Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs GWS (Read 4313 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
I think a few of us are of the opinion that Mirkov is not strong enough and given his inexperience is unlikely to be able to exert and influence, let alone be competitive.
If TDK goes down, we WILL have no other choice than to ruck him, but until then we need him to keep plugging away and learning in the twos.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #46
Pruess would ragdoll most ruckman in terms of weight. I'm thinking more about preserving Tom......dont expect to win the ruck but dont want to see TDK worn down either given his injury history. Also not a fan of Cripps rucking....

Interested to see what we do in the ruck next week. Particularly given our travel and 5 day break.

Hope Williams is ok🤞🏼and Young is fresh after iso.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #47
If Young is back the thing is life gets a bit easier for TDK, because Young, Cripps and SoJ can take around the ground stoppages. If you can cut back the deep repeat running TDK has to do he'll stay fresh longer, as he gets a chance to recuperate.

Plus each week TDK gets through this stuff uninjured the bigger his tank gets.

But it'll be tough, this week we got a bit of advantage from surprise about how we would structure up, next week that advantage is gone. Also next weekend the Swans are seriously heavy lifting opposition in the midfield.

Not sure about the thoughts of others fans, but I was a bit surprised Greene wasn't given more of a midfield run today, I presume he's carrying an injury of sorts because nothing else really explains it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
I’m thrilled that we were able to win under real duress. Voss has talked about adding layers from day one. We’ve added layers allowing us to:
Stop the big runs resulting in getting rolled
Fill gaps left by many crucial injuries
Vary tempo in key moments
Hold on till the end
Win games with varied challenges
Win more than we lose

And that’s after only about 6 months of an entirely new coaching crew and game plan. On top of that Vossy’s public commentary is so superior to his predecessors in DT, BB, & MM.

There’s clearly much more to unfold. Can’t help but feel optimistic and a little in awe of the Voss Way

Go Blues
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
Nice to be in the 10 Best Moments twice.

Docherty’s long range goal
TDK’s speccy

Way better than featuring our players colliding into each other to stuff up a goal😳 Or kicking at the opposition’s goals😳
Henry Ford.

Reply #51
Useful debut by Motlop but I hoped he might have had more quickness to offer.

Reply #52
Still heavily dependent on scoring from dynamic centre clearances but we have progressively developed a slower ball movement capability that enables the team to conserve energy and pace itself better.  Hopefully that will reduce the likelihood of second half fade outs

Reply #53
Useful debut by Motlop but I hoped he might have had more quickness to offer.
Looked calm in traffic though, and appears to see the game unfold pretty well, wasn't afraid to sell some candy, found time and space.

Only concern I had was he could be seen hanging back not chasing a couple of times when the ball got turned over. They need to work on that early so it doesn't become a habit, on one occasion I saw either Durdin or Fisher run right past him to pressure an opponent. That should have triggered Motlop to react but he just kept jogging.

Just a kid though, so he needs time to grow the good habits.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I'm 184cm and around 80kg....Mirkov is 210cm and 104kg,  from where I'm looking up thats a decent size human.
im 178 and 100kg.  He looked skinny as Robert Warnock.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
Intensity/work-rate. Discipline. No passengers.

Bravo all players. Bravo Vossy and your coaching group.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
Looks to have awareness but lacks a yard and needs some running/conditioning work..
Might be a bit like a Cyril, though - doesn't need to touch it much, but lots of X factor and tackling intensity.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #58
Looks to have awareness but lacks a yard and needs some running/conditioning work..
Agreed, it seems to stand out.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Might be a bit like a Cyril, though - doesn't need to touch it much, but lots of X factor and tackling intensity.
Maybe, but I think Rioli created his own luck by being one of the hardest workers in the team, he'd chase and harass opposition all day long, much like Betts and it may be that Betts was even better at it without getting the same degree of media qudos as Rioli.

We are only just starting to see this behaviour from our small forwards, Durdin, Owies, Fisher, etc., etc., it has started to click, let's hope it clicks for Motlop as well!
The Force Awakens!