Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 2884 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #45
There are four actions which constitute a one percenter according to official AFL statistics: knock-ons, spoils, smothers, and shepherds.

Who leads our 1%ers this year?
The answer will surprise some.
It's Lewis Young, despite missing games.
He was the stat leader again yesterday.

Defenders (probably understandably) occupy the first five places.
Then comes Pitto, with Harry McKay the first forward.

Young 118
Weitering 101
McGovern 48
Saad 40
Newman 35
Pittonet 31
McKay 30

Kemp would be right up there on averages per game.

Reply #46
There are four actions which constitute a one percenter according to official AFL statistics: knock-ons, spoils, smothers, and shepherds.

It's Lewis Young, despite missing games.
He was the stat leader again yesterday.

Young was less effective than Silvagni in the ruck contests but he played a useful role by adding his defensive presence after contesting the centre bounces.

Generally speaking, ALL defenders played very well as a team - although they were under much more pressure in the 3rd quarter when the midfield pressure fell away.

Reply #47
Not really, if you are a KPD who by default chooses to spoil you will be naturally high on this ranking, there are only two possible options spoil or mark, so as a KPD the less marks you go for the more spoils you must have!

I suppose Young versus other KPDs is a valid comparison.

The first non-Defender in the AFL list is Bont at #41.
AFL OPs

In terms of teams the club with the most OPs is Wet Toast, I suppose because they are always 2nd to the pill and as such spoiling stats and smothers are probably through the roof!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
That was a shocker, but his goal from the boundary in the last was superior.

Agree, but overall Big H had one of his best games for us. He chased, tackled, got others into the game.

Best cure for kicking yips is to get yourself involved in the 1%ers. Keep making yourself valuable in the rest of your game and the kicking will come.

Reply #49
Let's not get carried away, the KPFs made a good contribution but the reality is the Dawks had nobody to stand either Charlie or BigH, it was immediately obvious from the first bounce. The Dawk fan sitting next to me turned and said "We're screwed", about 60s into the game!

Adding to that, when our Mids and HBs are willing to hit up blokes likes Martin, Owies or Cunningham it makes the opposition defenders job even harder!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Interesting hearing Voss in the post match say that at half time they celebrated the Hawks measly 5 points more than our own score.

Reply #51
Coaches' votes :

10 Adam Cerra (CARL)
5 Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
5 Harry McKay (CARL)
3 Blake Acres (CARL)
2 Patrick Cripps (CARL)

Reply #52
Interesting hearing Voss in the post match say that at half time they celebrated the Hawks measly 5 points more than our own score.
I have to admit, our team defence has been miserly whilst the HB flankers and mids have taken the game on with much flare. Voss will be very proud of this so once we can execute that against the better teams, we will be hard to play against (which is all you can ask of your players).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
Good game.  Lots of our guys played well.  While our opposition wasn't much - we buried them and won convincingly, but no need to get carried away.

Good signs and work ethic, now to replicate this for the rest of the season.

(Dwayne seemed to have the JSOS love going on)

Reply #54
Coaches' votes :

10 Adam Cerra (CARL)
5 Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
5 Harry McKay (CARL)
3 Blake Acres (CARL)
2 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
I'm a bit surprised there is not much love for Charlie this week, although between Charlie and Cunningham their work was pretty much done in the first 5 minutes of the game, that is when it was over and the outcome decided.

Watching live you get to appreciate Acres run, it's a pity he doesn't have an extra yard of pace.

Cripps was enormous, in combination with Cerra they are very formidable, especially when they combine to attack the footy in waves, Kennedy and Walsh did a lot of stoppage grunt work. It was a slightly different role for Walsh this week, not sure if that was our doing or the Dawks, but it seemed to suit Walsh.

But the Dawks are not a great test they are so small and light, they turned the footy over horribly, this week will be much better.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Funny game this one, usually always after watching the replay I'm clear on who should get votes, but hardly anybody played 4-qtrs while several players had outstanding single qtrs.

Maybe Cerra was the only one who went close to a 4-qtr performance, but even he had an extended quiet patch. I said to the people I was sitting with that I hate this about modern football, they way we looked to be preserving momentum/energy for the next game by about 5 mins into the 3rd Qtr, I'm not sure the flag favourites do that, it's a 10th spot on the ladder trait. Am I unfair?

I can't imagine Voss ever doing that, he was more the grind them into dust type.

So far I can't work out who to vote for, I think the coaches votes show you how weird it was!
The Force Awakens!