Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Fixture (Read 19221 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Fixture

Rumour is that we will be playing the Cats at Geelong next season!

We have no home ground because of the AFL and now we're going to have to play the only ViC club with a distinct home ground advantage. I am utterly sick of Geelong being pampered by the state Govt, AFL and the media.

How the F#*+K are we supposed to get to watch the game?!!

Re: 2018 Fixture

Reply #1

We have no home ground because of the AFL and now we're going to have to play the only ViC club with a distinct home ground advantage. I am utterly sick of Geelong being pampered by the state Govt, AFL and the media.

Quite simply, you dont and its a joke.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2

If we play them in Geelong it will be because we are no longer a big enough draw to demand the game gets played in Melbourne, much like what happened with the draw this year with their game with Richmond.

Geelong are a Geelong club, not a Melbourne club and unlike us and other Melbourne clubs they made the decision to invest heavily in the redevelopment of their stadium, with assistance particularly from the council. They were down the path of only playing interstate teams this way. They created this situation and generally now have the right to demand their games down this way.

We could have taken this path, but we chose to leave our home ground.

We might well end up playing Hawthorn or North in Tasmania as well if we can't draw crowds here anymore.

The solution? Start winning games and drawing big crowds again.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #3

I'm looking forward to that one; 20 minutes from home ... and we're a chance to upset the smug kents ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
If we play them in Geelong it will be because we are no longer a big enough draw to demand the game gets played in Melbourne, much like what happened with the draw this year with their game with Richmond.

Geelong are a Geelong club, not a Melbourne club and unlike us and other Melbourne clubs they made the decision to invest heavily in the redevelopment of their stadium, with assistance particularly from the council. They were down the path of only playing interstate teams this way. They created this situation and generally now have the right to demand their games down this way.

We could have taken this path, but we chose to leave our home ground.

We might well end up playing Hawthorn or North in Tasmania as well if we can't draw crowds here anymore.

The solution? Start winning games and drawing big crowds again.

Have to disagree. We were the fourth highest drawing team in 2017! Only beaten by Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. In the late 1990s Elliot planned a development including lights and an underground car park to be shared with Unimelb. A capacity of 40-50000 was mooted. Unfortunately for us there was a Mr Fitzpatrick leading a private equity group that was involved in the development of Colonial Stadium and they wanted tenants. Messers Kennett and Demetriou were also keen on Colonial Stadium. The former drawing closer to an election that he would eventually lose and he didn't want to upset his voters in Carlton. No help for us. Geelong has been gifted funding from the AFL and both Liberal and Labor state governments. They have a ground that is narrow and long which gives them a distinct playing advantage over teams that rarely play there. The AFL has helped them way too much.

Reply #5
Have to disagree. We were the fourth highest drawing team in 2017! Only beaten by Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. In the late 1990s Elliot planned a development including lights and an underground car park to be shared with Unimelb. A capacity of 40-50000 was mooted. Unfortunately for us there was a Mr Fitzpatrick leading a private equity group that was involved in the development of Colonial Stadium and they wanted tenants. Messers Kennett and Demetriou were also keen on Colonial Stadium. The former drawing closer to an election that he would eventually lose and he didn't want to upset his voters in Carlton. No help for us. Geelong has been gifted funding from the AFL and both Liberal and Labor state governments. They have a ground that is narrow and long which gives them a distinct playing advantage over teams that rarely play there. The AFL has helped them way too much.
slight correction.

Ian Collins not mike Fitzpatrick.

Had Elliott not been a dill with the management of our salary cap, we wouldn't have been in that mess to begin with.

He is at fault for all of it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
I'm looking forward to that one; 20 minutes from home ... and we're a chance to upset the smug kents ????

You must live close to me.

Reply #7

So Geelong is not entitled to have a home ground you are saying?
That should in fact be forced to play in a different city 1 hour away?

Our mismanagement of our football club meant there was no way we could afford to continue playing games at our home ground. We done that. We ran our club badly, no one made us. If Geelong was able to obtain funding for their stadium that is because they were able to convince those with the cheque books that it was a good investment.
They (like any club) have a right to play their home games at their home stadium. It makes them a lot of money playing home games. We don't often fill stadiums anymore and if Geelong can make more money playing us in Geelong then why wouldn't they put that forward as a request? Wouldn't we do exactly the same thing if we could make more money playing teams at Princes Park?

Carlton used to be a huge drawcard everywhere we played, be it Melbourne, Geelong or interstate, but at the moment we are not. You quote Richmond, yet Richmond had to play in Geelong this year.

