Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon (Read 5721 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #45
Surelythis poor bastard has utilised every possible injury ticket issued to him,.
I just hope we are not dumb enough to expect him to stand Wright, Draper, Philips etc and give him a task that is within his capabilities and that he is eased back in and Sam Durdin plays so he and Young get the gorillas to mind.

Reply #46
We've been missing an intercept tall defender since Jonesy retired. His timing to leave his man and intercept pre injuries was elite imo.

Reply #47
firstly wat is the weather like friday night i hope essendope go in to tall ,need to bring the speed into the side ,coll,freo,goldcoast they beat us with quick ball movement not individuals players.

Reply #48
Yep. IIRC, against Port none of Wright, Phillips, Draper, or Jones (or Shiel for that matter) took any contested marks in F50, save for 1 mark by Wright in a one-on-one contest near the boundary on the 50m arc. Phillips took a mark when he was rucking and his opponent let him run into the F50 to take an uncontested mark which gave Essendon its first goal. Harrison Jones took 2 marks running back towards goal with no one near him and took another before a Freo player was able to get close enough to apply body pressure. That’s a pretty paltry return when smaller forwards would have had just as much success in the air as well as applying more defensive pressure.

Reply #49
The midfield, contested ball, clearance stuff is our strength....and Essendon's weakness at the moment. Reckon they'll have Stringer in the middle quite a bit to try and match us in that area. Win that area well and we'll give our forwards plenty of chances to score. Perkins might be a hard match up but reckon we can cover them in most areas. As EB pointed out, their defence isn't a strong point. This is one we should win.

Reply #50
They still reckon H is a chance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Reckon they'll have Stringer in the middle quite a bit to try and match us in that area.
If Essendon is forced to play Stringer as a deep forward, that would be a win for us. It would be like us being forced to play Cripps at full forward. Stringer is just the sort of explosive big-bodied mid that Essendon lacks. After an injury lay-off and given he isn’t a fitness fanatic, he might have to play as a forward.

Reply #52
I just hope we are not dumb enough to expect him to stand Wright, Draper, Philips etc and give him a task that is within his capabilities and that he is eased back in and Sam Durdin plays so he and Young get the gorillas to mind.

I suspect Durdin might miss EB, and that would be a mistake in my book.  Marchbank, at his best, is a very good intercept marking defender but he's only played 5 quarters of VFL footy in the last three years.  Asking him to match up on a bloke 12cm taller and 11kg heavier in his first full game of footy in three years could be a bridge too far.

Essendon's tall forwards probably don't faze many opposition teams but Wright's averaging just under two contested marks a game and just under 2.5 marks inside 50 ... and that's against genuine key defenders.

Weitering's comments on SEN suggest that Durdin could be in the mix later in the season ... but he could be spinning a yarn.

Whatever happens, we're going to have to dominate the stoppages, control possession and lock the ball inside our forward half.

On a brighter note, the rumours about Harry being right to play are gathering momentum.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
They still reckon H is a chance.
It's early, but he trained pretty well apparently, did everything with everybody.

It will depend on the specifics of the injury and the repair, but the word is he did enough to throw a spanner into CheatsFC planning.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
If he's there and parked inside the forward 50 it'll free up Charlie to roam rather than be the full forward. Forward line would look completely different again with H and also Jack Martin up there....add Owies/Durdin/Fisher/Silvagni....

Reply #55
We don't want to take too many into the game with question marks over them. And in McKay's case, we can't afford to play him if there's any risk at all of a relapse. Essendon hasn't been a good team this year. Yes, it's possible they'll play a blinder but we need to take advantage of playing lesser teams whether that's by playing Marchbank after 3 years out of the senior team or resting McKay if there's any risk at all.

Reply #56
Footballers thats cant play half injured are not footballers.

Reply #57
Risk versus reward.  I'd rather the caution

Reply #58
Risk versus reward.  I'd rather the caution
I reckon if he says he's right to go he's right to go. H is a different person these days, a mature and elite preparer who leaves no stone unturned during the preseason and during the season proper and Ill bet he would have rehabbed the bejesus out of that knee and set himself for this game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
I reckon if he says he's right to go he's right to go. H is a different person these days, a mature and elite preparer who leaves no stone unturned during the preseason and during the season proper and Ill bet he would have rehabbed the bejesus out of that knee and set himself for this game.

Since the Terrier’s arrival, we have had a pretty good record with players returning after injury.  It’s those who re-injure themselves during rehab that are the problem.

If the medical staff pass Harry fit to play, he gets through tomorrow’s training, and he says that he’s good to go, then he’s good to go.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball