Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Post Game Conversations: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 29788 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Post Game Conversations: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #90
Heath Scotland came out after Ratts was sacked and said the only thing that could be said - that the players had Ratts' blood on their hands and made his sacking so much easier for the board, who in all likelihood already had Mick in the bag.

Poor showing by Murph - looked like he didn't care.
Just looked unprepared to me. Would be surprised if the ch9 muppets threw him under the bus.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
Glad there are others who have noticed the same thing...

The bullies can bully because they know the crew we had on the park won't stand up to them!

Our lot appear to me to be too obsessed with the safe working environment, getting home unscathed. I genuinely believe our introverts think "If we don't push them, they won't push us!" But it's AFL kiddies, turning the other cheek just means the opponent will smash both. The sport is full of pricks, if you think you can be nice, stay quiet and safe you put a massive target on your back to end up as road kill!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
Agree...looked like he agreed with the decision to sack Ratten....at the time I probably agreed with Rattens sacking but looking back now given where we are his results were not too bad
given what he had to work with..

He had 5 1/2 years and at the end of it our playing list was rooted, which partly but not wholly explains why we are where we are today.
Undoubtedly the recruiting and list management decisions weren't all down to him but there's no doubt that our list was in worse shape at the end of his tenure than at the beginning.
Make of it what you will.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #93
Just looked unprepared to me. Would be surprised if the ch9 muppets threw him under the bus.

I guess there's that - also, the club probably had him on a very short leash.

Reply #94
Heath Scotland came out after Ratts was sacked and said the only thing that could be said - that the players had Ratts' blood on their hands and made his sacking so much easier for the board, who in all likelihood already had Mick in the bag.

Poor showing by Murph - looked like he didn't care.

Murph interviews like he plays. He reminds me of longshanks son...the thought just doesn't go away

(loved the horn at the end)

Reply #95
I've been waiting for the Green Shoot thread but my patience is wearing thin.

I thought Samo played his best game for us last night.  Obviously he still has a long way to go but his impact on the game was streets ahead of Cuningham and Fisher and he really did make a meaningful contribution to our hopelessly outnumbered midfield.

However, there was one moment in the game that warmed the cockles of my heart.  There was a ball up just outside Geelong's 50 in the last quarter.  As soon as the ball was tossed up, Samo ran past the the contest and ran through J Selwood.  It looked to be a heavy hit although Selwood could have been trying to milk a free.

I don't know if Samo was evening up for one of Selwood's cheap shots against him or a team mate, but for a 19 year old lightweight to take out one of the polished tirds of the game, and get away with it, promises so much for the future.  :)  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
AFL top 10 round 19

H running goal from a huge soccer kick by Charlie. Charlie managed the hands free kick while being mauled by his opponent.

Surprised that Charlie's beautiful one arm grab against Hendo didn't get a gig. He held hendo off with one arm and marked with the other.

Congratulations to H and Charlie.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #97
It's hilarious.

People on this forum want Murphy and Gibbs to go harder.

Some players aren't built for it.  They are not driven by it, and even when going hard will not go like the others who go hard.

They're different types.  Murphy has gotten belted from pillar to post going hard.  He's a smaller sized classy type who can win the hard ball, but can't drop a player.  That's ok, you don't go rally driving with a sports car.

Gibbs is more of an all terrain vehicle.   Doesn't have another gear but can get down and dirty with the best of them, just don't expect any punishment to get dished out by these guys.

You set yourself up for disappointment.

What you are looking for is a tank.  We only have a couple and the only effective ones are on ice for the season.  kerridge looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.   THATS one you should ask questions of.  He finds intensity sparingly
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
He looked like the 25yo put in the spotlight for the biggest story going around at the time. And Sam was goading him to make him look as crap as possible. 

Some Captains have that egotistical swagger, some say arrogance - Murph just doesn't have that, never has. Those types know how to deflect because they're used to bullsh1tting bullsh1tters - Murph wasn't one back then and not one now. He had very obviously been coached to death about what to say and being the good boy he is, he towed the company line.

Meanwhile Scotty was older, had some street smarts and knew by saying what he really thought would do him no damage.

Reply #99
However, there was one moment in the game that warmed the cockles of my heart.  There was a ball up kust outside Geelong's 50 in the last quarter.  As soon as the ball was tossed up, Samo ran past the the contest and ran through J Selwood.  It looked to be a heavy hit although Selwood could have been trying to milk a free.

I don't know if Samo was evening up for one of Selwood's cheap shots against him or a team mate, but for a 19 year old lightweight to take out one of polished tirds of the game, and get away with it, promises so much for the future

Love this - might have to watch the replay just to see this

Reply #100
It's hilarious.

People on this forum want Murphy and Gibbs to go harder.

Some players aren't built for it.  They are not driven by it, and even when going hard will not go like the others who go hard.

They're different types.  Murphy has gotten belted from pillar to post going hard.  He's a smaller sized classy type who can win the hard ball, but can't drop a player.  That's ok, you don't go rally driving with a sports car.

Gibbs is more of an all terrain vehicle.   Doesn't have another gear but can get down and dirty with the best of them, just don't expect any punishment to get dished out by these guys.

You set yourself up for disappointment.

What you are looking for is a tank.  We only have a couple and the only effective ones are on ice for the season.  kerridge looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.   THATS one you should ask questions of.  He finds intensity sparingly

It's hilarious

Imagine John Longmire saying that about two of his mids and one being the captain.

Seriously they're our captain and vice captain and two of our highest paid players and you want to make excuses for them?

Why? Because that's not their go.
Wow that is exactly why we are in the position we are in.

We continue to accept this crap.

When did Carlton become so pathetic

Reply #101
Murphy and Gibbs are fine, early in the year Murphy was tackling as hard and ferocious as anyone. I suspect the change is that he is now carrying an injury.

I'm more worried about the general passiveness of our list, initially the young kids seemed to show aggression, there were clear signs we stuck up for each other. But as the year progressed they have become more and more submissive, they too could be carrying injuries we don't know about. In the absence of ACoS it seems Daisy is now about the most aggressive player we have!

Probably the only player who has progressed in the positive direction is Charlie Curnow, it's clear he isn't happy getting picked off at the edge of the herd! When opposition attempt to bully or push him about he goes up a gear, which is the right thing to do if you want to avoid being a victim!

I'll be super pissed off if we find post season a bunch of these kids have been played injured barely before they stopped growing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
When Bolton came on board, part of his reset was to assess the captaincy and leadership group. I don't remember the exact process, but Murph was voted back in as the Captain, with I believe, Bolton's full backing.

Now whether you think this process was fair dinkum or a load of PR mumbo jumbo is up to you.

It's the Casboult principle - we play Murph and Gibbs, and make them Captain / Vice Captain, because other potential candidates are too young or unsuitable. I.e, there really isn't anyone else at this point.

Reply #104
Question is.... have things changed twelve months down the track?
I'd like to see a change...I even wonder whether Murphy wouldn't mind being relieved of the captaincy.