Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee (Read 5661 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee

Reply #15
Apparantly Grace Egan posted a video of her and Maddy P singing the bombers theme song and laughing along to it on twitter.
its since been deleted.

But if we lose Grace Egan as well, we might as well hand our license back to the AFL and say thanks, but no thanks.

Reply #16
Look on the bright side - the highlight for Essenscum supporters so far this year is how well their women's team has recruited....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #17
Look on the bright side - the highlight for Essenscum supporters so far this year is how well their women's team has recruited....
I'd prefer they had no highlights at all.

I'm more gutted about this than when Fev got traded.....at least he was causing some issues at the time. These 2 have been nothing but perfect citizens for us.

Reply #18
That was the point though. They flogged our VFLW side (which had zero AFLW players in it, but are still some good players) and they will add a large chunk of those players to standouts Maddy and Gee.....they'll be a force to reckon with if they can get a couple KPP's

That VFLW side has to be drafted, they can't keep them all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Disappointed,  but if that is the case,
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
You are now in the outer along with Campo.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #20
Very disappointing.
Do we get compensated?
If so, what’s it really likely to deliver with 4 new clubs?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #21
Reading around this morning there is a common theme.
"Why invest in a competition where there appears to be no loyalty?"

The strange thing about this is that the most disappointment is being felt by those who have had a strong interest in the AFLW and the Carlton women's side in particular.
After an initial interest I dropped right off, and the player movement factor was big contributor to that feeling.
I really have no strong feelings about Maddy and Georgia leaving.
I don't have that level of care.

Put yourself in Prespakis's position.
No Carlton side.
You want to play at the top level but there is still a couple off years before Carlton have a side in the comp.
Do you sit it out, or do you go where there is a good opportunity to test and develop your skills, knowing that the wait is only a couple of years.
You're never going to play "against" a Carlton side.
On the day when your dream to play for the side you love becomes a reality you lose it a bit...sing the club song.
A bit disrespectful to the club you're leaving but understandable.

In a lot of ways her decision is more palatable than we see in the men's comp where the lure of money or a go home issue is the major factor.
Her decision, while no doubt financially beneficial, is based on love and passion for a club.
She'll go there, play well and become an Essendon icon. :(

I'm sure we'd accept her like, a "Carlton tragic", without hesitation.

It's unfortunate that these moves may disillusion some of us, and we may see some supporters drop off.
But it now presents the opportunity for the competition to grow some traditions.
It may take a few more years for things to settle, but there will eventually be stability.
We'll have a Carlton side where we don't need the program to work out 'who is who', a side built on a struggle over a number of years working together...and we'll develop strong feelings for their journey and success

Reply #22
Personally, to me it just shows how little the AFL really value the AFLW competition, they have it up and running because politically and socially they have to, but they do not give a rats ar5e about it's integrity. No integrity no crowds, no crowds no money, it's that simple. Watch the Crows attendance drop off now that Port are about to break up their synthetic culture.

I'm a bit like Lods, I'm not fussed, if they do not want to be here then don't be here. I can't fault the effort of either Prespakis or Gee's on the field, they gave it 100%. Long term I'd be more worried about Greg leaving, she has basically broadcast the intention!

I'm a bit puzzled though why other clubs can seemingly so easily rip away our marquee players but we still see Chiocci and Pearce playing for opposition despite them being life long Carlton people. I had half expected Pearce to do a Harmes and end up on the Carlton coaching panel post football.

The final insult will be watching Prespakis rack up free kicks now she is a rolled gold red and black Haemorrhoid, after years and years of watching her get hammered for zero reward in navy blue! Fans will still tell me I'm paranoid, I wonder if Vescio still thinks that way today?

Can Harf survive?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Can Harf survive?

I'm sure the cheer squad will be pointing the finger and saying "See!", but i'm not sure its that simple.
Bombers would've made a godfather offer to the pair, which probably includes leadership (if not captaincy) built in. Obviously being the face of the club and getting all the perks that come with it. Jobs outside of football probably lined up in there somewhere too.....if its even required at all.

Craig Starcevich was saying similar, and his club is one of the best in the game, yet players are still leaving Brisbane, and there is only 1 local rival to jump ship too (a team only a decade old at that!) rather than 9 others with 100+ years of history behind them.

In reality, if any team could keep their players, it should've been Brisbane....yet they are copping it too.
We wanna hang half for it?

Reply #24
We wanna hang half for it?
I don't, ................ but that is our club's mentality so I suspect it's better than 50/50!

Despite not having ultimate success, much like the men under Teague, we are one of the better teams to watch in terms of game style / tactics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
I don't, ................ but that is our club's mentality so I suspect it's better than 50/50!
I was actually thinking that the club had done well by not sacking half up to this point (season over, short off-season coming up) but i wonder if they will jump now. Hopefully the mens comp has them suitably distracted.

Reply #26
As disappointing as it may be, don't make this out as a loyalty thing to a childhood club - that just makes the decision easier to justify.  The reality is, according to all reports, Prespakis has been offered a deal that CFC was never going to come close to matching.  It's not much different to Tayla Harris last year.

Can't blame them for chasing a better deal, but that does not change the sour taste it leaves in supporters' mouths, not to mention team mates.  I have no doubt they will both be reminded of that when they first visit Ikon Park in the red 'n black.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #27
Are we surprised given the recent history of former player behaviour that several on our list turn out to be a tad disingenuous?

Like I said, I don't begrudge them going for the money, I can't fault the efforts of both on the field, and once Full Free Agency comes in as it must we will see more of this on the men's side of the game as well.

For example this concept of loan players being floated is really just one step closer to the trading of players mid-season.

But that doesn't detract from the current apparent lack of integrity in the AFLW competition structure, it's really an AFL problem and they seem to be wilfully ignoring it at this stage. I suppose they will claim they are playing the long game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Why the feck do the club have their photos front and centre on the website?

It should be putting it's logo up there and removing all images of Gee and Prespakis, this is the commercial reality of free agency if that is what players want! The second they abscond all history of their presence should be removed. All we do by leaving the images up is give the enemy marketing opportunities.

In a full free agency environment, there are no glad send offs, there are no thanks for the efforts or memories, there are only allies and enemies and you tell which is which by the jumper they wear. You go from chocolates to boiled lollies with the swipe of a pen, players can't have it both ways, there is a distinct difference between internal respect and public support!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
How very fickle are some within this comp.

If I was Harf, and others in the coaching and support group, I'd just be shaking my head and perhaps feeling pretty shat upon.

Might as well hold a fire sale of others who want to abandon ship, load up on picks and start again... rebuild, act like an expansion club and build a group with character, loyalty and unity.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17