Skip to main content
Topic: Meatloaf Dead.. (Read 2533 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Meatloaf Dead..

Reply #15
I know what you mean, but I have written two books on this type of music trivia.  I always try to fine two independant sources or quotes before including it.  A lot of figures are based on charts and records from America, England  Australia.  The difficulty happened when Asia built a pirate black market which blew out figures.  I don't include those...

Just out of curiosity, do you know all those "Australian Idol" BS figures worked?

Rumours of singles going to #1 before they are even released etc.
Suggestions that its the record companies buying up their own stock to inflate those figures etc.

Reply #16
Record companies released press statements that an album has been "shipped platinum", where the albums were shipped to stores only to have them returned at a later date.

These days, sadly, record companies pump up how many streams a song has had.  A million streams is worth about $10,000 to the artist and is killing the viability of music.

It's a bit like journalists quoting social media as a source for a story.  You have to be careful about what you believe...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #17
Thanks for the black market thought, not something I'd considered.

Of course when some of us oldies hear or read album we think vinyl, but I appreciate that is not the truth of the matter, but I wonder if it describes a potential source of difference in the figures.

For example, some classic albums I've originally purchased as vinyl, then perhaps tape, followed by CD and maybe even DVD, finally to end with an iTunes download! Don't ask me why, lazy I guess, but it may certainly inflate some figures for identifiably classic albums!

Recently I read about Tones and I, sales some of music histories greats could only dream about, and not a single pressing, ongoing overheads are effectively zero!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
And surely Thriller and DSOTM would register similar amounts

Reply #19
....and Gene Pitney's Big Sixteen. ;D

Reply #21
Would've thought The Beatles should be up there somewhere too.

Perhaps but way too many albums from their catalogue would count against them to overtake the others.  Line up 10 Beatles fans to nominate their favourite album and you'd never get 10 common replies.

Reply #22
Thanks for the black market thought, not something I'd considered.

Of course when some of us oldies hear or read album we think vinyl, but I appreciate that is not the truth of the matter, but I wonder if it describes a potential source of difference in the figures.

For example, some classic albums I've originally purchased as vinyl, then perhaps tape, followed by CD and maybe even DVD, finally to end with an iTunes download! Don't ask me why, lazy I guess, but it may certainly inflate some figures for identifiably classic albums!

Recently I read about Tones and I, sales some of music histories greats could only dream about, and not a single pressing, ongoing overheads are effectively zero!

Dont sell yourself short LP.

Its not convenience thats the driver.  There are a multitude of reasons to buy a good album as a digital download, even whilst owning a CD.

They don't all start and end at the same spot, but the conversion from even something like a CD to MP3 isnt straight forward these days particularly when the average computer doesnt come with a CD rom anymore.

Not to mention that it is a time consuming activity to then categorise the album with the appropriate text, and descriptions.

I consider it money spent, to save time and support the artist whenever I make a digital purchase of audio I already own in another format.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson