Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 6415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #135
Maybe a last minute change.....  Owies out ('flu') Dow in.  That releases Kennedy to be permanent  forward with Dow his replacement in the midfield rotations. Still have Durdin, Fisher and Motlop as the small forwards, Charlie as the main target and JSOS an Carroll as the support acts

Reply #136
I can't see that we will make wholesale positional changes to cover the loss of two key position players.

Plowman and Kemp come in to cover Young.  Neither is a key defender but together they add a little more marking and spoiling ability to the defence.

Motlop is a straight swap for Martin.

Hewett adds to the midfield rotations so that all midfielders spend more time forward.

Silvagni plays as a key forward and pinch hits in the ruck as usual.  De Koning rests in the forward line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #137
I can't see that we will make wholesale positional changes to cover the loss of two key position players.

Plowman and Kemp come in to cover Young.  Neither is a key defender but together they add a little more marking and spoiling ability to the defence.

Motlop is a straight swap for Martin.

Hewett adds to the midfield rotations so that all midfielders spend more time forward.

Silvagni plays as a key forward and pinch hits in the ruck as usual.  De Koning rests in the forward line.

Agree. It makes sense to minimise  the impacts on the normal process.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #138
Win tomorrow and we sit 3 games inside the 8.

Reply #139
Motlop is replacing Martin so we're going with a much smaller forward line - one that might better suit the wet conditions.

It's been bright & sunny here today and should be again tomorrow, the BOM have suggested possible light shower but I doubt it will be an issue.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #140
Hogan out. Do we match up better with Riccardi?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #141
I've never feared Hogan. It would be better if a ruckman were out.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #142
Probably but Riccardi has played a couple of good games against us previously however I dont think the GWS KP Fowards are where the game will be won and lost and it will be all about the midfield.

Reply #143

As much as Hogan is no match winner they seem to play better with him in so I prefer him out.

One less tall we have to worry about.

Reply #144
Probably but Riccardi has played a couple of good games against us previously however I dont think the GWS KP Fowards are where the game will be won and lost and it will be all about the midfield.

I hope you're right EB; we've certainly stacked our 22 with midfielders.

It's hard to see any team matching Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett and then we have Fisher and Carroll spending time in the midfield. "Deadly" Motlop has been playing in the midfield in the VFL as well.

I think that our strategy will be about winning the centre bounces and stoppages, stifling GWS's forwards with a swarming defence and creating multiple scoring options through precise inside 50s and manic pressure inside 50.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds ... and I'm quietly confident.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #145
I hope you're right EB; we've certainly stacked our 22 with midfielders.

It's hard to see any team matching Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett and then we have Fisher and Carroll spending time in the midfield. "Deadly" Motlop has been playing in the midfield in the VFL as well.

I think that our strategy will be about winning the centre bounces and stoppages, stifling GWS's forwards with a swarming defence and creating multiple scoring options through precise inside 50s and manic pressure inside 50.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds ... and I'm quietly confident.
I share the same premise as you that GWS are a softish team with only a few relishing a tough contest and I'd be making it real tough for players like Whitfield, Kelly, Cogs and quelling any idea of a Leon Cameron inspired victory very early in the game.
Still think we can win and win well, interesting seeing ex  Giant Dylan Shiel perform tonight for Essendon, we dodged a bullet there and his coach when asked about Shiels lack of effort/poor attack on the ball was scathing by his silence. Much happier we saved our dollars for Cerra and Hewett....

Reply #146
I share the same premise as you that GWS are a softish team with only a few relishing a tough contest and I'd be making it real tough for players like Whitfield, Kelly, Cogs and quelling any idea of a Leon Cameron inspired victory very early in the game.
Still think we can win and win well, interesting seeing ex  Giant Dylan Shiel perform tonight for Essendon, we dodged a bullet there and his coach when asked about Shiels lack of effort/poor attack on the ball was scathing by his silence. Much happier we saved our dollars for Cerra and Hewett....

I wasn't too upset when Shiel chose Essendon over us.

I listened to Phil Davis on the wireless today.  He had a lot of good things to say about Leon Cameron but the impression I got was that Cameron pampered his players rather than challenging them to be their best.  They are unbeatable when things are going their way, bullies when the opposition is weak, and invisible when the pressure is on.

We're certainly up against it with McKay and Young out, but GWS only has two wins this season and they have been pumped by ordinary teams.

Reply #147
Hogan out..... Weitering on Himmelberg, Kemp on Riccardi??

Reply #148
Hogan out..... Weitering on Himmelberg, Kemp on Riccardi??
Weather?

Cottrell confirmed as Sub.

Pretty small bench, LoB, Newman, Owies and Kennedy, I suspect Kennedy might start FF and SoJ FP with Motlop on the bench to start.
The Force Awakens!