Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney (Read 3456 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
I like Whately's comment this morning on SEN, something like: I didn't see a fade out, I saw a challenge and I saw a response.
Perfect assessment, Sydney are not mugs, they have talent and are well coached. They threw the kitchen sink at us and we held up to it.

I suspect that’s why Horse resembled a stunned mullet in his presser 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
Great team effort. Really like what Cripps is bringing to the game. Might not have got any Brownlow votes over the past two weeks but he is doing some real heavy lifting in the ruck/follower role he has. Just got to get rid of his clangers. Kevin Bartlett always said that he use to hit Royce Hart on the chest every time, it was just that Hart was usually standing on someone else's shoulders, TDK is a bit like that. Not sure we can fit Big H in the side. He will probably have to come back through the twos and wait for an injury. Fisher has become a lot more effective since he has stopped trying to think and just started doing. Sydney has very few injuries and we have a fair few. As we play together more and we get more good players back I think we will improve. I am not sure where Sydney's improvement will come from. Tackling up the ground and in the midfield takes so much pressure off the backline.  On top of that we have got a lot of good players down there. Weitering reminds me of Southby and Saad is as good as any half back we have ever had except for probably Doull. We have been able to defend our turnovers in the middle of the park this year better than previous seasons but we won't get away with it against Brisbane and Melbourne. We need to stop turning the ball over in the middle of the park. this comes down to the decision making of the person with the ball in their hands and the person who is calling for the ball. You can't afford to get too excited. I am sure the coaching staff will be working on it. Finally, if we had won by five two instead of two five, there would have been a lot less angst.

Reply #32
And something very poignant from BT late in the last:

"Winning was once and occasion, now its becoming an expectation"
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
You may have noticed, as the futility of the Swans revival slowly faded the likelihood of our victory grew, and in proportion the more depressive BT's voiceover became!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
You may have noticed, as the futility of the Swans revival slowly faded the likelihood of our victory grew, and in proportion the more depressive BT's voiceover became!
I didn't get that actually.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
We are outright 3rd favourites for the flag currrently.

Reply #36
Lachie o brien appreciation post.

His best game in navy.  His 1% were huge against Sydney.

I counted at least 2 smothers and a few spoils against blokes bigger than him.  Might have ducked once but I can forgive the odd one.
Still remain unconvinced about Obrien but credit where its due he is trying hard to work on his weaknesses and while that change is taking place you can forgive the odd regression.

Reply #37
Lachie o brien appreciation post.

His best game in navy.  His 1% were huge against Sydney.

I counted at least 2 smothers and a few spoils against blokes bigger than him.  Might have ducked once but I can forgive the odd one.
Spot on Thry, there are lots of others doing this also. Workman like efforts that don't appear on stat sheet or even the scoreboard but they are what is helping translate Ls to Ws. Blokes, Durdin, Cottrell, Owies, SOS, Plowman (can't believe I wrote that), et al.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #38
Kennedy given a week for his hit on Doc.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
you know we have arrived when friends who don't support us start saying geez you guys are good - I enjoyed the game last night etc...
Brings a smile to the dial. One was even a Bombre supporter. Oh Boy.
My 11 yr old hasn't been to footy for 3 years - said "I'll come to the footy any time Dad" in the last qtr when Fish kicked that goal. Proud Dad Moment
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #40
Possibly TDK’s best game I thought. He got outmuscled a couple of times but used his agility to advantage. Q4 marking around the ground was sublime given the stage of the game & the 5d break.

Fisher seems to have improved his output and features in many offensive waves. His positioning around goals is just smart.

LoB is growing in confidence. He knows his role and has developed a more competitive attack on the ball. Especially loved his pressure on the ball carrier. Didn’t always lay a tackle but got enough contact to effect the disposal.

A lot of the boys are doing those extra pressure acts, which seems to be expected downfield, resulting in improved connection. At long last it looks like players know their role, know each other’s role, and have the presence to read and respond to advantage.

While Crippa and Cerra had less of it. What they did with it was crucial and complemented the inside expertise of Hewett and Bam Bam. I don’t like Crippa in the ruck!

Our ex-swans had a day out, which hopefully rubbed salt into the swans wounds.

I’ve admired JK but the footage of the hit on Doc is damming. The response to the hit, however, was fast, fierce, and united. No surprise who was on the bottom of the pack of the scuffle. Liam Stocker.

Charlie had a big task and rose above it. Six times with change for the mozzies. They were busy and will only get better. Gee Durdin of the Corey kind (for BT), is a beauty.

Speaking of BT. Did he call Walshy Lochie in the post match interview? He looked so uninterested and uncomfortable during the interviews. He needs to bugger off if he can’t provide neutral, informative, accurate, entertaining comments. I noticed roaming Brian was cancelled 🧐 Not that I would have watched it.

That was our best performance under great duress. It’s surreal being 8-2 at this stage of the club’s evolution and the state of our sick bay. What makes me quietly confident is that different challenges have been met with different adaptations. No coach, no problem. No ruck, no problem. No KPD and KPF, no problem. These are signs of resilience. Resilient clubs have sustained success.

Finally. I was disgusted by the AFL’s incompetent management of the coin toss in the opening round of SDNR. I really felt for Sid. I hope he received a genuine apology.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #41
you know we have arrived when friends who don't support us start saying geez you guys are good - I enjoyed the game last night etc...
Brings a smile to the dial. One was even a Bombre supporter. Oh Boy.
My 11 yr old hasn't been to footy for 3 years - said "I'll come to the footy any time Dad" in the last qtr when Fish kicked that goal. Proud Dad Moment
My 15yo is LOVING it! He has remained a loyal member all the way thru so I’m glad he’s finally getting to see some good play 👏🏽

Reply #42
My 15yo is LOVING it! He has remained a loyal member all the way thru so I’m glad he’s finally getting to see some good play 👏🏽

Good for him !!

Reply #43
Bank the 4 points and move on to the next game. They keep saying we haven’t beaten any decent teams. Fact is there are fewer sides above us on the ladder than below. Beating Sydney by any margin is always a good win. I just can’t understand how TDK, Silvagni and Cripps can hold their own in the ruck. How they are coming even, or getting the better of the rucking contests, is beyond me. I really like the potential in TDK. Great leap and good hands in contested marking, based on the effort against the Swans.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #44
Is it a bit of a stretch to say that Pittonet's injury may cost Cripps a real chance at the Brownlow this year due to his change of role and taking one for the team??