Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Finals Week 2: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 4338 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Finals Week 2: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #75
We must resign Stocker he is hard at it ,never shirks a contest, flies the flag when teammates are roughed up and knows how to get his own ball. Kicking needs tidying up but the rest of what he brings is something we don’t have a lot of. Toughness.
Tommy, If they are hard at , dont shirk contests and fly the flag then they dont usually last long at the modern Carlton.....we quickly weed them out and get rid of them before they have time to infect the other players.
We prefer the softer gentle Von Trapp types...there was this bloke called Mitch Robinson, terrible individual...wouldnt shirk contests, always flew the flag, dragged the whole team down with his tough attack on the ball and constant habit of tackling opposition hard so he had to go. Liams best hope is to play VFL for the Bulldogs and hope for redemption......

Reply #76
Tommy, If they are hard at , dont shirk contests and fly the flag then they dont usually last long at the modern Carlton.....we quickly weed them out and get rid of them before they have time to infect the other players.
We prefer the softer gentle Von Trapp types...there was this bloke called Mitch Robinson, terrible individual...wouldnt shirk contests, always flew the flag, dragged the whole team down with his tough attack on the ball and constant habit of tackling opposition hard so he had to go. Liams best hope is to play VFL for the Bulldogs and hope for redemption......
Not sure Stocker will play anywhere at the top level again.

But I always get a little smile when you refer to the Von Trapp mindset, I see it as a play safe work safe attitude, like our club seems to conduct itself in the war of AFL as if it was commanded by officers qualified in OH&S. Tread lightly, hurt no-one, be at peace, live in harmony!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77

Do you really think that coaches, who played as hard as Voss and Hamill did, want soft, gentle players?

Stocker wasn’t delisted because he has tattoos and delivers a mean hip and shoulder.  He was delisted because he wasn’t able to replicate his VFL form at AFL level.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
Do you really think that coaches, who played as hard as Voss and Hamill did, want soft, gentle players?

Stocker wasn’t delisted because he has tattoos and delivers a mean hip and shoulder.  He was delisted because he wasn’t able to replicate his VFL form at AFL level.

Rather debateable considering he played 17 very good games last year.

Reply #79

Voss screwed up the Brisbane list with bumbling list management and what did Hamill do at the Saints to make them a remarkably successful team?,  its not like we have a plethora of overly physical players either and Stocker was a breath of fresh air in that regard.
Josh Honey was rewarded with another season and he has hardly replicated his VFL form in the seniors so it must be different criteria he was booted for IMO....maybe more personal reasons.

Reply #80
Josh Honey was rewarded with another season and he has hardly replicated his VFL form in the seniors so it must be different criteria he was booted for IMO....maybe more personal reasons.
Yes, that's how I see the Stocker events.

If it was about football then that would be even more perplexing relative to Honey, because Honey barely even had VFL form of any note.

I was thoroughly gobsmacked when Honey got an AFL gig this season, I'd mentioned he looked weeks away, but he got a gig off the back of a couple of cheap goals, one or two Joe the Goose type scores. Actually I told a friend at the time and may have even posted here, that I thought it was because we were putting Honey on the market! Perhaps in hindsight it was purely an issue of injuries.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
Yes, that's how I see the Stocker events.

If it was about football then that would be even more perplexing relative to Honey, because Honey barely even had VFL form of any note!

I was thoroughly gobsmacked when Honey got a gig, actually I told a friend at the time, and may have even posted here, that I thought it was because we were putting him on the market!
A lot of inconsistencies in our list management, Im no real advocate of Setterfield but I was shocked to hear he has to wait till the end of the trade period for word on a new deal which really means he would be silly to knock back any offer from another club because there are no guarantees with us. Yet we sign Honey, promise the ageing Ed Curnow a deal and it was Setterfield who played his best games late in the season...fattening him up for trade?...maybe but lets get realistic he will be at the cheap end of the trade scale.

Reply #82
A lot of inconsistencies in our list management, Im no real advocate of Setterfield but I was shocked to hear he has to wait till the end of the trade period for word on a new deal which really means he would be silly to knock back any offer from another club because there are no guarantees with us. Yet we sign Honey, promise the ageing Ed Curnow a deal and it was Setterfield who played his best games late in the season...fattening him up for trade?...maybe but lets get realistic he will be at the cheap end of the trade scale.

Understand that EB but if we knew who we may be likely to bring in these events may make a lot more sense?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
My view on all this is that Voss took a year to have a look at everyone and now is getting rid of the who he thinks are the "cannots" and keeping  who he thinks are the "cans". Simple as that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
My view on all this is that Voss took a year to have a look at everyone and now is getting rid of the who he thinks are the "cannots" and keeping  who he thinks are the "cans". Simple as that.

I think that is exactly what is going on G2C.  Perhaps there is a bit of "we can bring in X as an improvement on Y" too.

Some players may be fortunate in that their contract status may give them another year to try get a place among the "cans".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
I think that is exactly what is going on G2C.  Perhaps there is a bit of "we can bring in X as an improvement on Y" too.

Some players may be fortunate in that their contract status may give them another year to try get a place among the "cans".
Voss wants them to play a specific way which is very different to how many in this group have ever played. This year was about finding who was committed enough to play his way. This preseason will be utterly brutal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time