Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 17766 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney

Saturday 23rd July at in Sydney.
I definitely will not be attending. Although one day I will have to see us in Sydney, as I haven't done that yet.

That said, it is not a high probability that we will win. Sydney seems to have to wood over us at the moment, and I don't like that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #1
Well they're gonna be angry after losing to Hawthorn thats for sure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
One week at a time!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Now we can look forward to next week: well, I could if it were on TV. But we don't get on TV much. We must do well for Fox subscribers!

My potential changes for next week:

Out: Charlie Curnow, Lamb, Sumner.
Charlie will probably make way for Levi, who will have done his time. He isn't close to match fit, but he did show some nice signs.
Lamb and Sumner have lost form. Their work rate is good enough, but they are not getting the ball enough. They need some time in the VFL.
Weitering: how fit is he? That could force a change I would rather not have to make. But that will come to pass later in the week.

In: Levi Casboult, Boekhorst, .......
Casbout has done his time and needs to come back in.
Bokehorst finally produced the sort of game that we have been looking for. He can come in for one of Lamb or Sumner.
Who else to bring in is a good question: Jones deserves a game, but I expect us to try Jaksch again. Tutt? Well, he has been emergency a lot lately. Everitt or Walker? I wouldn't on their form and fitness. Gowers? He didn't set the world on fire yesterday, but he did have a good period and must be close.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Now we can look forward to next week: well, I could if it were on TV. But we don't get on TV much. We must do well for Fox subscribers!

Charlie will probably make way for Levi, who will have done his time. He isn't close to match fit, but he did show some nice signs.
Lamb and Sumner have lost form. Their work rate is good enough, but they are not getting the ball enough. They need some time in the VFL.
Weitering: how fit is he? That could force a change I would rather not have to make. But that will come to pass later in the week.

In: Levi Casboult, Boekhorst, .......
Casbout has done his time and needs to come back in.
Bokehorst finally produced the sort of game that we have been looking for. He can come in for one of Lamb or Sumner.
Who else to bring in is a good question: Jones deserves a game, but I expect us to try Jaksch again. Tutt? Well, he has been emergency a lot lately. Everitt or Walker? I wouldn't on their form and fitness. Gowers? He didn't set the world on fire yesterday, but he did have a good period and must be close.

Gowers has had a really good period Crash but his last two games have been average (but still miles ahead of what Lamb and Sumner have been offering).  He kicked a goal yesterday and anyone who can hit the scoreboard has to be a chance.

I'd like to see Casboult supported by another key forward and I suppose Jaksch has to be given another chance.  He is a capable defender and that gives him a very slight edge over Jones.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5

Curnow dropped for Casboult??? WTF??? Been at our absolute worst this year when it's been Levi & no-one else up forward. If anything, the smaller SCG should help Curnow if fitness is his issue. Dropping Curnow simply not gonna happen......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #6
Fair enough. I like what Curnow can do, but he is running around at about 45 - 50% at the moment. I'd like him to get a bit more touch before assuming he is going to be a primary goal kicker.

And I agree totally that Levi should not be on his own. As a single target we are setting ourselves up for failure. We have to have some other targets or we won't score.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
We won't be making too many changes after a 7 point loss to a team out of the top 4 by 3%.
Boekhorst for Lamb and Casboult or Jones for Jaksch would be my changes, Everitt didn't do enough in the VFL to earn a spot.
Whiley should be a chance after a big VFL game but he's never shown much at senior level.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #8
The Swans will be after some revenge after getting pipped last week because that one hurt them, sadly, they will take great pleasure in taking out their frustration on our group.

If we can get inside 10-goals of them, that will be a very good result IMO.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #9
I'd give Weitering a break and play Jaksch at CHB.  I can understand a bloke needing a game or  two to get used to the speed of the main game but a repeat of the poor workrate would not be tolerated.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
I'd give Weitering a break and play Jaksch at CHB.  I can understand a bloke needing a game or  two to get used to the speed of the main game but a repeat of the poor workrate would not be tolerated.

Agree with this. Weiters has looked knackered for a month at least. Jacksh needs to be thrown in the deep end

Reply #11
Agree with this. Weiters has looked knackered for a month at least. Jacksh needs to be thrown in the deep end

If the club  has any doubts about KJ's attitude or application he should be given a few games to find out once and for all.

Reply #12
If the club  has any doubts about KJ's attitude or application he should be given a few games to find out once and for all.

The club will know everything about KJ's attitude and application from the time he's been with us and from SOS's knowledge of him at GWS.  I think that it's more his effort and ability to perform at AFL level that's subject to doubt.

I'd be happy to see him get another go next week but I wouldn't be surprised if he runs out with the NBs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
I'd like to give Weitering a break: you are right, he does need it. His form and confidence have been down lately. His injury may not be major (hope not!), but it does allow us to give him a reasonable rest.
Jaksch needs to have his chance. Last year he showed a bit, but couldn't put it all together. He needs to have a chance now. Sydney might now be the best test for him, nor Hawthorn the week after, but if he can show something in these 2 weeks then he has succeeded. Tests like Sydney and Hawthorn do not get any harder. Get through those and he has shown he is worth continuing with. Other chances will follow and be deserved. Fail, on the other hand, and it tells us, and more importantly the coaching staff, what they NEED to know.

It is one of the reasons I would drop Charlie Curnow. He does need to be tested, but it doesn't have to happen until he is ready for it. I don't think he is ready for it yet. If he comes off, it is a HUGE plus, but it is a risk that we don't need to take. But then, does Levi deserve to come back directly? He has generally not played well against Sydney in the past.

What about Thomas? Does he deserve to come straight back in if he is fit enough? And who does he replace? I would bring him back via the VFL, but that has not generally been the case with him. He has usually been brought back without the chance to find form and assure people of his fitness.

I don't mind us playing with the team structure in the next few weeks. We don't have anything to lose. But I would like to see something like our strongest side for the last few rounds. There we could well get some wins. I would also like to make sure that we know what our strongest side should look like. If the next couple of rounds can shine some light upon that, then they have been well spent. 
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
The club will know everything about KJ's attitude and application from the time he's been with us and from SOS's knowledge of him at GWS.  I think that it's more his effort and ability to perform at AFL level that's subject to doubt.

I'd be happy to see him get another go next week but I wouldn't be surprised if he runs out with the NBs.
Effort is a product of attitude and application. Ability is another matter and you don't necessarily need it to make an effort if you have a good attitude.

Plenty of players with ability have not made it due to poor attitude and application at the AFL level. Let's hope he's not one of them.