Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Post Game Conversations: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 29678 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Post Game Conversations: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #60
Looks like with injuries and tired young players the last few games are going to be painful. Still up until round 17 we were super competitive, made life miserable for nearly every side we played, actually led 5 times in the last qtr and lost, have had 5 rising star nominations, and Harry could well make 6 before the year is out, we're on the right track. We'll be a much better side again next year with another year under the belt of these young players.

Think I'd rest a few young players next week and bring in some bigger bodies like Palmer, Smedts, and even Jaksch so to give Weitering a rest. They're strugglers admittedly but in a couple of cases there are workers too. The young blokes are out on their feet.

Reply #61
The pinning of arms and driving his head into the turf is 'fair?' Does the arrogance of this Dangerfield character know no bounds?

But, alas, Cotchin and Dangerfield are two AFL designated players to be cut more slack than anyone else.

Agree. Smacks of inequity and boys club, which IS the AFL.
Watson was another such designated player until an expensive, code denigrating battle took place ???
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #62
Looks like with injuries and tired young players the last few games are going to be painful. Still up until round 17 we were super competitive, made life miserable for nearly every side we played, actually led 5 times in the last qtr and lost, have had 5 rising star nominations, and Harry could well make 6 before the year is out, we're on the right track. We'll be a much better side again next year with another year under the belt of these young players.

Think I'd rest a few young players next week and bring in some bigger bodies like Palmer, Smedts, and even Jaksch so to give Weitering a rest. They're strugglers admittedly but in a couple of cases there are workers too. The young blokes are out on their feet.

X2 well said.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #63
85 tackles by us is a fair effort by current standards - the problem is that when you factor in the number of tackles that we missed or that the Cats managed to break, in combination with the amount of ball they had, the 85 doesn't seem so great.

The ease with which Geelong moved the ball all over the park is a big worry. Our forwards and mids don't apply much pressure, and the back 6 are constantly up against it.

Weitering is a huge worry for mine. He looks like a bloke taken from the 3rd round in the Rookie draft, not a former No 1. If this is our club's idea of development, then watch out.

There seems to be a lot of talk about getting games into kids, as if this will somehow make things alright. I'm not convinced by this. The bigger problem for mine is recruitment and body size. We look puny compared to the Cats. Blokes like Murphy, Fisher, Lamb etc., they can have 200 games under their belt, they will still be puny, and easily brushed off the contest. Big worry IMO.
All good points PaulP, our size especially through the midfield has been an issue for many years, comes back to recruiting if other teams have them , well we should be able to as well.
Thinking similar re Weitering, seems a shadow of when he started, which is sad hope it's not a permanent step back. Running out of players to try some of the kids look knackered and need a rest before we do more damage.injuries have really cut deep so options are Li tied, but we have a few in the NB's that could get us through the last few weeks

Reply #64

I agree with most of that except for resting the kids, they want to play and need to play.
We'll know where we are by round 10 of 2019, until then we just have to back them in.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #65
Nick Stevens had set the "standard"

Stevens was head and shoulders the best midfielder in the worst Carlton team of all time, Matthews, Barassi and Whitten rolled into one couldn't have done anything more.
I saw him punch the ground in frustration when the siren went at Princes Park one day after a particularly abysmal loss, so hard did he find it to accept.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #66
All good points PaulP, our size especially through the midfield has been an issue for many years, comes back to recruiting if other teams have them , well we should be able to as well.
Thinking similar re Weitering, seems a shadow of when he started, which is sad hope it's not a permanent step back. Running out of players to try some of the kids look knackered and need a rest before we do more damage.injuries have really cut deep so options are Li tied, but we have a few in the NB's that could get us through the last few weeks

Yes Rob. Nothing to lose playing whoever is fit and raring to go, irrespective of form, age or skill level. The season results are meaningless from here on in, apart from more pain and suffering and whinging from us.

Reply #67
Stevens was head and shoulders the best midfielder in the worst Carlton team of all time, Matthews, Barassi and Whitten rolled into one couldn't have done anything more.
I saw him punch the ground in frustration when the siren went at Princes Park one day after a particularly abysmal loss, so hard did he find it to accept.

Played with a broken neck for a few weeks too.

Wasn't the worst 'standard' to have been set.

Reply #68

Stevens was a big Ratten fan, which, given certain people's binary world view, is therefore incapable of doing anything good.

Reply #69

Punching the ground after a loss is great.
He didn't run defensively or tackle or take an over head mark for fear of body contact tho.
He may have been the best player in a crap side, but what u don't understand or don't get is that half assed defensive efforts from senior players sets an example for kids.
Do u think it's acceptable that some players stick tackles and others get brushed aside?
If we want to improve we need better leaders, win lose or draw, showing the way.

Reply #70
Stevens was a big Ratten fan, which, given certain people's binary world view, is therefore incapable of doing anything good.

Yet at one stage Ratten had him running around in the VFL and Darren Pfeiffer in the seniors, go figure.
When it got to the ridiculous stage after a couple of 100 point thrashings good old Ratts came to his senses, then lost them again when he played Hoops as sub in his 200th game.
Stevo may have been a Ratten fan but I sure wasnt, great player but a disaster as a coach.

Reply #71
Yet at one stage Ratten had him running around in the VFL and Darren Pfeiffer in the seniors, go figure.
When it got to the ridiculous stage after a couple of 100 point thrashings good old Ratts came to his senses, then lost them again when he played Hoops as sub in his 200th game.
Stevo may have been a Ratten fan but I sure wasnt, great player but a disaster as a coach.

Maybe Ratts knew footy wasn't a one way game and was trying to teach him.
I think I will take Ratts knowledge and understanding of what was needed over Stevens one way footy

Reply #72
Punching the ground after a loss is great.
He didn't run defensively or tackle or take an over head mark for fear of body contact tho.

That must have been how he got his neck busted, by avoiding body contact.
We all see the game differently, I thought that Stevens went as hard as anyone and harder than most but became a whipping boy for frustrated supporters like Murphy is for some now.
We'll agree to disagree.

Reply #73

I've been given a polite nudge by Lods to stay away from the Ratten talk, but calling him a disaster as a coach is the biggest load of puke inducing nonsense I've ever heard.

Reply #74
I've been given a polite nudge by Lods to stay away from the Ratten talk, but calling him a disaster as a coach is the biggest load of puke inducing nonsense I've ever heard.

We'll agree to disagree.