Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney (Read 3406 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 10 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney

All ready for tomorrow night ... :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 10 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #1
I wrote this last week, and i'll write it again.

So....this is what we do now. - Win.

Don't let a fast finishing Sydney fool you. We controlled the game. They were 6.0 to start the game and kept them in it. We absolutely dominated the first half which allowed us to coast in the 2nd half, and turn it on when we needed too.

If we were any other team (and didn't have our history) we wouldn't have been as nervous at what most of us were. Other teams have confidence in their players and confidence that they'll be able to hold on. That confidence is there with our players....our supporters are not quite there yet.

The AFL is starting to take notice, we should too.

Reply #2
New Title for the thread
“Charlie and the mozzies”
🦟🦟🦟🦟
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #3
And add to the win we came off a 5 day break

Reply #4
Different side this one... Kennedy has been a big name,  big occasion player for a long time,  but watching the boys mob him after that late hit... Don't care who you are,  touch one of ours,  take the consequences.  Never seen Weeters so angry,  even had the good old fashioned pointy finger going.   Love the passion boys,  all pulling on the same rope in the same direction.  Great win. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5
And add to the win we came off a 5 day break

After an interstate game 😤
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
Great team win.
Great supporter win.
There seems to be a resolve with this team.
They believe,  it's only now us supporters are believing too.
Just imagine if we were injury free.
Well done Mr Voss and Co.
Loving the Vosswagen.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #7
That’s our best win for ages.
5 days to be precise 🥳

How funny was Longmire? One of the reasons they lost is that they lost in free kicks😆
Henry Ford.

Reply #8
That’s our best win for ages.
5 days to be precise 🥳

How funny was Longmire? One of the reasons they lost is that they lost in free kicks😆

They should have paid more to us.  Swans were very dirty today and I think the umpires missed plenty of head high hits on ours.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Went to the game - amazing! Heart was racing in the 3rd and the Swans looked suddenly more polished, stronger, fitter! But we did it 💪🏼 I can’t quite believe it and can’t wait to watch the replay.

We went with Swans fans down from Syd so couldn’t concentrate as well on the game as usual - what was with Cripps? And did JSOS spend a large amount of time off the ground? It felt like I didn’t see him for ages!

Still pinching myself, that first half was dynamite ❤️

Reply #10
Considering we had a 5 day day break (they had 6) against an team interstate and that we have the injuries that we do, this was a brilliant performance. No doubt about it, we beat a contender and beat them well.
[1] If we hadn't hit the post twice and had an unlucky 'touched', we would have been 3 - 4 goals up at quarter time. We dominated the quarter and they couldn't miss on the few occasions it got down there.
[2] We had only one quarter of centre dominance. We kicked 9 goals in it. We struggled in the ruck all night, as we have since Pitto went down. We will continue to struggle in the ruck until we get Pitto back, but that hasn't hurt as much as it would have in the last few years.
[3] Charlie Curnow kicked six, and he didn't even play that well. He had 6 marks and 11 disposals, but he had some very quiet patches. But when it mattered, he was in the right spot.
[4] Sydney must be ruing giving away George Hewett without a fight. He was brilliant again tonight. 9 clearances, 7 tackles and 32 possessions is just the sort of thing to stick it up your old team.
[5] Another former Swan, also showed what the Swans simply discarded and got 23 possessions. He isn't the perfect player, but not many Sydney players managed to get their hands on the ball like Nick Newman did.
[6] Lewis Young is a work in progress. He was well beaten by Logan McDonald. Would Kemp have done a better job? Probably not? Would Oscar Mac have done a better job? Possibly, as Oscar would keep better contact on his opponent. However, he is gone for the year and maybe forever. Would Liam Jones have done better? Probably. Jones was an excellent one on one defender who would have the pace and the aerial skills to dominate McDonald, especially when it comes to running off his man. Young was very ordinary in that regard tonight. But Young is what we've got.
[7] Our small forwards are looking dangerous, especially if we get the ball out of the middle. None of them is a marking target, and all of them were beaten in the air over the night a number of times. However, they proved their worth. if we'd had H out there, we would have taken more marks in the forward line, and Blakey would have had to match up on Silvagni, Cripps or de Koning. he wouldn't have beaten any one of them in the air on the night.
[8] For a small team, we took some towering marks tonight. Silvagni took a couple of beauties. De Koning took 3 huge marks in the last quarter, when it really mattered. Weitering took some pearlers against Franklin.
[9] Cerra was really done tonight. Cripps didn't have a big night, but he wasn't always in the midfield. Silvagni only had 10 possessions, but they were good ones. And yet, we were really good in the midfield.
[10] Tom de Koning has a long way to go as a tap ruckman: he got flogged again tonight. But, he is taking some very nice marks. His goal was a beauty. How much more dangerous is our forward line with him and McKay down there?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
Considering we had a 5 day day break (they had 6) against an team interstate and that we have the injuries that we do, this was a brilliant performance. No doubt about it, we beat a contender and beat them well.
[1] If we hadn't hit the post twice and had an unlucky 'touched', we would have been 3 - 4 goals up at quarter time. We dominated the quarter and they couldn't miss on the few occasions it got down there.
[2] We had only one quarter of centre dominance. We kicked 9 goals in it. We struggled in the ruck all night, as we have since Pitto went down. We will continue to struggle in the ruck until we get Pitto back, but that hasn't hurt as much as it would have in the last few years.
[3] Charlie Curnow kicked six, and he didn't even play that well. He had 6 marks and 11 disposals, but he had some very quiet patches. But when it mattered, he was in the right spot.
[4] Sydney must be ruing giving away George Hewett without a fight. He was brilliant again tonight. 9 clearances, 7 tackles and 32 possessions is just the sort of thing to stick it up your old team.
[5] Another former Swan, also showed what the Swans simply discarded and got 23 possessions. He isn't the perfect player, but not many Sydney players managed to get their hands on the ball like Nick Newman did.
[6] Lewis Young is a work in progress. He was well beaten by Logan McDonald. Would Kemp have done a better job? Probably not? Would Oscar Mac have done a better job? Possibly, as Oscar would keep better contact on his opponent. However, he is gone for the year and maybe forever. Would Liam Jones have done better? Probably. Jones was an excellent one on one defender who would have the pace and the aerial skills to dominate McDonald, especially when it comes to running off his man. Young was very ordinary in that regard tonight. But Young is what we've got.
[7] Our small forwards are looking dangerous, especially if we get the ball out of the middle. None of them is a marking target, and all of them were beaten in the air over the night a number of times. However, they proved their worth. if we'd had H out there, we would have taken more marks in the forward line, and Blakey would have had to match up on Silvagni, Cripps or de Koning. he wouldn't have beaten any one of them in the air on the night.
[8] For a small team, we took some towering marks tonight. Silvagni took a couple of beauties. De Koning took 3 huge marks in the last quarter, when it really mattered. Weitering took some pearlers against Franklin.
[9] Cerra was really done tonight. Cripps didn't have a big night, but he wasn't always in the midfield. Silvagni only had 10 possessions, but they were good ones. And yet, we were really good in the midfield.
[10] Tom de Koning has a long way to go as a tap ruckman: he got flogged again tonight. But, he is taking some very nice marks. His goal was a beauty. How much more dangerous is our forward line with him and McKay down there?

