Skip to main content
Topic: Musk (Read 3089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Musk

Reply #15
Some might think Musk sees himself as the real world Elliott Carver!

Quite hard to control an organisation that controls the satellites, and he's got about 10K of them up there already, buying Twitter is the ultimate vertical integration.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
By the way, why is there a tendency to put our faith in billionaires to be altruistic? Even the philanthropic ones donate only a portion of the tax they're able to save through one dodge or another. Musk is going to expect a payoff for his $61b investment and I doubt he gives a rat's arse about the public good.

I would have thought the so-called billionaire Donald J. Trump would have opened everyone's eyes. Unlike in the "What have the Romans ever done for us?" sketch, I'm pretty confident that "What has Trump ever done for the battlers?" wouldn't elicit a string of achievements. But the richest did pretty well out of him. And Jared Kushner even scored a $2b dollar investment out of the Saudis after Trump sent him there as the emissary for world peace. 

Reply #19
By the way, why is there a tendency to put our faith in billionaires to be altruistic? Even the philanthropic ones donate only a portion of the tax they're able to save through one dodge or another. Musk is going to expect a payoff for his $61b investment and I doubt he gives a rat's arse about the public good.

I would have thought the so-called billionaire Donald J. Trump would have opened everyone's eyes. Unlike in the "What have the Romans ever done for us?" sketch, I'm pretty confident that "What has Trump ever done for the battlers?" wouldn't elicit a string of achievements. But the richest did pretty well out of him. And Jared Kushner even scored a $2b dollar investment out of the Saudis after Trump sent him there as the emissary for world peace. 
Share price has already climbed and he can claim on that margin loan, plus he funded the cash component from his Tesla shareholdings.
He wont be losing and like Tesla run at a loss and still make money on his shares.

Reply #21
Share price has already climbed and he can claim on that margin loan, plus he funded the cash component from his Tesla shareholdings.
He wont be losing and like Tesla run at a loss and still make money on his shares.

He's a character with more than a few flaws EB.  Very much a "watch this space". 

Reply #22
He's a character with more than a few flaws EB.  Very much a "watch this space". 
For sure Cap, Does his pressers after smoking a joint sometimes and is another weirdo.
Got some crazy ideas about living on Mars too...

Reply #23
People did with george soros. 
Did they? He has certainly donated a lot of money as has Bill Gates but that's pretty much behind the scenes. He doesn't market himself as a saviour and visionary who'll create a better world for everybody. Apart from the right-wing media trying to make him into the head of a globalist conspiracy (i.e. the Jews conspiring to take control of everything and everybody), I've hardly ever seen his name in the media. If only Trump and Musk could remain behind the scenes like that.

More importantly, I've never heard a serious suggestion that his philanthropic activities have been part of a strategy to enrich himself.

Reply #24
For sure Cap, Does his pressers after smoking a joint sometimes and is another weirdo.
Got some crazy ideas about living on Mars too...

"Spirit", "Opportunity" and the "Perseverance" rovers have shown us nothing of any interest or worthy of pursuit.  No amount of money justifies "flags and footprints" unless the destination is just days away (i.e. the moon).  We can but dream

Reply #25
Great news. The woke society is finally getting some resistance. Yippy.  

Reply #26
I’m not on twitter and never will be as long as the owner is a guy who thinks labeling people “pedo guy” is free speech.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #27
It's hard to think of better evidence that Musk is a narcissist than that episode. Remember, what sparked him off was that he wanted the rescuers trying to save the boys trapped in a Thai cave to use his rescue submarine to do the job. That would have made him a global superhero. Sadly for him, the rescuers said they had it covered, and they did.

You would have thought if his main purpose was to save the kids, he would have been ecstatic that they were rescued even if he wasn't involved in the rescue. He should have showered the rescuers with praise and perhaps offered them a nice reward.

Instead, he wanted to take down those rescuers, and what better way to do it than insinuate they were paedophiles. Pathetic, really ...

The skills of psychopaths and malignant narcissists can be harnessed to work for the public good. For instance, psychologists frequently point out that companies can use the skills of psychopaths in management and various professions seem to play to their strengths. But when they have the financial power to override any attempt to restrain them, any public good will be a lucky byproduct of satisfying their own needs.

Quick tip ... if anybody says "Only I can fix it!", run away as fast as you can. That sort of grandiosity is a red flag.

Reply #28
It's hard to think of better evidence that Musk is a narcissist than that episode. Remember, what sparked him off was that he wanted the rescuers trying to save the boys trapped in a Thai cave to use his rescue submarine to do the job. That would have made him a global superhero. Sadly for him, the rescuers said they had it covered, and they did.

It was proven after the event that Musk's "mini subs" could never have navigated the course.  As I said, the man has many flaws.  For example, building an EV without a spare.  Dumb, even if you were stupid enough to invest in one

Reply #29
It was proven after the event that Musk's "mini subs" could never have navigated the course.  As I said, the man has many flaws.  For example, building an EV without a spare.  Dumb, even if you were stupid enough to invest in one
Yes, at least in the case of normal inflated tyres, but I do think they use run flats.

What will happen though when the new airless tyres like the Michelin UPTIS become more mainstream?
The Force Awakens!