Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Round 6 vs Lions (Read 4202 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 Round 6 vs Lions

Reply #15
Sailors would wet the sails so that the ship/yacht can sail closer to the wind. Coming home with a wet sail = faster, stronger, more direct, etc ????

I reckon the saying has been used incorrectly most times I've heard it then.

Good to know thanks!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
I reckon the saying has been used incorrectly most times I've heard it then.

Good to know thanks!

Just remember that I have been sailing three times in my life ... I have read lots of novels set in the age of sail though  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
CARLTON        1.2       2.5       5.6       6.7 (43)
BRISBANE       2.0       2.2       3.2       4.3 (27)

GOALS
Carlton: Walker 2, Harris 2, Vescio, Lucas-Rodd
Brisbane: Ellenger 2, McCarthy, Wuetschner

BEST
Carlton: Prespakis, Harris, Dalton, Walker, Davey, Stevens
Brisbane: Lutkins, Bates, Anderson, Wuetschner, Exon, Ellenger

I had a very enjoyable afternoon at the football yesterday, with a few thousand lucky others, as the Blues won their way into the finals. It was pleasant not to be cooking under 35ºC+ temperatures for a change.
Our ladies started quite well but let Brisbane in when the ball got over the back. Our forwards looked dangerous, but we did not get it to them all that well. As the game went on, we got stronger, shutting down the more dangerous Brisbane forwards, while making a bit more of our chances.
Maddy Prespakis started like a house on fire, with some of the best centre clearances seen by Carlton this year. She had a couple of quiet patches, but her 27 possessions were excellent.
Alison Downie and Breann Moody rucked well against taller, stronger opponents. The few times they were beaten in the ruck lead to Brisbane scores. Downie, in particular, rucked very intelligently and was instrumental to our win.
Breann Moody is a very frustrating player who definitely has not got her mojo back yet, for all of her improved form. Her shot for goal was awful. Other things she did could have been really good, but poor disposal ruined them. She’s got a lot of work to do.
Nik Stevens played one of her best games for Carlton yesterday; a real improvement over some of the sloppy work she has done this year.
Brooke Walker was very good but needs to work on her kicking. Her 2 goals came from really good work and willingness to take the game on. Much better than last week.
Chloe Dalton was the biggest threat to Maddy Prespakis for BOG honours. Around the ball and resting in the forward line, her pace and run was excellent. Her game is coming on in leaps and bounds.
Darcy Vescio and Tayla Harris were a great set of key targets, with Harris’ desperation and strong contested marking on show. If Tayla kicks all the time like she did today, she will never miss again. She really kicked through the ball in a way that some of the guys could well note. If she did that from 10 m out, we’d probably have only one loss for the season.
Harrington was strong in defence against her huge opponent, and Jayde van Dyke and Gabby Pound were good.
Georgia Gee has been down lately, but she had a much better game this week.
Davey was also down somewhat, but her strong contributions in the clinches were very positive.

One thing that disappointed me was the form of Tilly Lucas-Rodd. She really looked small and slow and her kicking was a reminder of earlier times. I am sorry to say that the game is passing her. :(

I reckon we thought the game had passed her by last year. Thats the reason why she was dropped after round 1. Same reason Audley is out of the side.

TBH i reckon we are a much better side since we started to cull the slower players from it. Yes, its unfortunate for Tilly, but when you are short, slow and can't kick too well, it is what it is.

Reply #18
I reckon we thought the game had passed her by last year. Thats the reason why she was dropped after round 1. Same reason Audley is out of the side.

TBH i reckon we are a much better side since we started to cull the slower players from it. Yes, its unfortunate for Tilly, but when you are short, slow and can't kick too well, it is what it is.

So that’s why my footy career never took off  :)

The game is getting faster and skill levels are improving rapidly.  Girls who aren’t athletic and don’t have good skills will fall by the wayside.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
John Ralph comparing our fortunes here to when we made the finals in 2013.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #20
So that’s why my footy career never took off  :)

The game is getting faster and skill levels are improving rapidly.  Girls who aren’t athletic and don’t have good skills will fall by the wayside.

That's been evident since the dawn of AFLW - the girls who are great runners have it all over the rest....the short season, part time nature of the league only exacerbates the divergence of athleticism!

Not sure I'm on board with the rapid improvement in skill level!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Not sure I'm on board with the rapid improvement in skill level!  ;)

I think overall they are clearly better at hitting targets and sticking tackles.

One thing that hasn't really improved is marking, but I'd suggest that is more a function of hand size and less to do with skills. However as mentioned the short seasons does not help. It was interesting to hear Roos yesterday talking about the men needing at least 3 or 4 games to get their match day skills working, for the girls that is half a season!
The Force Awakens!