the year as well, that would be a disaster.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
Might I add if we managed to get a few players back as mentioned and we could knock a few of those other sides off and end up with 11 wins I think that performance would have some merit. We could just as easily only get 5-6 wins for the year as well, that would be a disaster.

TBH I have a good feeling about the second half of the year. With Judd returning, and some of the other players  growing in confidence you just never know.

― Mark Twain

Reply #25
Oh, and MM's offensive defensive strategy will help 2 lol

― Mark Twain

Reply #26
It's a bit relative isn't it.

If someone had said to you after the Richmond final last year......would you be happy with eight wins next year?.....you would have told them not to be stupid.

You probably would have still said the same after the Swans game.

After Round 4 this year you would have probably said "Yes please.....I'll take that!"

Right now, in this thread, we're probably 50/50 OK with it.

But eight is a disappointment if we finish up there .......because it means we're back to pre -2008 levels in terms of win/loss.

Reply #27
Ok serious question time...

If we are happy with 8 wins in a season and losing to Melbourne why did we sack Ratten?

At the start of this season? No.
At the end of 2012? screw no.

Expectations change though. We're comfortable with it because of the "if Mick can't do it, no one can" attitude and everyone at the club having a stake in Mick keeping his job

Reply #28
That's the thing, we're not being unreasonable in our expectations are we?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #29
Thanks Denim...

I to am not trying to turn this into a Ratten thing but if we look at this objectively.

Ratten was sacked because he was perceived to have underperformed. We said top 4 was the goal and were top of the ladder at 4-1 after 5 rounds.

He was sacked as 11 wins and a loss to the Gold Coast was deemed unacceptable for this list.

Now we have a coach who most are happy with, to win 8 games and lose to Melbourne with, because he said the list isn't good enough. Again, if Ratten won 11 games and we played finals last year (by default, but still won one), why are we judging coaches on different criteria and accepting mediocrity from one but not the other?

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset