Skip to main content
Topic: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread (Read 44358 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread

Reply #195
Far Left and far Right - the natural enemies of common sense and intelligence. The lunatic fringes. 

Finally something to agree with !

Who would have thought that cycling could bring civilization to its knees… 🙄
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #196
In some areas where I live they have set-back public services and maintenance programs by 10 years, on top of the pandemic effects. For example, they rallied to protect one tree, at what is projected to be the equivalent cost of more than 3km of local road or footpath maintenance.

Finally, the Coup d'état. Once they have their little agendas settled, they feck off leaving a pile of undealt with shizen in their wake!

I had a run in with one of them in a Kew polling booth.  Set up a card table on the nature strip, sat down with his BS material and relaxed in his chair while all other parties dutifully stood and did their part, Liberal and Labor alike.  Suffice it to say the green had an ugly Saturday after I finished with him.  Packed up his broken table and left.

Reply #197
Finally something to agree with !

Who would have thought that cycling could bring civilization to its knees… 🙄

Who would have thought everyone else must pay for their traffic lanes  ::)

Reply #199
And they damn well should ! :)  With plates as well

Reply #200
Nothing like keeping healthy by riding your bike along Beach Road, making sure to take good, deep breaths... Making sure those car exhaust fumes go deep into your lungs.  ::)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #201
Nothing like keeping healthy by riding your bike along Beach Road, making sure to take good, deep breaths... Making sure those car exhaust fumes go deep into your lungs.  ::)

So you don't have a car @Baggers ?

Reply #202
And they damn well should ! :)  With plates as well

On ya Einstein 👍🏼
What we really need is more ice vehicles, more pollution, more obesity, more clogged up hospitals for those people, we need to build more car parks and get rid out those pesky tree things whilst we’re at it 👍🏼
What a wonderful world it could be… 🙄
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #203
On ya Einstein 👍🏼
What we really need is more ice vehicles, more pollution, more obesity, more clogged up hospitals for those people, we need to build more car parks and get rid out those pesky tree things whilst we’re at it 👍🏼
What a wonderful world it could be… 🙄

Got better things to do with my day than indulge you  8)

Reply #204
So much world to fork up, so little time…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #205
So you don't have a car @Baggers ?

I was trying to have a subtle sarcastic dig at cyclists on main thoroughfares  ;)  ;)  I was having a dig at those who bike ride to stay fit -- in traffic!! Exposing themselves to extra fumes and going under a vehicle, not to mention rooting up the road traffic.

When we were still in Melbourne and using the Beach Road regularly -- by car -- those &%$**## cyclists were the bane of my existence. Had a few run-ins with some of the more arrogant ones who'd ride many abreast and completely fck up traffic. COckheads.

So to answer your question, CC old cock... yep, got a car... And no fcking treadly.  ;D

But I also take NBs point. Though to stay fit I choose working out at home or in a gym - places where I can keep fit and not root things for others. In the years to come electric cars will help reduce emissions but cyclists on main roads and in busy traffic will put their lives at risk and stuff up traffic flow. And there's a little known medical reality that the treadly seat numbs the perineum, risking prostate health in men.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #206
I love a good dose of sarcasm @Baggers :)  But I had one very bad run in with this mongrel who nearly collected me full bore at a tram stop in Melbourne and told me to get out of his way as he rode thru .... two days later, payback

Reply #207
“Payback”
Really…?
What a fine specimen of humanity you must be, what a guy indeed 👍🏼
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #208
Many are pointing to the heavy investment in batteries by traditional oil companies as a sign the internal combustion engine is dead and buried.

Perhaps the people commenting are too young to remember Sarich and his revolutionary orbital engine, and how the heavy investment in his technology by traditional automotive giants panned out!

Given the heavy investment in hydrogen powered vehicles by the like of Mercedes and Toyota, and the potential for hydrogen combustion to bridge the gap between conventional combustion and fuel cell technology, I think the proclamation is premature. Plus from an investment perspective, hydrogen combustion fits right in with existing plant workflows.

Also, I think the concept of generating your own "at home hydrogen" using solar, for on demand use by storage in a MOFs, also has huge potential to smash the battery based industry. To be competitive with the Hydrogen / MOFs technologies, in the absence of subsidies, batteries need to become an order of magnitude cheaper much longer lasting and fully recyclable.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #209
From the Guardian:

'Back in 2017, AGL was publicly heavied by the Turnbull government after it announced the early closure of its Liddell coal plant in New South Wales. The Coalition argued long and loud that the company should significantly delay the closure or sell it to another operator that would.

AGL’s then chief executive, Andy Vesey, persisted with his plan to replace Liddell with renewable energy and storage, but ended up leaving the company in August 2018. It was later revealed that Josh Frydenberg, then the environment and energy minister, had called AGL board members to suggest they get rid of him.'

Now it’s clear that Mike Cannon-Brookes has stopped AGL’s “de-merger” and will move the company away from coal-fired power generation.  Cannon-Brookes says that will result in lower prices for consumers and I suspect that he knows what he’s talking about.

It’s probably not such an issue with a Labor government but it’s good to know that successful business folk can counter government inaction.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball