Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 2272 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
Swans are a good contested team and  are better up forward now with Buddy and Papley both back.
Going to be fierce in the midfield, be interesting to see Hewett vs Parker and crew. Parker copping a bit from the press for letting Shiel know what he thinks of his
attack on the ball.

Agree, the Swans will be a much harder nut to crack. Much tougher than GWS imho.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Sydney's only injury at present is Naismith while we have our usual ten to twelve unavailable. Delaney is important to them and it is interesting when he doesn't play how much they struggle. However he is not the sort of ruckman that De Konning has problems dealing with. The key to Sydney is Franklin, Papley and Heeney and Heeney has really killed us over the past few years though we have had problems with Toby Green in the past and we were able to manage him fairly well last week. Sydney is a very disciplined structured term which comes from having a stable game play for the past 15 to 20 years. My big tick for Voss so far is that he hasn't changed the game plan all that much, the greater use of the forward handpass is one innovation, but the real performance improvement has come from the playing personnel we have had available and the selection of a team rather than players. Dow isn't being selected because  because the position he would play is not available, not because he isn't in good form. We are also playing quicker players in the forward line like Durdin and Owies rather than Murphy and Betts so therefore we are able to slow the ball movement down that is coming out of our forward line which helps midfield to defend and makes our backline more effective. I see no reason why we cannot win this week, particularly if we win the midfield battle. Paddy McCartin has been a good get for them as he has given their defence better structure but if our forwards can apply pressure we could disrupt their system and actually exploit their structure. So I think victory by up to five goals.

Reply #17
Heeney has really killed us over the past few years though we have had problems with Toby Green in the past and we were able to manage him fairly well last week. 
While I'd love to give our club, coaches and players all the credit, I suspect Greene is carrying an injury, he didn't look 100% last weekend.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Heeney is an out and out star and hard to see who we match up on him as he's so strong in the air....I wonder if they've given even the remotest thought to pulling the trigger on Marchbank for this week?

Reply #19
...I wonder if they've given even the remotest thought to pulling the trigger on Marchbank for this week?
The way Marchbank cruised through 3/4s of the VFL game against Frankston I had the very same thought.

Nobody doubts Marchbank's ability, he was a cut above everybody else in the VFL, but he has to get on the park and stay there to win over fans!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Sydney's best match up for Cripps plays with him now.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #21
Parker is another dangerous player when he goes forward....like Heeney, strong in the air and knows where the goals are. Like any other week, our midfield can match it with anyone but it's having the defenders to defend. Stocker might come back in this week?

Reply #22
Heeney is an out and out star and hard to see who we match up on him as he's so strong in the air....I wonder if they've given even the remotest thought to pulling the trigger on Marchbank for this week?

Plowman.... 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #23

Plowman.... 
In the air but not on the ground, more about preventing the ball going down forward and allowing  Heeney to go one on one.
Hoping they need him in the midfield...Papley will be another nuisance.

Reply #24

Plowman.... 
Oh good lord no!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Young and Stocker are definite inclusions this Friday. 

Whoever makes way will be stiff.

I think that young Liam might have put the bump away but I wouldn’t mind seeing him matched up against Parker when the latter goes forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
IN - Liam Stocker, Lewis Young
OUT - Zac Williams (calf), Jack Newnes (managed), Brodie Kemp (omitted)

Reply #27
IN - Liam Stocker, Lewis Young
OUT - Zac Williams (calf), Jack Newnes (managed), Brodie Kemp (omitted)
Sub from...
[17] Brodie Kemp,
[2] Paddy Dow,
[37] Jordan Boyd,
[43] Will Setterfield

Kemp should be the sub.

Reply #28
Cottrell into the 22

Reply #29
I’m a little disappointed that Kemp didn’t keep his spot in the 22.  Hopefully, he’ll be the sub and I think that his versatility makes him ideally suited to that role.  Someone has to miss out though and, while his second half was good, he was a bit off the pace early in the game.

It’s good to see Cottrell named in the 22.  He has performed well when subbed on.

Dow can’t crack it for a game but he is clearly coming under serious consideration each week, as is Setterfield and Boyd.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball