Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 15 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 5831 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 15 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #60
Two different views of the Newnes goal. ;D

Commentator A (let's call him BT)

"They get around Jack Newnes, surely that's not his first goal for the football club" :o
(He must have missed the one against Freo after the siren in 2020)

They've all come to him We're a bit mystified"

"It's his 200th"

"The players really know their numbers these days don't they, 200 goals?"

"No it's his 200th game"

Oh well, that's about games.
Big deal.
Chair him off, chair him to the interchange.

Commentator B
(As the players get around Newnes)

"If you want to know what culture looks like on the field. That's it right there!"

Surprisingly I think B was actually Jordan Lewis (no Carlton lover)
BT is a dinosaur that has hit his used by date.

Reply #61
I wasn't there but the commentators (especially those at ground level) spoke of the noise level when Charlie and H (especially the former) went to work and did their thing. They were saying how it was like nothing else they've ve heard in along time. Can anyone  comment on this?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
I wasn't there but the commentators (especially those at ground level) spoke of the noise level when Charlie and H (especially the former) went to work and did their thing. They were saying how it was like nothing else they've ve heard in along time. Can anyone  comment on this?

I took my kids (7 and 5) and our seats were level 1 under the cover of level 2 so you get that echo and they were a bit scared. It was loud.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63

I was there and lucked into some medallion club tickets on level 2.
Never sat there before, but didn't think the noise was anything out of the ordinary.

Like mbb though, I've got 2 kids same age and they've been scared once or twice when on level one. It's louder down there.

Reply #64
The biggest roar I heard in recent memory was when Kreuzer kicked the winner against Port Adelaide at the Dome in Simmos 250th to put us ahead with only a couple of mins left.

My niece actually started crying, and we were up on level 3.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
The biggest roar I heard in recent memory was when Kreuzer kicked the winner against Port Adelaide at the Dome in Simmos 250th to put us ahead with only a couple of mins left.

My niece actually started crying, and we were up on level 3.

That was an amazing and emotional moment which I will always remember.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
Having the roof closed probably amplifies crowd noise; Darklands’ crowds certainly seem noisier than the MCG.

Charlie’s goals certainly produced a great response but I’m not sure that the crowd was any noisier than when responding to other plays, positively or negatively.  The frequent  high noise levels seemed louder than at other games … but we still didn’t achieve the positive affirmation that other well-supported teams seem to enjoy.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
Agree with the sentiment...best win of the season. In terms of 4 quarters of footy AND given who we had out with injuries and not forgetting it was against a team that beat Melbourne and Brisbane in consecutive weeks. Voss clearly doesn't like dwelling on who isn't out there, but it's hard as a fan not to think "what might be" if we could get the likes of Weitering, McGovern, Marchbank, Pittonet, Williams, Cerra, Martin, Owies etc back fit and firing.

Lewis Young is shaping up as a real find and no doubt the last 3 or so weeks out there without Weitering will probably prove to be a huge boost for his confidence in knowing he can mix it with the good forwards and spoil and compete.

The midfield was back to its best, our defence held strong and we got 6 goals from Harry/Charlie.

For me, the biggest thing to take out of that win is the performances of our blokes who play a role....Newnes, Cottrell, Fisher, O'Brien etc. If I'm correct, 5 of our 12 goals came from Newnes, Cottrell and O'Brien? At the start of the season, the majority of us wouldn't have had any of them in our best 22. And yet a bloke like Cottrell has probably cemented his spot in the 22 and O'Brien is probably the same? They seem to be able to do the little things and play their part.

No doubt a lot of this comes back to Voss as the coach. He looks to have instilled something in the players we haven't seen before. They love the contest, they love getting in there and scrapping. He was a brutal competitor and 14 games into the season, it's starting to show I reckon. As someone else commented, Silvagni is right in the opposition's face every chance he gets. But he backs up the verbal jousting with a fierce competitiveness....he doesn't back down....don't tell me Voss wouldn't just love that.

Injuries might cruel any chance of going deep into the finals....who knows. But I see a playing list that's capable of winning one within the next couple of years:

1. Quality backline with the likes of Weitering, Docherty and Saad.
2. Quality midfield with Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra, Hewett.
3. TDK developing very quickly and his ability to go forward with his skillset...he can become a real weapon.
4. Elite tall forwards with Harry and Charlie...and a bevy of small forward options who can apply the pressure...Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Honey and Fisher (who gets up the ground and uses his pace too).

Play like that against St Kilda and we should account for them

Reply #68
Thought I noticed Fisher using his right foot a couple of times Saturday, something I'd like him to persevere with just a few times a game.

Reply #69
Having the roof closed probably amplifies crowd noise; Darklands’ crowds certainly seem noisier than the MCG.

Charlie’s goals certainly produced a great response but I’m not sure that the crowd was any noisier than when responding to other plays, positively or negatively.  The frequent  high noise levels seemed louder than at other games … but we still didn’t achieve the positive affirmation that other well-supported teams seem to enjoy.

The deliberate out of bounds against Fyfe (I think) was a crowd decision. He had absolutely no motive to kick it out of bounds on purpose.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #71
The Fyfe decision was the wrong decision but the circumstances were bizarre enough that the decision can’t be solely ascribed to the crowd noise. With the benefit of replays and time to think, the commentators came up with a very plausible explanation for that kick. They noted an umpire had run into F50 moving towards goal and Fyfe appeared to be targeting the umpire in the mistaken belief he was a team mate running free into goal. If the umpires had had the luxury of time as cricket umpires do to get together for a discussion, they may have figured it out.

Without that missing piece to the puzzle, the kick from Fyfe was a perfectly executed kick which went exactly where he intended. There was no hint of it being a miskick. And it would have ended up with Freo having a stoppage and the chance to lock the ball in to F50 by setting up the wall. In the umpire’s mind, Fyfe may have preferred this outcome rather than kicking to a contest or taking a very low percentage pot shot at goal that was likely to yield only a point and hand possession to Carlton.

Reply #72
The deliberate out of bounds against Fyfe (I think) was a crowd decision. He had absolutely no motive to kick it out of bounds on purpose.
I would actually disagree. I thought at the time that there wasn't anything he was a certain to kick to, so he chose the boundary to get a ball-in, which should be to their advantage.
I may be wrong: I can't read people's minds. However, I thought at the time that his disposal was tactical.

When they paid the decision against us early in the piece, they opened a can of worms.
Considering a number of other decisions that did NOT go our way, especially when Durdin was tackled around the knees, I was quite willing to take that one as payback. H should have had about 8 frees in goalkicking range, but had one (and probably the least obvious one at that).

A similar thing happened with a mark that was paid. The 3rd Freo goal was paid from a mark that wouldn't be paid 99% of the time. It was a poor decision, and we paid for it. However, it did make the umpires pay the one to Charlie Curnow later in the game. Mind you, he should have got a free for front on contact, but I'm not going there.

The free paid against Docherty was another shocker: Docherty stopped when he heard a whistle and didn't try to get rid of the ball.  Then he was tackled and had the free paid against, which cost us a goal. That was not smart umpiring.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #73
Did well I thought. I wonder if his tackle on one of their talls ?Logue was included. He hung on and got spun around like a pole dancer.

Think that was the one on the wing in font of me. Remember he came steaming in and virtually went past him to then lay the tackle from the opposite side that he came from. Outstanding and it really stood out.

Reply #74

As others have mentioned, Fyfe may have been honouring an umpire’s lead.  However, the rule is now insufficient intent to keep the ball in play and the free against Fyfe was no worse than a couple we got pinged for.

Perhaps the angry response to those decisions helped sway the umpire’s mind 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball