Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs GWS (Read 4278 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs GWS

Reply #60
Motlop was ok.  I saw him make 3 efforts in a row to apply pressure and tackle with 0 reward.  If he keeps that up he'll be fine.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
First game out, I thought he was OK.

Reply #62
I'm 184cm and around 80kg....Mirkov is 210cm and 104kg,  from where I'm looking up thats a decent size human.

I heard your 80kg was all muscle too! Lol.

Reply #63
Chris Johnson’s special comments were the worst most biased I’ve ever heard. He bitched and moaned every time we got a free, complained when we got a 50 yet didn’t say a word when GWS received the same then when the giants got to within 17 points again in the last quarter got that excited he could hardly contain himself.
Did Voss sack him when he was coach at Lions or something?
Then when Taylor asked if Durdin was doing these things when he was at North 🙄I thanked god Huddo and Jude Bolton where there.
Almost unlistenable at stages

Johnson’s comments really gave me the irits. At one stage a GWS player gave away a clear free kick that eventually led to a Blues goal. He complained on the basis that the offence did not really affect the flow of play at the time and should have been let go! Geez, let’s just throw out the rule book! At least another of the commentary team took him to task on it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
At least another of the commentary team took him to task on it.
They aren't surgeons, they do not see the consequences of their rather arbitrary outlook towards decision making.

I think most people aren't so fussed about umpires getting it wrong, but they are extremely offended if the wrong seems unidirectional. What we want is the same treatment all around and then we just wear the errors.

Perhaps the Ch.7 commentators should be seen and not heard!

I'm also a bit over the unprofessional aspect to commentators barracking for one team or the other, they may claim to be bipartisan but the truth is exposed in the timbre of their voice.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
The constant reference to GWS coming from 27 points down annoyed me - GWS hadn't been in their attacking half for the first 15 mins, of course they were going to settle and make a game of it.

Different year, different team - once we got to 3 goals in front in the last quarter, I was more relaxed.  There was some great defence - really scrapped it out from a constant barrage, although some of it was heart in mouth.

There was a nice gesture from Lachy Whitfield, giving Williams a supportive pat when he was being carried off.

Plenty of players had really good moments during the game.  A few have mentioned Motlop - pretty composed and comfortable.  Looked like he ran out of puff a bit earlier than the others, or didn't quite understand the constant effort required in AFL.  Happy with him in the #3.  Charlie worked his butt off.

I think someone mentioned they couldn't find room for Cripps in the votes.  It's not like he had a bad game - what a wonderful problem to have!

Go Blues (although not confident about this week).

Reply #66
EB...your earlier comment about "best avoid" being Coniglio. I reckon Dylan Shiel is the best avoid we've had.....soft, pack skirter and a front runner....and rightfully copping lots of flak about it.

Reply #67
I think GWS are just about ready to self implode. They looked like cooked chooks although talent  got them level at half time they just had no spark which was strange given the occasion. Always looked to me to be a side of talented individuals but not a team sacrifice outfit. Reckon there will be a fire sale at years end with blokes like Whitfield Kelly Green Coniglio wanting out as they know a rebuild coming. Even Greene looked to be going through the motions something I hadn’t seen before from such a fierce competitor

Reply #68
Johnson’s comments really gave me the irits. At one stage a GWS player gave away a clear free kick that eventually led to a Blues goal. He complained on the basis that the offence did not really affect the flow of play at the time and should have been let go! Geez, let’s just throw out the rule book! At least another of the commentary team took him to task on it.

I think that was when we received a 50m penalty for a protected area infringement that resulted in a goal.

Chris didn't express himself clearly - he's relatively new to the "art" of footy commentating - but I think that what he was trying to say makes sense.  The GWS player's transgression would not have affected Kennedy's kick and 50m is a harsh penalty under those circumstances.  Having a little leeway when adjudicating protected area and "stand" decisions would be better for the game ... but the rules/interpretation don't allow for that.  And that's what Chris neglected to say.

I have been impressed by Chris's work on radio.  His opinions are balanced and he has a wealth of footy knowledge.  Hopefully, he'll learn more from his ABC colleagues than from the buffoons on Ch 7.

I generally let the commentary from the likes of BT wash over me, particularly when we're in front and the commentary is aimed at maintaining the viewing audience rather than describing the action.  It must be infuriating for folk with impaired vision.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
Motlop was ok.  I saw him make 3 efforts in a row to apply pressure and tackle with 0 reward.  If he keeps that up he'll be fine.

I agree!

I didn't think Deadly was ready, but he proved me wrong ... again!

He showed a fair bit of toe in taking on opponents and running them down and he doesn't lack confidence or footy skills!

How good was Silvagni to gift him his first goal?  That's what makes Jack such a great team member.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
Just heard Williams injury is not Achilles but a calf tear.

Should return in second half of season before finals.

Reply #71

They said similar after the game.

That can be a sign of an achillies issue though.
Its kinda like a 'back related hamstring'. Hamstring feels sore, but its the back that is causing it.

Reply #72
They said similar after the game.

That can be a sign of an achillies issue though.
Its kinda like a 'back related hamstring'. Hamstring feels sore, but its the back that is causing it.
There was another very good example of that in our game, one of the GWS players went down holding his left hammy after he got a knee in the back from Doc during a marking attempt. That will be a nerve related back/hammy issue.

There goes the old sciatica again, just from talking about it! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73

Yeah I've heard similar, calf tear and no tendon surgery required, let's hope it is true.

Williams has his detractors, but I think he has been good this season, especially if he gets judged relative to peers rather than expectations.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
He's quick, tough and uses it well generally (I think he is still one of the best kicks of the footy in our team) and before we get the detractors shouting blue murder, if the others bit off what he did more regularly they too would look crap. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson