Skip to main content
Topic: Chopper Read passes away  (Read 14937 times) previous topic - next topic

Chopper Read passes away

Saw on the news before. 

Had liver cancer. 

A Collingwood man too apparently. 

Be interesting to see whether or not the 'Pies old timers go to the funeral...Shaw, Rene Kink etc. 

Opinions?

Re: Chopper Read passes away

Reply #1
Lived a hell of a life, but managed to turn himself around. I enjoyed reading his yarns. I must admit, I'm wondering (with a smile) whether he's followed through with his recent statement that he would be requesting an apology from god upon his arrival at the pearly gates.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #2
RIP Chop Chop.  Wonder if Neville "Farkin" Bartos will be at funeral?

Reply #3
Doco on the Crime Channel now. 

He really loved guns. And getting crue cuts.

Reply #4
Doco on the Crime Channel now. 

He really loved guns. And getting crue cuts.

Gozza, could you post the actual name of the documentary so I can search it at later date. Also if you want to get an idea of the environment in which he was exposed to in H division, watch a film called every night every night ( there's a full length version on youtube). Based on a true story involving Christopher Flannery.   Documents the mind games and violent abuse by prison staff on inmates. One of the reasons why Chopper ruled H division in the infamous over coat wars in Pentridge, was because prison staff purposely assisted him as a  means of controlling and breaking the old firm established hardcore inmates. Freaky stuff.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #5
Pretty sure it was just called chopper read. It was all told by him with a bloke interviewing. 

I've also heard other things about chopper that he wasn't the hard c*** he made himself out to be....why he cut his ears off, why he ended up with his illness etc.

Reply #6
Whilst he displayed some sociopathic tendencies, I don't think he was a sociopath. Either by  logic  or human feeling, his focus on ruthlessness was apparently confined to those that were ruthless and preyed on the weaker inmates The reason officers assisted him was because he had an innate tendency to protect the weaker prisoners against the established hardcore psychopaths.

― Mark Twain

Reply #7
Surprisingly there's a multitude of online posts made by prison guards who looked after him, all of which speak of him as hard but fair. 

― Mark Twain

Reply #8
One of the things he said in the documentary was that he didn't prey on the average citizen, but criminals were fair game. He detailed how he belted up a paedophile in prison for example.

What I have heard from some people was that the reason he cut his ears off was so he could stop copping it in the showers and go to hospital. The same reason he ended up with liver cancer as a result from getting HIV. How true that is I'm not sure. Only the conflicting thibgs ive heard. Though those telling me seem well informed about it all.

Self told biographies are not the most reliable.

Reply #9
Apparently Nine is to screen Chopper Read’s final interview tomorrow night, it includes an admission to 4 murders. Ch nine is being grilled for not reporting the admission to police, their response is that they were checking veracity of his information but that he passed away earlier than expected, before check was completed. They have since passed info onto police. Fortunately for chopper he's now beyond the reach of police and prison authorities.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/10/nine-to-screen-chopper-reads-final-interview.html

― Mark Twain

Reply #10
What I have heard from some people was that the reason he cut his ears off was so he could stop copping it in the showers and go to hospital. The same reason he ended up with liver cancer as a result from getting HIV.

Been reported that it was Hep C that led to his demise. I always assumed it was the prison Tatts.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #11
What I have heard from some people was that the reason he cut his ears off was so he could stop copping it in the showers and go to hospital. The same reason he ended up with liver cancer as a result from getting HIV.

Been reported that it was Hep C that led to his demise. I always assumed it was the prison Tatts.

I'd say it was from copping it in the ##### 

There are a lot of things unclear about what actually happened...I don't take his word 100% on too much of it. It will be interesting now that he's passed away of how many people come out and refute his claims. 

Also will be watching the interview tonight on 60 Mins.

Reply #12
Watching it now. 

Fascinating television.

Reply #13
Watching it now. 

Fascinating television.

Let us know what happened when it is finished mate.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #14
He confessed to things we already knew.

I have known 2 people to die of liver cancer and both looked like skeletons in the end...??
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17