Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3843 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
Well he has to because The Big House wants us out of the 8 so they will want him to get 2-3 wks.

I would have thought Carlton in the finals would be good for the AFL's bottom line ?

At any rate, I guess what I was trying to say is that such behavior is unusual for Carlton coaches, and more like Chris Scott et al.

Reply #31
Well he has to because The Big House wants us out of the 8 so they will want him to get 2-3 wks.

Reckon the big house would love all of Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton in the finals.

Reply #32
A little surprising to hear a Carlton coach trying to shape the narrative around the Cripps incident to work in our favour.

I like it. He's astutely following the best role models in this era. Mr Dimma and Mr Pudding face 😉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
I would have thought Carlton in the finals would be good for the AFL's bottom line ?

At any rate, I guess what I was trying to say is that such behavior is unusual for Carlton coaches, and more like Chris Scott et al.
I was being sarcastic Pauly, of course Carlton is good for the AFL's bottom line. Yes its refreshing to see our coach go in to bat for our players, probably futile, but refreshing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
I like it. He's astutely following the best role models in this era. Mr Dimma and Mr Pudding face 😉
I liked it too. Front foot, calling it as he sees it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
First time this year that we've had more than 100 points kicked against us.

Reply #36
Kept notes today on who turned ball over or fumbled and my pen nearly ran out.. Qtr 1 - Fisher, Owies, Cottrell, Setterfield, Newnes all missed goals or kicks - some resulting in goals. 2nd Q Dow, Owies set shot, Setterfield, Mackay from 50 passes to TDK who wasn't ready and punched - why wouldn't he kick the goal. 3rd Cripps set shot and pass to Walsh missed coast to coast Bris goal, Dow missed goal, Cerra, Silvagni dropped chest mark coast to coast. Game cooked
Point of all this for me - far too many c graders. Far too many who cant or wont improve foot skills. Cripps - love him but 50 50 by foot and has never improved in this area. Had to kick that goal to start 3rd and had to hit Walsh. They had finishers. For me foot skills was the key thing. We have for years been a confidence based team. Good kicking breeds confidence. Fisher kicks that goal first 20 sec confidence builds....didn't have another shot for ages after that.
Been mentioned but TDK in last 3 and a half minutes got monstered. Destroyed in the ruck and we couldn't touch it. And my goodness mr fitness role really needs to be assessed - for me time for a change there. Has not got results for me and we cut coaches so what's difference. If Martin is played again that's it I'll spew up. Cant survive a game. Why play him. Miss 8 will have ramifications given where we were...huge fail if happens
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #37
Kept notes today on who turned ball over or fumbled and my pen nearly ran out.. Qtr 1 - Fisher, Owies, Cottrell, Setterfield, Newnes all missed goals or kicks - some resulting in goals. 2nd Q Dow, Owies set shot, Setterfield, Mackay from 50 passes to TDK who wasn't ready and punched - why wouldn't he kick the goal. 3rd Cripps set shot and pass to Walsh missed coast to coast Bris goal, Dow missed goal, Cerra, Silvagni dropped chest mark coast to coast. Game cooked
Point of all this for me - far too many c graders. Far too many who cant or wont improve foot skills. Cripps - love him but 50 50 by foot and has never improved in this area. Had to kick that goal to start 3rd and had to hit Walsh. They had finishers. For me foot skills was the key thing. We have for years been a confidence based team. Good kicking breeds confidence. Fisher kicks that goal first 20 sec confidence builds....didn't have another shot for ages after that.
Been mentioned but TDK in last 3 and a half minutes got monstered. Destroyed in the ruck and we couldn't touch it. And my goodness mr fitness role really needs to be assessed - for me time for a change there. Has not got results for me and we cut coaches so what's difference. If Martin is played again that's it I'll spew up. Cant survive a game. Why play him. Miss 8 will have ramifications given where we were...huge fail if happens
Fair points but we couldnt miss a target or goal before the mid season break. Apart from the obvious injury tol, what's happened? Fatigue of a long season playing above ourselves maybe?
Re Martin 100% agree.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
And my goodness mr fitness role really needs to be assessed - for me time for a change there. Has not got results for me and we cut coaches so what's difference.

Andrew Russell has been there since 2018.

I didn’t take notes but I noticed that, if the ball was turned over to our advantage, Brisbane players would sprint back in formation to fill any gaps. By “in formation”, I mean 3 or 4 players in a line across the field, similar to the way rugby league teams line up.
You need superior aerobic capacity to do this which is maybe why they tired in the last.

I’m suspicious that Russell brought all his text books and charts and s/sheets across with him and, when our players reached some arbitrary ‘level’ of fitness, he picked up his bonus.

I’m not blaming Russell for our injuries but, for a high performance fitness guru, I’m not impressed.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #39
Fair points but we couldnt miss a target or goal before the mid season break. Apart from the obvious injury tol, what's happened? Fatigue of a long season playing above ourselves maybe?
Re Martin 100% agree.

Yep
The guys that have played most of the season are buggered. The injured are taking a time to get back into it.
Pressure has a lot to do with the accuracy of disposals.
At near full strength we can absorb a lot of that  pressure and players look a million dollars.
The workload is shared....targets are hit.

Now we're just a bit shattered, and it's reflected in our accuracy.

Reply #40
Speaking of sprinting.....did anyone see Setterfield sprint.....at least in the 2nd half.

I can't remember him getting out of a jog the whole time. Whether it was to guard space/an oppenent, attack the ball, chase a player with the ball.
Closest i saw was to run backwards to get a cheap kick from the backline....which he almost stuffed up the kick.

I get the laconic style, Hoops Houlihan was similar, but when you need to go, you go....he just doesn't go.

Reply #41
Watching on the telly I like to imagine getting inside the players heads and willing them to the contest.
It's a way to judge whether you think they're going hard enough (not necessarily an ability I'd possess myself, in real life ;D .)

When I've willed some of them to the contest the last couple of weeks....they just haven't gone with me. :(

Reply #42
I didn’t find a tv until the last Q but a “chase” by Dow on the wing early on was simply disgraceful.
I didn’t see him again after that, if he was actually benched after that it would also explain a couple of those late Brizvegas goals, fatigue…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #43
Agree on Martin. +Williams and McGovern. All need to go. Each earning 750K I think.

Reply #44
Well that was painful... watching the game again.

It was as if their heads and hearts weren't in the game from the get-go. Seemed self-limiting, almost afraid of risk. A few blokes on the backline were the exception, along with Charlie up forward from scant opportunities.

Obviously the issues of the week previous were not thoroughly acknowledged/understood and/or successfully addressed.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17