Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Finals Week 1 Sunday 28th August Collingwood v Carlton at Victoria park 1PM (Read 5247 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Finals Week 1 Sunday 28th August Collingwood v Carlton at Victoria park 1PM

Reply #75
Id take Cahill over Owies every day of the week. Natural football smarts but Crocker would be the one I would definitely replace Owies with. Huge upgrade IMO.
I really really like Heath Ramshaw as a close checking back pocket player. Still only a teenager like Trudgeon.

Re: VFL Finals Week 1 Sunday 28th August Collingwood v Carlton at Victoria park 1PM

Reply #76
Ned Cahill has a touch of class about him. Used the ball very well kicking onto leading players. Its the only time ive seen him play and i was impressed. I know he was on the cheats list.

Does anyone else know more about him

Cahill played 6 games for the Bombers over the 2020-21 seasons so you’d expect him to be a tad better than blokes who haven’t had that experience and development opportunity.

He is a good mark for his size, makes good decisions, tackles hard, and uses the ball well.

I suspect that he’s hoping for another crack at AFL but I don’t think that he would add much to our list.  His goal kicking might be a little better than Durdin and Owies, but there wouldn’t be much in it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
I am having problems watching the replay at the moment, but I do have some comments from the stats, and from the bits and pieces I saw live.
[1] Setters had a really good game today. He may have resurrected his career over the last few weeks. He still isn't hard enough for me, but he is worth his spot at the moment. He managed 40 possessions today, with 13 clearances!
[2] Dow was good, but his disposal is just so disappointing. Still, 33 possessions, 6 clearances and 7 marks is a pretty good day at the office.
[3] Stocker showed today what we want him to do in the seniors. He took responsibility and he got leather poisoning. He had his man trying to tag him, rather than him doing the tagging. It worked well.
[4] We missed Mirkov, but the others really stood up in his absence. Cripps played probably his best game as a ruckman for the year. He played to his strengths, rather than his weaknesses. Akuei was similar: he used his athleticism and stopped his opponent from getting the ball. He had 13 taps, something he hasn't done this year to date. Glass-McCasker got 5 taps and provided a decent target in the forward line. All up, we had more taps, without an acknowledged ruck. That was great.
[5] I like Ramshaw. We should draft him. He is a good, hard trier. For that matter, Lieu probably did enough to get a guernsey for 2023. If Trudgeon were that bit quicker, he'd be value too. Unfortunately, he lacks pace.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #78
[4] We missed Mirkov, but the others really stood up in his absence. Cripps played probably his best game as a ruckman for the year. He played to his strengths, rather than his weaknesses. Akuei was similar: he used his athleticism and stopped his opponent from getting the ball. He had 13 taps, something he hasn't done this year to date. Glass-McCasker got 5 taps and provided a decent target in the forward line. All up, we had more taps, without an acknowledged ruck. That was great.
Personally, I think this worked out heavily in our favour, we had so so much run and mobility from the trio that played we didn't really miss Mirkov at all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
Kemp looks like a real player, just not sure where he fits in to the team. The ultimate utility!!

How tall is he? Are the stats accurate? They say 193cm - was that when drafted, or has he shot up a bit?

Reply #80
Personally, I think this worked out heavily in our favour, we had so so much run and mobility from the trio that played we didn't really miss Mirkov at all!

Run and mobility from young Cripps?  Mirkov is a gazelle by comparison 🙂

I was pleasantly surprised by Akuei’s game.  He played as a ruckman in junior footy and seemed more comfortable in that role than when he plays as a defender or forward. Perhaps because he was where the ball was, rather than trying to judge where the ball was going.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
Crocker is a good player at this level but was below average at Collingwood & Crows no worth a precious list spot third time around.

Reply #82
Run and mobility from young Cripps?  Mirkov is a gazelle by comparison 🙂
I think you are commenting from memory.

Mirkov's 2nd-1/2 of the season has been very ordinary, low mobility, little involvement away from the stoppage. He's been playing like a traffic cone, probably carrying an injury.

Today Cripps was actively tackling and shepherding for his Mids, he got involved in many marking contests and brought the ball to ground in our favour. We had run and he allowed us to the take advantage of it. If his selection was planned and not as a result of injury it was coaching genius.

Akuei was average in the ruck, but much like Silvagni, he was more than useful at applying 1% type pressure to the opposition around the stoppages he was involved in, and also contested well overhead without taking many marks. He needs a pre-season in the gym.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
I've heard a rumor that Setterfield didn't meet the criteria for today's final and we may end up losing because he played.

Apparently he was named 13 times on the afl senior list, and only played 6 vfl games falling short of the 7 games required to play finals for the vfl side.

If so, that's a monumental cock up.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #84
I've heard a rumor that Setterfield didn't meet the criteria for today's final and we may end up losing because he played.

Apparently he was named 13 times on the afl senior list, and only played 6 vfl games falling short of the 7 games required to play finals for the vfl side.

The qualification point is 6 games.

It sounds like the Filth getting filthy on the result.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #85

Surely not.
Someone must be able to keep a tally.
Mind you. It would top off a year of monumental "almost" "what if" moments.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #86
Crocker is a good player at this level but was below average at Collingwood & Crows no worth a precious list spot third time around.
Maybe there were reasons he didn't perform at Coll and Ade. He has kicked 29 and 33 goals in the last two seasons, that's a bloody good return. When I have seen him play, what strikes me is that he seems very sure and confident with ball in hand and has a solid kicking style and routine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
Cahill played 6 games for the Bombers over the 2020-21 seasons so you’d expect him to be a tad better than blokes who haven’t had that experience and development opportunity.

He is a good mark for his size, makes good decisions, tackles hard, and uses the ball well.

I suspect that he’s hoping for another crack at AFL but I don’t think that he would add much to our list.  His goal kicking might be a little better than Durdin and Owies, but there wouldn’t be much in it.

Thanks DJC - Considering Durdin and Owies made critical errors in the last few games If Cahill is a better user by foot I would still put a lot of thought into it as it can be a a massive upgrade when the heat is on as we have seen. But i get it as EB said you cant have too many of those sorts on your list.

I just always favour good users over almost any other stat and why I would persevere with Setterfield but trade Dow out.  Both have flaws but Setterfield is a decent user by foot (most of the time) while Dow kicking disposal with any level of pressure is still poor and unreliable and once you add in his lack of defensive run (or fitness ?) he should be traded IMO.

He may be able to rack up touches at the VFL level but he deficiencies will mean his chances of making it at AFL level are too low for us to keep persisting with.       

Reply #88

Any player who plays an AFL game after 1 July is eligible for the VFL finals if they have played 6 VFL games during the season.  The total number of AFL games played is irrelevant in Setterfield’s case.

Of course, the VFL would have confirmed which players were eligible to play.

Reply #89
Maybe there were reasons he didn't perform at Coll and Ade. He has kicked 29 and 33 goals in the last two seasons, that's a bloody good return. When I have seen him play, what strikes me is that he seems very sure and confident with ball in hand and has a solid kicking style and routine.
Kicked 29 & 33 in the seconds against some players not on AFL lists at all, in teams that were at times pathetic like the bullants. If he kicked 60 I’d say maybe but he is being compared to Owies Honey etc playing against professional footballers who are playing in the top league in the country! Dow is dominating VFL but still looks ordinary at AFL.  Sorry 29 goals in seconds isn’t drafting standard