Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 4830 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #30
I think we may have got more credit  for the Freo win than was warranted....and I suspect we'll get more criticism than is warranted for this performance.
At the end of the round we'll probably sit on the ladder exactly where we should be.
The old its never as good as it seems and its never as bad as it seems?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
One word - turnovers.  Kicks into the centre square to an outnumbered team mate.  Absolutely killed us.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #32
I've been saying our injuries and related adaptations will take a toll. Even as players return, they take a game or two to find their touch. Hence 4/8 not guaranteed, and a slide quite likely. We've hit that mark IMO, and 4/7 is becoming less likely. Hope I'm wrong but if we do play finals we will scrape in. Our poor % may become the deciding factor.

Tonight we looked that half second off it most of the game. That's all it takes. Cerra, Honey, Kemp to lesser extent, not in touch. Poor buggers TDK and SOS were monstered. Our mids in general were slightly off giving them enough opportunities and they took them.

Our goalkicking was deplorable. Every goal took so much effort, as did most of the  points. There's the game right there, against a side of 18 hard workers.

Bang on LN. I thought Kemp tried his guts out and wasn't that bad, as Thry has pointed however out Cerra and Honey were utter rubbish. Our goalkicking was as bad as I have seen, they were unforgivable. But you cannot taking anything away from the StK workrate, Jones, Sinclair, Gresham, Ryder, Steele, Membrey to name a few would have slept well last night.
As I said in the in game, their ground ball work was exemplary.
We also need to choose the right time concede ground when trying to link up on the outside. They picked us off so many time at the centre bounce where we virtually carried it half way to goal for them. Other teams will pounce on that now.
Our % is woeful and will cost us, mark my words and our position in the 8 is under threat make no mistake. With some tough games coming up, we may get some back but I reckon it will be later than what we think. Weiter is no guarantee this week, said he pulled up sore after training and the full movement isn't quite there, that would suggest weeks to me but I'm no doctor. Pitto and Gov are miles off also so there are more weeks yet of battling away with an undermanned squad.
Ill say again, loved Motlops games, strong little bugger and looks to be finding his place.
Durdin is in a slump and needs to find his mojo, seems scared to have a shot and his first instinct is to dish off. That needs to be reversed.
Honey is not AFL standard Im afraid, loped around looking lost most of the time, where is this supposed blistering speed? Looked like he couldn't catch a cold last night, very disappointing and Dow must look at that and think really?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33
One word - turnovers.  Kicks into the centre square to an outnumbered team mate.  Absolutely killed us.
We love putting team mates under pressure don't we? Silly little hand balls or kicks to a bloke in a worse position, no idea why we do that so regularly. That one last night where Cerra kicked pack to Newman with Ryder lurking was atrocious.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #34
Have lost 3 of our last 5.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
The old its never as good as it seems and its never as bad as it seems?

Pretty much.
It was a bit concerning last week to hear the commentary around the Freo game.
The question that was asked in just about every panel show was... Can the Blues win it....and the answers were usually...Yes they can!

While I think, and it's conventional wisdom, that you take the opportunity to play finals and win flags whenever you can I reckon we're probably still about 12 months off really challenging.
Playing finals, finishing top 4, would be great for the experience, and once you're there you never know.
But there's a part of me that feels that in the long run, the slow more sustainable build to that position is where we're heading.

Last night was a bit of a reality check.
Inaccuracy, the effect of injuries, being just that 5% off all take a toll.
We were the better side for large parts of the game, and on reflection there was lot of opportunities that went begging just because of a few a few crucial mistakes.
We lost it, as much as they won it.
It wasn't as bad as it might appear.
I'd be confident we'd have their measure with just a few of our injury inclusions.

Just on the defence.
We still haven't had a 100 points kicked against us by any side this year...and a fair bit of their score came late.
Defending wasn't really the problem last night....it was more the attacking from defence that is usually a strong part of our game.
And a pretty shambolic and inaccurate forward line with a few players well down.

Reply #36
Our scoring has dried up since Weitering went out. 6 of our first 10 games we scored over 100, haven't got near it since.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
Not once - when we took a mark on the boundary a decent way out - did I see any movement from our players to try to create a better opportunity for shot on goal. And besides that amazing kick by H that just skimmed thru, the rest went out. At times the space in f50 in front of goals was clear -  bullet pass to someone on the lead would’ve been the much better option but not once got a look in.

Putrid night at the footy. Once again we seem to start the game 10mins after the fact! Really frustrating.

