Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 5 2022 Carlton vs Werribee (Read 1050 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Rd 5 2022 Carlton vs Werribee

1405 at Werribee.
Doesn't sound like we'll have a much different team to last week's, but we won't have Soldo to worry about.
No mention of the team this week.
Live Long and Prosper!

VFL Blues V Werribee In-game

Reply #1
1/4 time.
Blues... 1.2.8
Werr...  3.7.25

Very ordinary qtr from us. FA else to say.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: VFL Blues V Werribee In-game

Reply #2
At least Stocker seems to be doing well: 8 disposals, 2 marks & a tackle. Not bad for a quarter or so. But I can't say how effective he's been given that the video seems to crash my computer.

Reply #3
We've woken up.

Down by 5pts. 11 mins second qtr.

Stocker doing well.

Reply #4
Pretty disappointing stuff from us. Just not as desperate as Werribee.

Stocker, Hayes, LOB, Carroll doing okay.

W. 5.9.39
Us. 4.4.28

25 mins 2nd qtr.

Reply #5
Half time. W: 5.9.... Blues: 4.5

Willo moved to a wing in that qtr and gave us some life!

Lucky to be only ten pts down. Kemp improved up forward in that qtr. Cincotta and Radovanovic working hard. Dow disappointing. Philp disappointing. Crocker two goals and working hard. Mirkov doing just okay. Cripps ordinary. Carroll, Hayes, Stocker, LOB good. Fogarty serviceable. Akuei not up to it.

Reply #6
Never in doubt  ;D
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Big last quarter from the Blues, to get the job done. Reallt ran over the top of them in the last quarter, after struggling to keep touch for much of the day.
Another big game from Hayes. He wants to play senior footy again.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 5 2022 Carlton vs Werribee

Reply #8
Very good gutsy win by our depleted VFL side. Dug deep and got the win - with so many players missing makes it extra good.

Reply #9
Five goal final qtr gives us the chocolates.

Blues: 14.9
Werribee: 10.14

Came home with a wet sail after leading at three qtr time by a pt.

Reply #10
Stocker, Dow, Willo, Fogarty, Kemp and O'Brien all did well out of the senior-listed players.  Stocker and Dow are the only two I'd consider for promotion at this stage.

Paddy's little bro sealed it with a couple of nice goals in the last quarter.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Agree with Capt CRASH... Hayes wants that senior guernsey.

Of the CFC listed blokes, Carroll, Stocker and LOB did their chances of a call up to the seniors no harm. Liked Willo's game once he was moved further up the field after the shocking first qtr by our blokes.

Reply #12
Thanks for the updates, I wasn't able to watch live today.

Do you know if game replay can be watched somewhere?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Thanks for the updates, I wasn't able to watch live today.

Do you know if game replay can be watched somewhere?

There's a Lochie O'Brien highlights video and a 13 minute mini-match on the live streaming site. 

Reply #14
The Blue won today because they held their nerve, and kept in the game when things weren't working. Werribee led for the majority of the game: we managed to scramble leads near the end of quarters (showing superior fitness?) that really hurt our opponents.
For example, Werribee kicked the first 4 goals of the game, yet we kicked the last 4 of the half to lead at half time. Similarly, Werribee started well, but we kicked the last 5 goals of the game to win well. That tells you a lot about these guys. We aren't the easy-beats of previous years, not at any level.

[1] Mirkov was super-important:
I don't think Mirkov had anywhere near his best game, but he didn't get any smaller and his taps kept going towards our mids. Early in the game, Werribee tried, and succeeded, roving to Mirkov. Gribble, for example, got a lot of clearances early in the game. But, by the end, it is our mids that get the breaks and we score heavily when that happens.
Mirkov has a long way to go, but his total dominance at the stoppages was crucial.

[2] Hayes really wants another chance and we'd be stupid if we didn't give it to him:
So far, Hayes has been one of our best every week, getting 30+ possessions. he did it again today: 30 possessions, 10 marks, 4 tackles and 3 clearances. Someone will pick him up midyear, and it should be us. Of all the guys trying out for that spot, he has been the most impressive by a long way.

[3] Paddy Dow didn't have a big day, but he got crucial clearances:
Paddy Dow really didn't have a big day. He managed only 16 possessions, but the highlights were the 5 tackles and the 7 clearances. In many ways, it highlights the strengths and weaknesses of his game: he does clearances as well as anyone, but he doesn't do a lot else. if Dow is going to be the player he could be, he has to feature around the ground more, have a few score involvements, ran and offer an option.

[4] Fogarty is similar:
Fog probably isn't going to get back into our senior line-up on performances like todays. He managed 19 possessions, but had 6 tackles and 5 clearances. The tackles and clearances are a really positive sign. He fact that he doesn't get the ball much otherwise is the issue. He doesn't do enough as a small forward and he gets out-bodied a lot at senior level. if he is to make it, which I doubt, he needs t get more run and carry into his game. The other things is that his possessions often don't hurt enough.

[5] Carroll, Stocker and O'Brien put their hands up:
Jack Carroll had 25 possessions and kicked 2 crucial goals. That is 2 good games in a row. if he makes it 3, then he'll really put his name in front of the selectors. He also has some way to go, but he isn't dropping out of the game like he did earlier.
Stocker had 26 possessions and 7 marks, which was quite reasonable. This probably includes some kick-ins, but it is showing that he is returning to fitness. If he can keep this up, then he really puts some pressure on guys like Setterfield.
O'Brien had 24 possessions, but only 1 tackle. He had 3 clearances. Not quite the sort of numbers Hayes is getting, but it is much better than he averaged last year in the VFL. I'm not sure he is going to make it, but he is, at least, giving it a much better shot than he has in the past.

[6] Philp and Kemp are beginning to be worries:
Last week Philp didn't do a lot, but he made the most of his opportunities and kicked goals. This week, he didn't. Granted that he is recovering from long term injury, but I would like to see more consistently from him before I would bring him in over Owies or Durdin. 11 possessions and 2 tackles at this level is not enough.
Kemp has started the year poorly. I don't think he is a forward, even though he is being played there. He isn't holding his marks, even though he had 7 of them today. He could have had 17, and has had those sort of numbers in the past. He has a lot of areas to work on; his overall fitness, his upper body strength, his run and carry, etc, but the biggest thing he needs is a good lump of confidence. To have him flying for marks and taking contested grabs will make him a different player.

[7] Our defence is a work in progress:
Will started poorly today, but there wasn't a lot of experience in the defence today. He was it, and he played better up the ground (which I think he can really be capable of). Radovanovic is an excellent pick-up and a consistent defender, Akuei is learning, Cooper Stephens gives value, but there isn't a lot down there. Having either McDonald or Young back there will strengthen the side a lot.
Michael Lewis, for example, a guy who was a train-on player, has been a huge disappointment and is nowhere near senior football ready.
Clearly, we need to recruit some more defenders this draft, as we are very light-on in that department. To be honest, I would be playing Kemp down there. He can take a mark and read the ball in the air.

[8] Our VFL contingent continues to produce:
As might be expected, our VFL boys are not as consistent as they possibly could be, with the exception of Hayes and Crocker. Crocker performs most weeks. Hayes has been a star. But they still manage to produce some excellent performances each week. This time it was Cincotta, who managed 24 possessions. Trudgeon wasn't far behind, and Tom North played quite well for his first game of the year. The lads are doing pretty good jobs. Kudos to our recruiters, as they have dealt with almost all of the problems our VFL team had last year.
Live Long and Prosper!