Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 4932 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #15
I think we may have got more credit  for the Freo win than was warranted....and I suspect we'll get more criticism than is warranted for this performance.
At the end of the round we'll probably sit on the ladder exactly where we should be.

Lods the logician 😉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #16
Footy is often about timing, we are light on for talls due to injury and we run into Stkilda with  4 good ins and especially their trump card ruck duo in Ryder and Marshall playing together and while TDK was brave and got his share of hitouts it didnt work with Jack tonight imo and we were hurt in the ruck and around the ground especially. Some good coaching from Ratten with Hill running loose early off half back and we helped them out by kicking poorly for goal when we had momentum our way. They had injuries in the last quarter which should have helped us bu it probably inspired them and it was one of those games where we couldnt do much right.
Cripps and Walsh won plenty of ball but didnt really impact the game and I even thought the reliable Hewett was off his game as well. Sinclair was probably BOG and appeared to be playing off half back so I'm not sure who his man was(Honey?) but he didnt spend much time with the Stkilda player who racked them up and started a lot of their attacks.
Membrey likes playing us but I didnt blame Plowman as some of his goals were not the result of poor play by Plowman and I felt for Kemp who was monstered down back but battled on.
LOB had a shocker and Cerra was very average but back after injury he can be forgiven for being under par...
Saints are rubbish imo which makes a loss hard to take but like I said its all about timing in footy and we probably copped the Saints with one of their better teams picked and we probably had one of our worst teams in terms of matchups.
I'd be expecting to rebound hard and flog WC next game hopefully with Weitering back....

Reply #17
Charlie was also very average tonight EB.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
Missing goals is a nothing burger if quality is not consistent around the ground to defend goals.
We are doing well considering but need quality back asap. Some ground ball players are not AFL level.

Reply #19
Charlie was also very average tonight EB.
That he was Cookie, Harry was equally as laconic and uninspiring, Charlies kicking for goal was poor but his opponent Wilkie is very underrated and Charlie needed to work harder like a lot of our other players.
The Owies, Fisher, Durdin trifecta has been missing and while Motlop kicked three goals he doesnt give you that i5o pressure, chasing, tackling etc that creates extra goals and I think Owies has been a underrated player whose 1% ers have been badly missed.

Reply #20
Thought it was the worst defensive performance for the year.  Poor kicking turnovers were very costly tonight and as has always been the case in recent years out of form small forwards managed to hit the scoreboard against us yet again.

Our tall forwards were drawn wide and too far out way too often resulting in harder shots on goal. Still goal kicking was crap but couldn’t get one on one deep entries to Charlie or Harry  - Ratten had a win in coaches box imo as we should have been able to get those one on ones but just couldn’t. Harry had a massive height advantage in the last and still we couldn’t use it at all to our advantage. 

Hewitt and Cerra were a lot less creative then normal and usual suspects that struggle when the pressure is on coughed it up resulting in goals.

Next week is another tough game imo and if we play like we did tonight we won’t get those points either.

Don’t see us as a genuine top 4 team and will still need to find 3 more wins to play finals so next week is a massive game we just can’t afford to lose as it gets tougher from there on.

Reply #21
We are pretenders
This should've been the result of our game last week.
In it, but unable to get there due to the injuries we had.

Last week should've been the result of this week.
Despite injuries, pulled together to squeeze out a decent win.

We lucked out last week.....this is more about where we are at with injuries etc.

Reply #22
Honey provides very little and looks way off the level at the moment and as much as I’m tired of watching Martin do sfa would swap them next week if he’s available.

Also thought it was Jacks worst game in a long time. Butchered the ball several times which is usually his strength. 

Hard to find a real winner for us tonight on the field or in the coaches box.

Reply #23
Honey provides very little and looks way off the level at the moment and as much as I’m tired of watching Martin do sfa would swap them next week if he’s available.

Also thought it was Jacks worst game in a long time. Butchered the ball several times which is usually his strength. 

Hard to find a real winner for us tonight on the field or in the coaches box.
Owies back in will make us better in terms of i50 pressure...Martin usually plays a quarter only but thats probably better than what Honey gave us tonight and he has a lot of work to do especially on his defensive work.
We need Pittonet back so Jack can go back to being a third tall forward FT.

Reply #24
We need Pittonet back so Jack can go back to being a third tall forward FT.
We need SoJ in D50, he'll be a 300% upgrade on Kemp who isn't a defenders butthole and never will be!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
When the going gets tough, players are found wanting. Had too many passengers tonight. As inconsistent and spasmodic as Jack Martin has been, if he's fit for next week he has to come in for Honey, who basically only did one really good thing tonight. Weiters in for Kemp is a lock. Has to be. No question. Cerra was so way off tonight he can only improve. I hope. O'Brien was shocking tonight but he has credit in the bank. Newnes while not as bad was equally non-existent. Lesser lights have to play at heir optimum all the time so when we have a double-whammy ineffective forward line (Charlie (1.4 seriously?) & Harry were putrid)  and non-clearance out of the middle it relieves the pressure. I can basically recall in my drunken stupor that we had at least 5 directly in front kickable goals squandered during the course of the game.
Charlie x 2
TDK
Hewett
Durdin.
Not talking about on the angle stuff. Directly in front and within the 50 arc. Just atrocious. I may have missed some, oh that's right Jack's left foot snap 20 metres out. So 6 goals gone begging
Positives were that we actually got through the game without injury (at this stage)
Motlop did enough to get another game.
Thought Cripps was outstanding.
Doc does not know the meaning of defeat.
What I wouldn't give for Ed Curnow to have been back for this game. Don't forget him folks. A lot would think that his time is over but until I see him play I'm not giving up on him.
We move on. Another chance to prove ourselves next week against a team we should comfortably get over.
We lost to the F#%$@n Aints FFS. A very average team IMO Horrendous result.

Reply #26
We need SoJ in D50, he'll be a 300% upgrade on Kemp who isn't a defenders butthole and never will be!

Without saying anything about Soj in defence, he's not really played there for us either.  You're thinking of his old man and making a bit of a guess. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
Whole side were off the boil from the first bounce. Field kicking was poor (especially Silvagni) and Cerra looked injured.

LOB and Newnes couldn’t cope with the higher  pressure and we would be far better served by Dow - as I’ve said before the notion that Dow can’t play wing is nonsense.

Honey and Durdin simply weren’t effective against the run of Hill and Sinclair and they didn’t work hard enough to get to the fall of the contest.

Harry and Charlie’s contests and kicking - not good.

Weitering, McGovern, Pittonet and Cunningham will all help.

Reply #28
Hopefully in our development we learn from games like today.

This team will get a flag but along the way crap like today happens as we develop further. The season has been about developing new habits but some of the d habits take time to erase.

Reply #29
Well that was fun to watch...not.
Indeed. If we could have made any other mistakes, I cannot imagine it. The umpires even weren't that bad.
We were thrashed in the centre square, which made it hard to win. We didn't squash either Hill or Sinclair, who are rubbish when the heat is on. Our kicking for goal was deplorable, and that is being kind.
Live Long and Prosper!