Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee (Read 5989 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Bombers poaching Velcro - Maddy P and Georgia G set to flee

Reply #45
At this stage of AFLW's development, its supporters don't buy into hating players who defect to other teams. Anything that improves the competition and offers more opportunity for young female players is good. Most female AFLW supporters don't batt an eye when stars walk out of the club they support - on the contrary, they're thrilled that the competition is expanding and star players are starting to earn more appropriate salaries. When the competition is mature and its ranks are filled with players who've been playing since they were in primary school, no doubt those supporters will be less AFLW supporters and more supporters of their own AFLW club.

Reply #46
At this stage of AFLW's development, its supporters don't buy into hating players who defect to other teams.
AFL Club's are in a marketing war with each other, sponsors compete for the fan dollars, they won't give a rat's ar5e what feminist fanatics think, if a player gets pegged boosting the sponsors competitor the shizen must hit the fan!

We keep being told the AFLW players deserve to be paid like professionals, while too often acting like two bob amateurs!

Perhaps there are just too many in the current AFLW system that care more about their social media profile than then AFLW career! Maybe I'm old fashioned and just don't get it, maybe this is the new normal!

But I doubt you'll find much support for this amongst those of us here that follow it closely, we are gutted by the level of selfishness, stupidity or both!

I can't imagine team-mates are too happy, it's like you wake up to find the person you have fought for is pissing down your neck!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
I didn't think I was referring to feminist fanatics but it seems my post was like an ink blot test.

Reply #48
I didn't think I was referring to feminist fanatics but it seems my post was like an ink blot test.
So you think it's reasonable for these people to put their hand out to grab millions of fan dollars, only to grab the cash then slap the fans in the face, and we are supposed to say thank-you!

I'm a big boy I'll get over it, but I feel for all the little kids who got their club jumper embroided with a 19 or 4.

What is the takeaway lesson to the primary schooler, money talks and is most important!

I reckon Harford would feel gutted today, it's such a slap in the face!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Maybe the primary school girl would think that the AFLW isn't just window dressing any more and clubs are fighting to attract the best talent.

Reply #50
Maybe the primary school girl would think that the AFLW isn't just window dressing any more and clubs are fighting to attract the best talent.
Carlton did attract them, but they didn't stay!

I wouldn't say I'd go as far to piss on them but the old saying applies, "If it's got a sash have a slash!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Isn't the point of bring a marquee player is that part of your payment is outside the cap?

I probably didn't use "marquee player" in the context that it applies to AFLW players with payments outside the cap.  In that context, I think that Prespakis would be a marquee player and Gee would be highly paid but not with additional, outside the cap payments.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #52
Do you reckon Prespakis set Greg up, Kruddler mentioned Greg is not the sharpest tool in the shed?

In my opinion, losing Greg is almost worse than losing Prespakis and Gee.

But I understand completely if Greg goes, Carlton people cannot recover from singing the CheatsFC song in public, it's a level of disrespect worse than blasphemy or treason. I think acts like this are what the old fashioned stocks are designed to remedy. She almost have to hand deliver Carlton a flag to make up for it!

I'm not fussed about Greg going; too many 'deer in the headlights' moments where she got pinged for holding the ball.  Her best may have been very good but she is far too inconsistent.

Many AFLW players seem to have a more relaxed attitude to club loyalty and disdain for the opposition but, allegedly celebrating the poaching of teammates by a rival club may be going just a little too far.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
Isn't the point of bring a marquee player is that part of your payment is outside the cap?

I think there is a limit on how much they can be paid, so its basically the salary cap + marquee bonus = new salary cap. You can't go over either.
The thing about being a marquee player though is you are more likely to get sponsors and what not, and THAT is where the money is.....and also where the rorting happens, ala Judd and Visy, Geelong and property etc.

Reply #54
Now looks like Nicola Stevens may go to Saints
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #55
Bonnie Toogood is also going to the bombers.
1 mid - prespakis
1 key forward - toogood
1 mid/fwd - gee

Fill in the gaps around that.

Reply #56
Hawks fishing around Moody apparently.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
Hawks fishing around Moody apparently.
If we lose Moody, Prespakis, Gee, Stevens and Egan, we may as well sell of the rest of the list while we are at it.

Moody, Prespakis, Gee and Egan was our starting midfield at the start of the year before we got Hill back.
F*** me.

Reply #58
If we lose Moody, Prespakis, Gee, Stevens and Egan, we may as well sell of the rest of the list while we are at it.

Moody, Prespakis, Gee and Egan was our starting midfield at the start of the year before we got Hill back.
F*** me.
The AFLW is an absolute pillage fest, nothing anyone can do about it as that's how it's been set up. You reckon loyalty is gone in the mens game, in Never existed in AFLW. It will only settle once all the teams are in and well established, until then there will be bodies everywhere.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
It will only settle once all the teams are in and well established, until then there will be bodies everywhere.

That's true...which is why we shouldn't let the movement get us down too much.

Give it five years and we may have a stable team we can start to get behind and get a bit emotional about.
Sadly many of those few players who have stuck with the team probably won't be around to see that.