Great post

To add, I don’t think Cottrell is getting the acknowledgement he deserves. He’s playing at a level that I didn’t think was possible and has good leg speed, strength and kicks well/ he’s been great so far.

Durdin, barring one clanger, absolutely fantastic.

In relation to Young, he did lose contact with Logan more than once but I think we cut him some slack returning from Covid. I’m also so happy to see the back of Liam Jones, who was a poor decision maker and had 0 idea how to maintain structure - that change alone is worth 2-3 goals a week.

Reply #12
Well, well, well, a win on a Friday against a bit of a nemesis side off a 5 day break with a less than full strength side. You darken little beauty, 8-2. Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought we would be in this position.
- Weitering: Just a tower of strength, poised and calm. Led the defence Like A screwen Boss, Buddy who? You got owned champ.
- Doc: The man of steel, I honestly have so much love for this bloke. Becoming Doull like.
- Charlie: From a boy to a man in front of our eyes. I doubted he could return successfully but FMD am I chuffed for this bloke. What a performance. The defenders shat their pants every time the ball came to him forcing errors. Long may Prince Charles reign.
- The Mosquito Fleet II: Durds, Owies, Motts, their confidence is growing as unit and they will terrorise defences for many years to come. Sydney could not cope with them in the opening half, just imagine an extra qtr or two of that?
- TDK: Crash said he was beaten, I thought he absolutely smashed Hickey/ (and Ladhams when they matched up) . Towered over him at CBs more often than not to get the ball down and give us first use. Annihilated their rucks around the ground the ground, those three massive clunks in the last were worth their weight in gold. Tommy should be happy with that performance, bring that every week thanks.
- Bam Bam and George: They were the dynamic duo last night, took the majority of the load and were strong, particularly Bam Bam in the air.
- Fish: Special mention to him, Ill have to watch it again but he seemed to play a floating role that saw him operate from Half Back to Half Forward. Was extremely creative and dobbed a couple of nice goals.

Overall a good performance with much to work on and many to come back and strengthen the side. Vossy and co. have worked some seriously magic on that side. Hard, tough, uncompromising footy. Just like he used to play, dare I say it but I think we are are Ruthless...finally.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
Great post

To add, I don’t think Cottrell is getting the acknowledgement he deserves. He’s playing at a level that I didn’t think was possible and has good leg speed, strength and kicks well/ he’s been great so far.

Durdin, barring one clanger, absolutely fantastic.

In relation to Young, he did lose contact with Logan more than once but I think we cut him some slack returning from Covid. I’m also so happy to see the back of Liam Jones, who was a poor decision maker and had 0 idea how to maintain structure - that change alone is worth 2-3 goals a week.

I thought it was a mini break out game for Cottrell.
Had a few tricks and looked composed.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #14
Loved Weiters post game interview. He has really become a very capable media performer.
Reality always wins in the end.