Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 5087 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
Gotta beat teams above us sure, at the minute there are only 3 of them (for a change).
Love the fact many of us are complaining about playing only 3 qtrs yet we are 6-2 and in the top 4.
There is much to like.
Charlie, Crippa, TDK, SOS and Bam Bam tore the game a new one.
Fish has definitely lifted his work rate which is pleasing.
Even Cottrell provided run when he came on which is his strength.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Sorry I didn't have the threads ready to go. I was at the game.
To be honest, I forgot. I didn't get on the computer this morning because my neck has been stiff.
I won't forget next time!
Relax Crash, you do more than enough on this site.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Remember that these were the wins obtained by team that filled the 8th spot in the finals after 22 games (leaving aside 2020 which had a reduced number of games):
  • 2021: 11 wins
  • 2019: 12 wins
  • 2018: 13 wins
  • 2017: 12 wins & percentage, 105.7%
  • 2016: 12 wins & percentage, 105.2%

The 13 win threshold was a bit of an anomaly as the bottom 4 were really bad (from Brisbane with 5 wins to Carlton with a measly 2 wins). So we really need 11 or 12 wins to make the 8. That means we only have to win 5 or 6 out of the remaining 14 games.

It's still possible, of course, to crap out. IIRC, Richmond failed to make the 8 after winning 6 of the 1st 8 games, just like us. But that's pretty unlikely.   

Reply #33
CARLTON      3.3     9.6     15.12    17.14  (116)
ADELAIDE     2.2     5.4     5.6        10.8   (68)

GOALS 
Carlton: Curnow 6, McKay 3, Cripps 2, Fisher 2, Silvagni 2, Newnes, Kennedy
Adelaide: Walker 2, McAdam 2, Rachele, Dawson, Frampton, Schoenberg, Himmelberg, Cook

BEST 
Carlton: Cripps, Docherty, Curnow, Cerra, Kennedy, McKay
Adelaide: Laird, Dawson, Keays, Berry, Jones

INJURIES 
Carlton: Martin (calf)
Adelaide: Murphy (neck)

SUBSTITUTES 
Carlton: Matt Cottrell (replaced Martin in the third quarter)
Adelaide: James Rowe (replaced Murphy in the fourth quarter)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
A few points:
[1] Jack Carroll didn't have a touch in the first quarter, but he had 18 for the game, 3 clearances and a goal assist. Not bad for his 2nd game. he certainly doesn't mind the heat in the kitchen.
[2] Tackles: there were some impressive numbers today: 4 to Durdin, 5 to Owies (that keeps the ball in the front 50!), 7 to Cripps(!!!) and 7 to Cerra. Considering how teams walked through our midfield in recent years, and ran the ball out of defence so easily, things look a little different now.
[3] Today we manufactured goals on the rebound, something we have struggled to do. We got very few of our goals from centre breaks, normally our strength. I like this.
[4] We were pounded in the ruck, except for a period in the third quarter. However, Cripps had 10 clearances and Cerra had 6! We ended up with 9 more clearances than Adelaide had, even with an armchair ride in the middle. If we'd had the same sort of ruck dominance, we'd have won by 150 points!
[5] Docherty got 30 possessions again, from half back, and gobs of interceptions. His form this year has been outstanding. To be honest, I would have been happy if he'd played 3 or 4 games after going through cancer like he did.
[6] Does Crippa want a Brownlow? His form is stunning. What it is for him to be fit!
[7] Charlie had 21 possessions and 10 marks as a key forward. Those are numbers mids would be proud of!
[8] Tom de Koning got killed in the ruck, but when he gets a clearance, something happens. His little period of dominance didn't last long, but we had the ball stuck in our forward line for the whole time.
For that matter, Cripps and Silvagni did some nice things in the ruck, especially at important times. Even Weitering did his bit in the ruck and did it well.
But we are really missing Marc Pittonet. His ability to take on the other ruck bulls has been one of the reasons we've been good this year.
[9] Jordan Boyd had his best game by some margin. Don't know if he'll get the chance to repeat it if Plowman is fit next week, but he deserved his spot.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
Keep banking those 4 points. Worry about next round and move on. We still are not at full strength. Injuries allowing opportunities to learn what we can do without our best 22. I was never too concerned about percentage. Sure it can make or break you. Not getting in with enough wins is far worse.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #37
Boyd did what he had to do today.
Doesn’t make him a lock, but it probably gets him another game next week and another brownie point for curlys boy.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #38
I think you should be dropped to TC…

🤣

Nah. Crash is sitting 6 - 2.
He gets let off for now😜
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #39
Nah. Crash is sitting 6 - 2.
He gets let off for now😜

He does sit pretty well in the B&F each year, so I guess he’s got points on the board, but this is a new era and everyone starts from ground zero…

🤣🤣
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #40
Sorry I didn't have the threads ready to go. I was at the game.
To be honest, I forgot. I didn't get on the computer this morning because my neck has been stiff.
I won't forget next time!
I got your back crash.

Reply #41
Gotta beat teams above us sure, at the minute there are only 3 of them (for a change).

Why? Everyone says Melbourne are the best but they can't beat anyone above them...lol.

I'll see myself out.

Reply #42
Does Crippa want a Brownlow? His form is stunning. What it is for him to be fit!

One day we might know the full extent of his injuries over the past two years plus the personal strain hub life put on his domestic situations. There were calls to send him back west while he still had 'currency'! I'm glad those calls were ignored!!

Reply #43
Why? Everyone says Melbourne are the best but they can't beat anyone above them...lol.

I'll see myself out.
We're the only team to have beat Melbourne this year!  ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #44
We have a lot to be excited about and enjoying. We were presented with the challenge of winning to go top 4 (among other challenges), and we grabbed it. Although boring to reflect on the past, that opportunity/pressure would have seen us fall short in past years.

When we factor in the perspective of being a WIP, and understanding that this group of players and coaches are still getting to know each other, and the group is still learning a new game plan and what they're capable of, then finding ourselves 6 & 2, banking 2 x 8 goal wins in a row, sitting in the top 4... just, wow. So much to celebrate and enjoy.

The players would be developing real confidence in the game plan, themselves and their coaches/leadership.

Now to win on the road. Another challenge to embrace. Look out GWS.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17