Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 4933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #45
@ Baggers Yes perspective indeed and our future is bright no doubt. But I think after last night, the talk of us making finals and winning the premiership will be tempered somewhat from all and sundry. As we get to the business end of the season, the real contenders will emerge and be clear to all. Not saying StK are contenders, far from it. Even with our depleted, if it wasn't for atrocious kicking for goal and sub par workrate, we would have beaten them. But we didn't and some home truths will brought to them this week. To be top 4 and regarded as a contender, we would have to just about win every game against the teams lower than us and two out of Melb, Bris, Geel. Not gonna happen..this year.

Yep. We're still young at winning and with that comes too many fluctuations. This is the Vossmeister's first year at the helm, along with the assistants... everyone is still learning, a year of learning and discovering. I see us as a bottom 8 side this year (5-8) which is reflected in our %.

Totally agree re talk of top 4, was great but fanciful. Persistence and concentration for 4 quarters AND game to game consistency is still a focus.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Sorry Baggers but that is complete disrespect to StKilda. They controlled most of the game, withstood our surge and finished us off.

So many missed goals is subtly demoralising... little reward for effort. And it keeps your opposition in the game... buoys them. I mean no respect for the Aints, they brought their best. But I am extremely sure that had we converted properly it would have buoyed us and likely folded them - scoreboard pressure. The important thing is that we learn from this. Efficiency is the thing that top 4 sides do, consistently.

Reply #47

Who was the better team?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #48

Who was the better team?

That's not 'who was the better team,' that's 'who won?' 33 shots on goal to 24... guess who would be ruing a lost opportunity and guess who'd be pleased they made the most of their opportunities.

Reply #49
So many missed goals is subtly demoralising... little reward for effort. And it keeps your opposition in the game... buoys them. I mean no respect for the Aints, they brought their best. But I am extremely sure that had we converted properly it would have buoyed us and likely folded them - scoreboard pressure. The important thing is that we learn from this. Efficiency is the thing that top 4 sides do, consistently.

Who was the better team?

We kicked their butt for 3 qtrs of that game. Lost by 35pts in the 3rd qtr.

Anyway, I digress. I can see your point

Reply #50
Honey provides very little and looks way off the level at the moment and as much as I’m tired of watching Martin do sfa would swap them next week if he’s available.

Also thought it was Jacks worst game in a long time. Butchered the ball several times which is usually his strength. 

Hard to find a real winner for us tonight on the field or in the coaches box.

Honey looks like he will be a player just not this year with his injury issues, time out of the game  re playing and training. He'll be better next year.

Reply #51
Have lost 3 of our last 5.

All such narrow squeaks too. Pies and Tigers were fought furiously to get back into the game. This one we pissed down the drain.

Wasn't expecting flags this year, just a further year adding to our development. To be near equal to the top of the ladder at some point was way beyond out expectations. That tends to raise the expectations of us supporters too before time. I look at this year like the Bulldogs 2015 season. Good year, 6th place, out first week, premiers the next year. Or similar like Hawthorn in 2007.

Reply #52
Our scoring has dried up since Weitering went out. 6 of our first 10 games we scored over 100, haven't got near it since.

Generally scoring, on average, has been getting lower ad the season has gone on.

Reply #53
Generally scoring, on average, has been getting lower ad the season has gone on.
Due to the weather and the condition of the ground, sure.
Non-factors at Marvel

Reply #54
It's just down to the evolution of tactics as clubs get their head around playing under the current rules.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
A few positives

Witnessed the negative impact playing underdone boys
Back to back best and worst performances is the perfect lens to see our progress
Players will all be disappointed in what they produced
Watched our running strengths disappear overnight
A Coleman medal means stuff all
If it's not all-in, it's nothing
Injuries and return from injury will define our season
Injuries have exposed the list to the ultimate assessment test
Something must be cooking with Dow
Team is experiencing a lot of change, forced change, and adaptation

If we learn from those things and find some injury management that works, we'll challenge any side. Next year, the year after..

FWIW our injury woes aren't improving. A full strength WC at home might just offer up another lesson. With or without Weiters. 
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #56

Carlton average score

Rd1-Rd10: 93.2
Rd11-Rd16: 76

Weitering went down in the first quarter of rd11.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
Carlton average score

Rd1-Rd10: 93.2
Rd11-Rd16: 76

Weitering went down in the first quarter of rd11.

Ill have to look overall as I think they are all lower generally. It is one thing I noticed a few weeks ago watching a game. We pumped Freo kicking 81 last week.

Reply #58
The Bumbers just did us a favour knocking off the Ducks ...

Reply #59
Bit of ball watching and jogging going on also - esp Fisher, Cerra and Honey, need to be much better,

Also what I refer to the “Liam Jones” effect from Plowman - some very good pieces of play, offset by some absolute howlers.

Newnes may be a great clubman but his decision making and ability to get quick disposal is way off AFL. He’s a VFL stalwart at best.
Honey aint AFL standard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time