Skip to main content
Topic: The Game Plan - Better, Worse Or Non-Existent ?? (Read 25828 times) previous topic - next topic

The Game Plan - Better, Worse Or Non-Existent ??

All season we have wondered about the Malthouse game-plan and whether the players were capable of carrying it out.

There was the hog-the-boundary scheme which frustrated everyone, then there was the quick-transition-to-the-corridor add-on which did seem to garner some strong results.

Now, after a long period of losses, neither option is as apparent and has to be part of the onfield failing.

Has anyone noticed something different to this recently ??

Is the problem that we don't have the players with the skills to make any game-plan work ??

Or, is there a better option that could be implemented ??  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Game Plan - Better, Worse Or Non-Existent ??

Reply #1
It's variable.

There is no right answer.  No opponent plays the same way twice which automatically tells you nothing about the plan.  We have not been consistent this season making it difficult to gauge whether the players can or cannot do it, and often your mind will change during one match let alone a long run of games.  Weather is variable, form, venue (we have played better at Etihad this season) and even team selection has chopped and changed a lot.

We are a consistently inconsistent football side that can mix it with the best and fail against the rest at any given week.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
This is not recent but I have noticed some forward structure at times this year for the 1st time in a long time. I don't know if the kudos should go to MM or Greene but I have definitely noticed a change for the better down there this year!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #3
This is not recent but I have noticed some forward structure at times this year for the 1st time in a long time. I don't know if the kudos should go to MM or Greene but I have definitely noticed a change for the better down there this year!!

Hmmm interesting observation. This improved structure doesn't seem to get results though. Let's hope we don't continue to head down the Pagan like statistics..

Year - Avg points
2014 - 87.8
2013 - 96.5
2012 - 94.5
2011 - 101.1
2010 - 97.4
2009 - 103.1
2008 - 100.8
2007 - 98.5
2006 - 81.5
2005 - 91.6
2004 - 82.9
2003 - 81.1
2002 - 76.5

Reply #4
Scores are down across the board.

Since 2000, the average AFL score has shrunk continuously, from more than 15 goals per team per game to barely 12.5 now. This is despite constant improvement in conditions at all grounds, and from 2001 the utility of a ground, now called Etihad Stadium, where conditions don't matter at all.
This year, the paucity is especially marked. Only Hawthorn and Port Adelaide are averaging more than 100 points a game. The bottom three teams - Melbourne, Brisbane and St Kilda - are all averaging fewer than 65 points. The Demons, Roos-ian goodwill notwithstanding - are scoring almost a goal a game less than last year and nearly two goals a game less than in 2012.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-conundrum-where-have-all-the-goals-gone-20140716-ztrb0.html#ixzz37nvX721E
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
2.5 goals over 14 years is nothing compared to 9 points in a year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Scores are down across the board.

Since 2000, the average AFL score has shrunk continuously, from more than 15 goals per team per game to barely 12.5 now. This is despite constant improvement in conditions at all grounds, and from 2001 the utility of a ground, now called Etihad Stadium, where conditions don't matter at all.
This year, the paucity is especially marked. Only Hawthorn and Port Adelaide are averaging more than 100 points a game. The bottom three teams - Melbourne, Brisbane and St Kilda - are all averaging fewer than 65 points. The Demons, Roos-ian goodwill notwithstanding - are scoring almost a goal a game less than last year and nearly two goals a game less than in 2012.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-conundrum-where-have-all-the-goals-gone-20140716-ztrb0.html#ixzz37nvX721E

I50 are down but so are marks and points.

Feel free to do a more thorough analysis about where players are and whether the ball is going or seeing how we've changed relative to the entire competition but if the structure is better it doesn't seem to be significant and it isn't producing results. We have to work just as hard for our scores.

Reply #7
I'm not sure which plan they used tonight against North, anyone care to enlighten me ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #8
I'm not sure which plan they used tonight against North, anyone care to enlighten me ??

Cautious building up from the back.

Norf score heavily from rushing out of defence and that was taken away.

We appeared to take the ball off them a lot between the 50's and had plenty of guys heading into defence.

BTW Norf are scrubbers.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #9

Thought it was the old MM Collingwood plan.....boundary line chain of kicks and then chipped to the leading forward or squared up about 20m out....Waite and Henderson had better delivery and also
led to better psoitions where there shots on goal were easier.
Nth were very loose and allowed players like Murphy freedom to get loose and it made life easier....their manning up was atrocious......Murphy didnt have an opponent for most of the game....
I would expect Crowley to keep him company next game...

Reply #10
Voss and King said that North's free flowing running game plan is to give off the quick handball after they mark the ball. They showed a whole heap of footage of Carlton players not allowing their opponents to get the easy handball which was forcing the guy who marked the ball to kick.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
Yep, it was clear that the team was well-organised last night.  They handed off well when manning the mark and protected the right areas to prevent North running from behind.  You'd have to give a fair part of the credit to MM.  The question would be whether our boys were strong in that area prior to MM arriving so that he was able to rely on them getting that part right.  I don't think so.  I reckon our previous strategy would have been to match North's desire to free up players to run the ball out of D50 and we'd be happy for it to be a shootout.  Gibbs and Yarran in particular are more defensive now.

It helps, though, that we finally have 3 marking targets to spread their defenders.  I can't remember the last time we had that spread of marking power in F50. 

Reply #12
So Mick Malthouse can change, he proved it last night! :D

If I were Jeff Garlett I'd be nervous, the sluggish Graham showed what real footballers can do without needing to be blessed with pace. The Goldstein bump, goal! The quick chip kick over the pack instead of our usual bombing of the ball, goal!

The tackling from them all, superb, Jeff Garlett take note!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
^^

That nine iron was gold, and that's what I've been trying to say for a long time re Graham, you can't write these guys off until they've had a fair go and even last night the plan was to not give him a fair go but thank God it turned out the way it did. He could very well have gotten another 6 possies and ended up back in the twos. Just terrible treatment of a player, not sure how he's expected to develop under those circumstances. Without naming names, I've had people try to tell me we'd be damaging the club's culture by playing him as little as 3 weeks ago. I guess some will do whatever it takes to oppose me, even if it means coming up with tripe like that.

Really looking forward to seeing the G-man strut his stuff for the rest of the year. I think we saw what his strengths are. Beautiful disposal and great peripheral vision to pick the right option in traffic. He still has to prove himself, hopefully he gets the opportunity to do so.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
You wanted Watson to play last time didn't you carrots?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?