Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee (Read 5908 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee

Reply #30
How very fickle are some within this comp.

If I was Harf, and others in the coaching and support group, I'd just be shaking my head and perhaps feeling pretty shat upon.

Might as well hold a fire sale of others who want to abandon ship, load up on picks and start again... rebuild, act like an expansion club and build a group with character, loyalty and unity.
Isn't that what we have done twice already?  :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #31
Might as well hold a fire sale of others who want to abandon ship, load up on picks and start again... rebuild, act like an expansion club and build a group with character, loyalty and unity.
I did warn people when AFLW started that we should not expect players to behave in the same basic manner as men, simply because they aren't!

AFLW is to AFL, what France is to The Allies!

The girls won't sit around the campfire singing Goodnight Saigon, and of course my posting this makes me a misogynist but it doesn't change it's underlying truth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Haven't we poached players?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #33
Have we? Tayla Harris approached us, as she wanted to come to Melbourne for her boxing career. We jumped at it, but that is another tale.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34

Probably.

Realistically we stuffed up and everyone on here knows it.

The best time to jag a flag, was when the competition was fledgling.  Now that its becoming a bit more cut throat, and we appear to be hampered by the lack of money in it, 2020 was the last season that we could have pulled it off and no guarantees we would have.  Since then almost all the key components of that outfit have moved on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
Have we? Tayla Harris approached us, as she wanted to come to Melbourne for her boxing career. We jumped at it, but that is another tale.
Didnt we poach Nicola Stevens from the Filth?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
I'm not so fussed about Prespakis and Gee leaving, provided we get good compensation picks and use them wisely.

Hopefully, this will mean the end of clubs raiding others for players and a move to more settled lists.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
I'm not so fussed about Prespakis and Gee leaving, provided we get good compensation picks and use them wisely.

Hopefully, this will mean the end of clubs raiding others for players and a move to more settled lists.

Not sure we'll be well compensated though.
A lot of help will be given to the clubs entering the competition, which will erode any compensation to some extent.

Reply #39
Just thinking about this in light of Gil stepping down. There was a short (but involved) list of things he's going to do this year before he goes and one of them was new CBA for the mens and for the womens comp.

Which got me thinking....
How can players be poached, when they don't know what the salary cap is going to be?

It may turnout that we could've quite easily matched bombers offers for the girls once the new figures come out, but we'll never know.

I've said it a million times, but until the comp is truly national, not a trumped up state of origin competition it will be a farce.

Reply #40
Just thinking about this in light of Gil stepping down. There was a short (but involved) list of things he's going to do this year before he goes and one of them was new CBA for the mens and for the womens comp.

Which got me thinking....
How can players be poached, when they don't know what the salary cap is going to be?

It may turnout that we could've quite easily matched bombers offers for the girls once the new figures come out, but we'll never know.

I've said it a million times, but until the comp is truly national, not a trumped up state of origin competition it will be a farce.

The thing is that Prespakis and Gee will be Essendon's marquee players and will corner a sizeable chunk of their TPP.  That may mean that Essendon will struggle to recruit/pay other highly-rated players and will go into the season with a couple of good players and a VFLW team.

I wrote in another thread that I thought that the way Prespakis goes about her footy, combined with the way she is hammered by her opponents and not protected by the umpires, is unsustainable and a short career is inevitable unless something changes.  Moving to Essendon is not the change that I envisaged and I don't think we'll see Maddy with a long career.

Gee is a smart player and I think that we'll feel her loss more than Maddy's.  However, Gee's strength is getting on the end of chains of possession and finishing off well.  I'm not sure that Essendon will have the ability to force opponents to play to Georgia's strengths.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Isn't the point of bring a marquee player is that part of your payment is outside the cap?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #42
Isn't the point of bring a marquee player is that part of your payment is outside the cap?
Not sure that is the case, to say it's "outside the cap" is not really accurate, there is a pool of funds that you can use for nominated marquee players, but it's still limited and under audit and has to be pre-approved by the AFL. It's not a free hit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Hun reporting that Grace Egan will also not be at the Blues next year after her Instagram gaff earlier this week.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #44
Hun reporting that Grace Egan will also not be at the Blues next year after her Instagram gaff earlier this week.
Do you reckon Prespakis set Greg up, Kruddler mentioned Greg is not the sharpest tool in the shed?

In my opinion, losing Greg is almost worse than losing Prespakis and Gee.

But I understand completely if Greg goes, Carlton people cannot recover from singing the CheatsFC song in public, it's a level of disrespect worse than blasphemy or treason. I think acts like this are what the old fashioned stocks are designed to remedy. She almost have to hand deliver Carlton a flag to make up for it!
The Force Awakens!