I don't get why we feel as a club we have more of a divine right to determine where we play our away games. Like I said if North or Hawthorn want to put us forward as one of their games in Tasmania, well it is their home game... Melbourne (for example) have had to travel their (and to Kardinia Park) many times over the years.

I stick by it, if we want to force our games to be in Melbourne we need to ensure they are always sellouts.

In any case in the future I can see Geelong playing all of their home games back in Geelong

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #8
Min1, it's the surreptitious, sly , incremental shift back to boutique stadia that ticks me off.

Cats, Bulldogs and Hawks and Cheats FC (I believe) have, or are lobbying for, public funds to fund boutique stadia.... something that the CFC foresaw 25 years ago and funded itself.  This was then used by the then AFL to bankrupt the club and make us malleable to the whims of those in charge...

The boutique stadium that is required is already extant, funny that it gets used for the AFLW etc and ignored due to "parking" issues etc.... 30 000 AFLW sel-lout was lauded if IIRC, yet the ground is regarded as not up to snuff for men's AFL games!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #9
Min1, it's the surreptitious, sly , incremental shift back to boutique stadia that ticks me off.

Cats, Bulldogs and Hawks and Cheats FC (I believe) have, or are lobbying for, public funds to fund boutique stadia.... something that the CFC foresaw 25 years ago and funded itself.  This was then used by the then AFL to bankrupt the club and make us malleable to the whims of those in charge...

The boutique stadium that is required is already extant, funny that it gets used for the AFLW etc and ignored due to "parking" issues etc.... 30 000 AFLW sel-lout was lauded if IIRC, yet the ground is regarded as not up to snuff for men's AFL games!
Exactly right Prof E. We were robbed of our home stadium because of a political situation involving some heavy hitters. I'm not against Geelong playing at their home stadium against interstate teams. We ARE the 4th highest drawing club in the AFL therefore the crowd argument doesn't gel.

Reply #10
Exactly right Prof E. We were robbed of our home stadium because of a political situation involving some heavy hitters. I'm not against Geelong playing at their home stadium against interstate teams. We ARE the 4th highest drawing club in the AFL therefore the crowd argument doesn't gel.
We were robbed of our home stadium by hippy greenies in Parkville, plain and simple.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
We were robbed of our home stadium by hippy greenies in Parkville, plain and simple.

Quite true, but Kennett and friends were so keen to build Colonial that  they were not going to help overcome local objections and were prepared to see us bankrupt. Also, let's not forget that Ian Collins took us away from Carlton and was rewarded with the plum job of running the stadium once we were ensconced.

Reply #12
Who tends to play best at the G in September??  Those who are most exposed to the G during the year.  Interstate teams MAY have an advantage in home and away matches but Freo WCE Adelaide Swans GWS don’t feel fully comfortable at the G. In time Geelong will be the same. Used to playing on their long skinny ground, they too will find it more difficult to adapt to the size of the G.

Reply #13

So categorically it should be their supporters (that are mainly in Geelong and the Western District) that should have to travel to appease opposition fans?

There is absolutely no reason at all Geelong cannot choose to play their home game at their home ground..
Oh last year we played them at Docklands in front of a massive 35,000 crowd. Geelong is going to make a LOT more money in front of 34,000 at Kardinia Park.

Our crowd numbers had us 6th overall on average. 5th of Victorian clubs and only an average of 330 more than Hawthorn.
Our average numbers per game were 39710. Despite the 5 blockbuster games with the biggest drawing crowds of Richmond, Essendon & Collingwood.

We are not a a big draw card anymore and if you go back to 2011 when we were averaging 50,000+ a game sure..
I can't see a Victorian game Carlton sold out in 2017.

And despite all of that Geelong is a Geelong club, not a Melbourne club and can play all their home games in Geelong if they so choose.
Once again why should it be on their supporters from their home town to have to travel up to Melbourne to suit Carlton that seems like nonsense to me.

IF we were in their boots, we would demand the right to play our home games against who we saw fit to maximise our profits.
There is absolutely zero reason why Geelong should be forced to only play interstate clubs at their home ground, none at all.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #14
The problem i have with playing the cats down there is not about playing them down there because we are now a lowly club.

The problem i have is when we were both up and running, we still had to play them at Etihad and not at the MCG. We could knock them off at the 'G, never could at Etihad.

Once we FINALLY knock them off at Etihad, they move it to a harder ground for us to try and win at.