Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4994 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #90
On my birthday last year, carlton defeated Collingwood in an unlikely win to provide a great gift.

Today is my mates birthday who is a Collingwood fan. Hopefully the roles are not reversed....
You had to say that didn't you? :D
My daughter and I are going, we haven't seen a win live in years, now all the negative juju will follow me all day. I won't be able to stomach a loss to this mob.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
I think the old mid-season slump probably was at least partly attributable to lower players' salaries and laxer gambling scrutiny in the past. A well-timed bet against the team when it was riding high helped to make sure the trip was first-rate.

Imagine the odds that bookies would have offered for Sydney to beat Carlton by more than 39.5 points in 1995 as Carlton was steam-rolling towards a flag. And the odds in the following week for St Kilda to beat Carlton by more than 39.5 points would have been only slightly lower. Then, the odds of Carlton thrashing the Hawks by more than 100 points in the week after those 2 losses would have been pretty juicy as well. Not to say that the boys did back against themselves, but such swings these days would certainly be investigated more thoroughly than your average murder.

Possibly.
I was thinking a bit farther back than 1995 to when I was a young'un.
I'd say the money in 1995, while nowhere near what it is now, wasn't too bad.

I was at the Swans game in 95. I'd like to think it was a couple of weeks when we went in overconfident and paid the price rather than the alternative.
We were also missing Kernahan and Williams for both games.

But the whispers got around that there were other reasons for the loss and it becomes a bit of a story.

These days such losses are easily explained by things such as increasing training blocks for a time leaving the players a bit flat or injuries to key personnel as happened to Melbourne last night.

Reply #92
Jack Carroll looks like the sub, with no last minute changes as Kemp, Martin and Boyd are all playing for the VFL

Reply #93
The 95 losses in hindsight look sus but when they happened it was only 7 games after the 94 finals capitulation. After those two horror matches we were 7-5 from our last 10 games.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!