Cerra was so underdone it was painful to watch.

Just on Dow - he did this thing at quarter or half time, kicking at goals for $250 for a charity - haven’t some on here said he’s on the outs and will leave end of year? Strange to have him doing that in that case.

Reply #38
Perspective.
The growth of this group, under huge pressure (injuries/quality opponents), is terrific... and surpassed, thus far, most of our expectations.

The Aints didn't win that game. We gave it to them through poor finishing. If we'd kicked straight putting scoreboard pressure on them, they'd have folded and we'd have grown in confidence - they got us on the back foot, and we kept ourselves there (through inaccuracy). We kept them in the game and will learn more about opponents who bring strong and persistent pressure - credit to the Aints for that, they responded.

We'll learn a lot from that game... especially composure/finishing.

I don't think that individualising will serve too much of a healthy purpose re last night, it was team (though the inclusion of experienced and talented blokes over the coming weeks will sure help). For us, it's still about above the shoulders as a team and getting our system right. It's a terrific system.

I'd much rather our future than the Aints.

Not the end of the world.

Plus, and I'm sure the coaches emphasized this, there were a lot of distractions for a young side - media pumping up our tyres, Carlton Respects - a brilliant and important initiative, plus a hurting Aints, improved by strong inclusions, bringing real heat.

I mentioned before the game that Membrey loves us... he didn't disappoint.

The Weagles game couldn't come at a better time. Space for the players to spend quality time together interstate with fewer distractions - a great chance to return and sharpen focus.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
We have two gun forwards, so what do we keep doing? Kick it on their heads.
We've been doing this at Carlton for years,  packed forward line, kick it to a pack and hope for the crumbers.
Bloody, clear the forward line out and kick it to advantage to a leading player.
Harry looks so disinterested, never really launches for a ball, just seems to be playing for a free kick.
Bring Fev in to show them how to lead (and kick straight)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #40
@ Baggers Yes perspective indeed and our future is bright no doubt. But I think after last night, the talk of us making finals and winning the premiership will be tempered somewhat from all and sundry. As we get to the business end of the season, the real contenders will emerge and be clear to all. Not saying StK are contenders, far from it. Even with our depleted, if it wasn't for atrocious kicking for goal and sub par workrate, we would have beaten them. But we didn't and some home truths will brought to them this week. To be top 4 and regarded as a contender, we would have to just about win every game against the teams lower than us and two out of Melb, Bris, Geel. Not gonna happen..this year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
Sorry Baggers but that is complete disrespect to StKilda. They controlled most of the game, withstood our surge and finished us off.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #42
The loss we had to have?

After getting our tyres pumped up last week, back to reality this week.

A good lesson that if you are 5% off and dont take your chances when they present, you will lose.

Learn from the Freo game and learn from the Saints game. Regardless of the opposition and the strength of your relative teams, its all down to pressure and converting.

From here we will get players back and it will make our life easier.

Reply #43
This was a danger game with the Saints smashed in the media and when you saw who they brought in you didn't need to be too smart to figure out it was going to be tough night and as Krud said if you are off by a little bit then you will get knocked over. A few of our players might be drinking their own bathwater too and couldn't be bothered with manning up or the hard stuff.One passage of play included Stkilda switching play and walking the ball through half back, the wing then down forward, zero pressure applied and zero manning up.
Saad did a lot of rebounding but caught out being too far away from Higgins too often and Sinclair never had a man all night.All easy fixes if you are switched on and motivated but we just looked like we wanted the other bloke doing the work while we watched waiting for the easy kick.

Reply #44
This was a danger game with the Saints smashed in the media and when you saw who they brought in you didn't need to be too smart to figure out it was going to be tough night and as Krud said if you are off by a little bit then you will get knocked over. A few of our players might be drinking their own bathwater too and couldn't be bothered with manning up or the hard stuff.One passage of play included Stkilda switching play and walking the ball through half back, the wing then down forward, zero pressure applied and zero manning up.
Saad did a lot of rebounding but caught out being too far away from Higgins too often and Sinclair never had a man all night.All easy fixes if you are switched on and motivated but we just looked like we wanted the other bloke doing the work while we watched waiting for the easy kick.

Bit of ball watching and jogging going on also - esp Fisher, Cerra and Honey, need to be much better,

Also what I refer to the “Liam Jones” effect from Plowman - some very good pieces of play, offset by some absolute howlers.

Newnes may be a great clubman but his decision making and ability to get quick disposal is way off AFL. He’s a VFL stalwart at best.