Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 7 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 8340 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 7 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
I would like to think every opposition player gets some heavy treatment whenever they go near the ball
Horne-Francis won't last long in AFL if he's doing that shizen in season one!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
 Yep, I think those who don't like the prior opportunity component are happy to ignore it when they compare different examples. But once you've had prior you have to get rid of it immediately upon being tackled. When the player with the ball is tackled by someone grabbing the bottom of the jumper from behind, that's still a tackle if it retards the player. It doesn't have to stop the player in his tracks, it just has to knock a few km/h off his progress. I'm sure the ball carrier on that occasion knew he was being tackled and he had his hands free so he should have just squirted a handball out ahead of himself. Instead, he started looking around for options as if he were a QB with 5 seconds to target a receiver.

Reply #47
Yep, I think those who don't like the prior opportunity component are happy to ignore it when they compare different examples. But once you've had prior you have to get rid of it immediately upon being tackled. When the player with the ball is tackled by someone grabbing the bottom of the jumper from behind, that's still a tackle if it retards the player. It doesn't have to stop the player in his tracks, it just has to knock a few km/h off his progress. I'm sure the ball carrier on that occasion knew he was being tackled and he had his hands free so he should have just squirted a handball out ahead of himself. Instead, he started looking around for options as if he were a QB with 5 seconds to target a receiver.

The problem is not so much with the rules but the inconsistency of interpretation by the umpires.
Some players were penalised right away last night. Others were given until this morning to dispose of it.
If you apply a strict interpretation a player like Cripps would be free kicked out of the game.

Reply #48
I was pleased last night for a lot of reasons:
[1] We put a team away, even with many of our more important players unavailable. We haven't done that in years.
[2] Plowman might have been lucky to get a game, as the only reason he came in was for the late out of Williams, but he really deserved his spot last night. He looked the fittest he has all year. He didn't panic and he went for his marks. He'll play next week because he deserves to, not because someone else wasn't fit.
[3] We saw the beginnings of a real career last night in the development of Lewis Young. Instead of just punching the ball, he had the confidence to go for his marks and the ability to take them. Well done, young man. That was what we've been needing, as it take a lot of pressure off Weitering.
[4] We also saw another career start last night: Jack Carroll. He wasn't overawed. he worked hard. His disposal was neat. He got in the right spots and he was hard at the ball. A pleasing debut.
[5] Our smaller forwards/mids have copped criticism of late, but they worked really hard last night. Owies got some rewards, and while he still, only managed a handful of possessions, he tackles hard. He had 5 possessions for 3 scoring shots and 8 tackles. I really liked that. Durdin got a bit more of the ball, 11 possessions and 4 tackles. He tried hard, but things didn't really go his way. Martin appeared more involved for longer, although he is still a long way from being a 4 quarter player. He competed well, instead of just leaving it someone else. Fisher had a much better game, and was so much more effective than he has been. His run was good, but his kicking was much better. He didn't turn the ball over the way he has been doing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49
But sometimes the apparent inconsistency is explained by prior opportunity or the lack of it. This adds a layer to the decision-making process and that means more room for mistakes from umpires. Trying to dumb down the rules to make it easier for the umpire to adjudicate isn't necessarily the answer.  For instance, It'd make it easier for cricket umpires if they did away with the exclusion of balls which bounce outside the leg stump or balls which make contact outside the line of off-stump where the batsman plays a shot, but that would introduce other problems.

Reply #50
I would like to think every opposition player gets some heavy treatment whenever they go near the ball
We are a friendly team who play a gentlemans game....we have a couple like Stocker and Young(eg Zurhaar) not adverse to handing out a decent heavy bump but within the rules but we dont have cheap shot artists like Horne Francis giving players a clip when they are running past. Jack doesnt deserve that type of BS and it reminded me of that other little prick Merrett who gave him a punch in the ribs when he tackled him a while back. Like to see Jack deal with that stuff a bit more severely and let these cowardly snipers know its coming back with interest.
Some players just pee me off more than others and Horne Francis just has that smug cocky look that I want someone to rearrange his smile for him. Toby Nankervis is another that gives cheap shots like knees in the ribs when players are down on the ground or the odd stray elbow and makes out it was just a awkward accident because he is a big awkward player and he always gets away with it.

Reply #51
Unable to follow the game… someone tell me please how Weiters came to kick a goal?
The highlights reel doesn’t show what happened before his kick. Result of a 50m penalty?

Reply #52
Unable to follow the game… someone tell me please how Weiters came to kick a goal?
The highlights reel doesn’t show what happened before his kick. Result of a 50m penalty?

Infringement in the backline then two 50 metres

Reply #53

Weitering got a free kick then as Young tried to mark a dead ball Larkey tunnelled him. Not sure if the first 50 was for that or the melee? Then another 50 was given as North players trying to get back infringed the whatever metre zone is.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #54
The problem is not so much with the rules but the inconsistency of interpretation by the umpires.
Some players were penalised right away last night. Others were given until this morning to dispose of it.
If you apply a strict interpretation a player like Cripps would be free kicked out of the game.

Exactly.

The inconsistency of it was a joke.

Both with holding the ball (or not)
and the 'stand' rule being umpired correctly.

There were times where a player lined up 2m offline and was not play on, there were other times where they were directly behind and just throught about moving and got told to play on.

Reply #55
Stocker, Young charged

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1116754?fbclid=IwAR2C_vrjvAqfiJzHLt1WI2K1ij3eHQU6L5UjSMXKatjLlXqcyAnD3fjXQh4

Stocker has been charged with rough conduct during a contest in the third quarter, which has been graded as careless with medium impact and high contact.

Young has been charged with front on contact during a contest in the fourth quarter, that was graded as careless and high impact, with contact to the body.

Both players have each been offered a one-week sanction as a result.

Reply #58
What a friggin joke the AFL has become. Now you can't even hit a body??? WTF

That one on Young might be challenged i'd say.

Reply #59
Stocker, Young charged

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1116754?fbclid=IwAR2C_vrjvAqfiJzHLt1WI2K1ij3eHQU6L5UjSMXKatjLlXqcyAnD3fjXQh4

I said at the time that it was lucky Stocker hurt himself otherwise he'd get suspended.....apparantly it doesn't matter.