Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 0R 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Brisbane v Carlton (Read 3509 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 0R 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Brisbane v Carlton

Reply #45
I reckon you are right GTC but the success of Joe Daniher, Mason Cox etc as key forwards who can ruck means other clubs have to try and emulate what is on trend so we have to try it too with Harry and given he has played the role in the practice games Id expect us to go in with only TDK as a bonafide ruckman. When Nankervis or the like knee Harry in the guts/nuts or he does a knee they will probably figure out its not going to work so well for us and Pittonet will return. I thought the idea of Pittonet doing the heavy lifting and softening up the opposing No1 ruck early so TDK could come in later and use his athletic prowess to take over games was working fine..
EB I had a think about potential key match ups (assuming theirs is a similar side to the PF) and given we are short on personnel I came up with this:
Im sending Pitto to OMac to start formalities in the centre
Im sending TDK to the fwd line to challenge (maybe even stretch) the tallish defenders (probably Gardiner as Andrews will get H)
Curnow will get Lester and Im sending Cottrell to be the defensive fwd on Coleman and just run with him (hopefully into the ground with his running power).
Cripps will Dunkley for company, Cerra to Neale and Doc to Berry
Acres and McLuggage will resume pleasantries on the wing.
Gov whilst undersized will have to have first crack at Hipwood. Young will have Daniher who if he gets supply and kicks straight will tear him a new one (but he's all we have right now).
Saad to Rayner, Newman to Bailey (or swap that one around).
They are the main ones, Im sure there will be other we need to mind.
It'll be a challenge no doubt and we will need some luck on our side.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
EB I had a think about potential key match ups (assuming theirs is a similar side to the PF) and given we are short on personnel I came up with this:
Im sending Pitto to OMac to start formalities in the centre
Im sending TDK to the fwd line to challenge (maybe even stretch) the tallish defenders (probably Gardiner as Andrews will get H)
Curnow will get Lester and Im sending Cottrell to be the defensive fwd on Coleman and just run with him (hopefully into the ground with his running power).
Cripps will Dunkley for company, Cerra to Neale and Doc to Berry
Acres and McLuggage will resume pleasantries on the wing.
Gov whilst undersized will have to have first crack at Hipwood. Young will have Daniher who if he gets supply and kicks straight will tear him a new one (but he's all we have right now).
Saad to Rayner, Newman to Bailey (or swap that one around).
They are the main ones, Im sure there will be other we need to mind.
It'll be a challenge no doubt and we will need some luck on our side.
GTC..Boyd to Bailey see last years prelim.
Brisbane have been playing Gardiner forward in the practice games but given his form on Charlie last season Id expect him to lineup down back. Jack Payne as far as I know is fit so I would expect him to lineup down back somewhere so outsizing them may be difficult. Id have Newman on Rayner the latter is too big and strong for Saad imo and I like Saad on dangerman Charlie Cameron.
Wings.....Acres on Berry....again the Brisbane player is a big unit for a winger and I prefer Docherty on the smaller McBaggage and would be happy with a draw in that contest.
Dunkley will get Cripps and he is a hard tag so others will need to help the skipper.......Cerra on Neale is fair enough and again Id be happy with a draw.
McGovern is a hard one...his best work is done intercepting rather than minding a man imo and Id reluctantly probably start Kemp on Hipwood hoping that Mcgovern can short circuit some attacks to Hipwood and Daniher and provide some drive as well. If Kemp wasnt coping then I would swap McGovern onto him...
Cottrell on Coleman is a good move.....
Youngs form will be interesting and how he handles Daniher.....with Lynch likely the next game he needs to get his confidence up as I think his season and career at the club might be on the line. He is a capable player and in Weitering's absence needs to step up for us to win.

Reply #47
I’d make a couple of key positional changes -  TDK into CHB, which requires Pittonet to play and I’d be very tempted to bring Cowan in to play on McGregor and Docherty or Cotts on Coleman. Will be very tough!

Some may say 3 big men will make us overly slow, but the side below has plenty of run and let’s hope Fantasia turns it on.

Boyd Young McGovern
Williams TDK Saad
Cottrel Cripps Acres
Cowan Curnow Docherty
Durdin McKay Kennedy

Pittonet Hewett Cerra

Newman Hollands Cunningham Fantasia

Reply #48
Brisbane has a lot of talls but they also have a lot of run.  We're going to struggle with their height whichever way we go so I'm opting for more run.

B:      Saad  Young  Newman
HB:   Williams  Kemp  McGovern
C:     Acres  Cripps  Hollands
HF:   Cottrell  McKay  Fantasia
F:     Fogarty  Curnow  Cuningham
R:     De Koning  Cerra  Hewett
IC:    Boyd  Docherty  Binns  Kennedy  Cincotta (sub)

I decided not to take a risk with Owies and small Durdin so Fantasia gets a run.  Binns makes his debut.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Agreed DJC, Collingwood lost a key defender and still beat them with superior ball movement.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Jack Carroll named - good to see.

Reply #52
7 changes from the Preliminary Final.

Reply #53
7 changes from the Preliminary Final.

Five compulsory changes - Pittonet and Cincotta omitted.

Interesting that Owies gets a run without a practice game under his belt.  We're desperate for small forwards and he must have trained well.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
We don't have the height so I guess we're trying to outrun them.

Reply #55
Happy with the balance, even if the personnel is not ideal.

Young can consider himself lucky we are inept in the key defender stakes, but if he can perform against the lions, he might earn a gig for the rest of the year. Here's hoping.
Pittonet was not right, and we don't need 2 rucks in the side, so smart call there.
Kennedy is lucky, his lack of pace hurt us in the prelim. I'd prefer him playing as a 3rd forward rather than wing, but we'll see.
Cincotta is unlucky.

That lineup gives us half a chance, even if we are missing a bit of star power.

Reply #56
Kennedy is lucky, his lack of pace hurt us in the prelim. I'd prefer him playing as a 3rd forward rather than wing, but we'll see.

I think you'll find Kennedy will be the 3rd tall target, tagging at time with Cripps.

Reply #57
Jack Carroll named - good to see.
I've had doubts about this kid and still do. Slow in movement and decision making is all Ive seen to date. Lets see how he goes, we all start square first game of a new season so benefit of the doubt goes to the young man and Ill back him in...just.
Im not surprised by the Pitto non selection, he was woeful in the praccy match.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #58
I suspect that squad tells us we've a few more injuries around the club than we are letting on.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
I suspect that squad tells us we've a few more injuries around the club than we are letting on.
Like who?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th