Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 15 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 5579 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 15 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #75
I remember thinking as Fyfe kicked it and before the decision was made "What will the umpire do here?"
It was uncertain enough that the decision could have gone either way and it would have been OK.

Reply #76
There is not one single thread of logic to suggest that a guy 50 metres out from his own unguarded goal would deliberately kick a perfect drop punt to go out of bounds 20 metres around from goal. 

Fyfe himself said at the time that he thought the boundary umpire was a team mate.

If it had been paid against us, we would have been screaming.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #77
There is not one single thread of logic to suggest that a guy 50 metres out from his own unguarded goal would deliberately kick a perfect drop punt to go out of bounds 20 metres around from goal. 

Fyfe himself said at the time that he thought the boundary umpire was a team mate.

Exactly.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #78

That's till insufficient intent to keep the ball in play.  Even kicks that slew off the boot or bounce at right angles are paid if the umpire deems that the player isn't trying to keep the ball in play. 

If Fyfe had kicked towards goal, we had numbers back and were likely to have gained possession.  A boundary throw in 20 metres from goal and with Darcy to contest the hitout is a much better option.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
The sooner they follow the SANFL's lead where all kicks out of play are penalised the better.

Remove the grey area.

Oh and no one ever kicks it out on purpose.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
The sooner they follow the SANFL's lead where all kicks out of play are penalised the better.

Remove the grey area.

Oh and no one ever kicks it out on purpose.
I'm not a fan of this idea. I've seen players of one team take out opponents so the ball goes over the line untouched. That is not what our game is about.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
I'm not a fan of this idea. I've seen players of one team take out opponents so the ball goes over the line untouched. That is not what our game is about.

That would be rare. I watched a lot of SANFL games last year and it works well.

Currently an umpire will pay whatever he feels like paying.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #82
Adrian Barridge labelling SOS the newest sledging machine in the league.
Not very nice is it?

Mind you. I'm ok with our boys losing the choirboy moniker
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #83
Adrian Barridge labelling SOS the newest sledging machine in the league.
Not very nice is it?

Mind you. I'm ok with our boys losing the choirboy moniker
He's a Silvagni, chip off the old block, love it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
I’m sure that Jack has copped it for 15 yrs about how he’s no good and only gets a game because of his name, He’d relish giving it back with interest.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #85

Not a fan either.  I don’t think it adds to AFLW game, particularly with the different outcomes inside and outside 50.

The “insufficient intent” rule is another failed attempt to provide umpires with greater clarity when determining whether a free should be paid.  The previous “deliberate” out of bounds rule resulted in less frees being paid for inconsequential acts. 

I’d rather see more ruck contests than free kicks  - particularly when we’ve got such dominance in stoppage clearances 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #86
That would be rare. I watched a lot of SANFL games last year and it works well.

Currently an umpire will pay whatever he feels like paying.

Don't mind the idea. I like the AFLW rule where it is the last touch between thd 50m arcs.

Reply #87
Don't mind the idea. I like the AFLW rule where it is the last touch between thd 50m arcs.

Yep, I think that's the starting point.

I'd like to see it as last touched by foot over the line first though.

Reply #88
Agreed....imagine a defender going for a match saving spoil in the back pocket in the dying seconds of a game and be penalised because the ball goes out? Opponent gets a shot on goal....

Reply #89
Could consider the idea of "indirect free kicks" i.e. cannot  directly score a goal from such frees?
Reality always wins in the end.