Skip to main content
Topic: Squad for JLT game named (Read 42235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Squad for JLT game named

Reply #195
I'm still not sure why Harry shouldn't be played in the ruck  ???

Apparently he has bulked up to 100kg and most of the top ruckmen in the competition began rucking at 19 years of age.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #196
My guess is that the top ruckmen to which you refer are actually recruited as ruckmen and not as something else.

Rucking is seen as something a little unskilled compared to other positions, and it's a job that tends to fall to big blokes with er........ let's call them limitations. Which isn't to say that you can't have great ruckmen. Quite the contrary. It's also very wearing on the body.

I reckon we've earmarked Harry for greater things. But that's just my opinion.

Reply #197
My preference would be for Harry Mac to not be on that list at all. I'd rather have Murph do the rucking.

He didn't do so well in the marking contest against Max yesterday. I think his confidence might suffer a tad ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #198
He didn't do so well in the marking contest against Max yesterday. I think his confidence might suffer a tad ;)

He wasn't trying hard enough. Must be under instruction.

Reply #199
Two things I took out of the game.

1. We are still relying heavily on the experienced heads to get through matches.   Whilst that occurs we won't achieve a lot.  Until these blokes are bit part players and the sub 25 year olds are our better performers we will be in for a rough time.

2.  It's pretty hard for blokes to have pace with tired legs resulting in tired minds, and tired execution.   We had feck all rotations going on by design in comparison to Melbourne.

Petracca was impressive.   Very impressive.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #200
My guess is that the top ruckmen to which you refer are actually recruited as ruckmen and not as something else.

Rucking is seen as something a little unskilled compared to other positions, and it's a job that tends to fall to big blokes with er........ let's call them limitations. Which isn't to say that you can't have great ruckmen. Quite the contrary. It's also very wearing on the body.

I reckon we've earmarked Harry for greater things. But that's just my opinion.

That's very unkind to ruckmen Paul  ;)

Harry was a ruckman/forward at TAC and our stated preference is for blokes who can play multiple roles.  He clearly knows how to ruck and has the physical attributes to do so.  I'd like see him develop into a key forward who can ruck when required and I don't expect him to be vying with Kreuzer for our first ruck position.

I just don't understand why the sky will fall if we play Harry in the ruck  :-\

I'm
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #201

Harry was a ruckman/forward at TAC and our stated preference is for blokes who can play multiple roles.  He clearly knows how to ruck and has the physical attributes to do so.  I'd like see him develop into a key forward who can ruck when required and I don't expect him to be vying with Kreuzer for our first ruck position.

I'm

Agreed, it may even help the young bloke get more involved in the game, during a game, and in turn, grow his confidence that he belongs at this highest level?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #202

I'm

Perhaps I was unkind, and I'm not from the Grant Thomas School, but I really want to see Harry spend plenty of time up forward in the early part of his career. Perhaps further down the track, like when he's played 300 games, then he can ruck. Key forward is more important than ruck IMO, and since we have a dearth of the former, I say play him forward.

My 2 bob's worth.

Reply #203
In the real season work rate and experience defeats speed, it's pointless being fast if you do not get the right spots at the right time.

That is why the older smarter guys keep getting games, they do the work to get in the right spot or dispose of an opponent before the ball gets in the area. It's how guys like Gibbs keep racking up 30 possessions a game.

SPS, Pickett, Le Bois, Fischer would just be chasing tails all season because they cannot work their way through the game, where to be and when they have to be there.

Weitering is such a stand out for this reason, he looked smart and ready to work from day one, but by late last season opponents started putting doubt in his head and we saw him caught out of position.

It's naive to think pace is all you need to be a better football option, guys like Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Gibson, Viney, Cripps make a mockery of that idea. Betts had plenty of pace his whole career at Carlton, has probably lost some pace now, and is becoming a far better footballer.

Nothing wrong with playing slow players as long as they are playing well enough to do enougj damage to offset what you give up by them being slow.

If Boltons gameplan is to work he needs guys who can put pressure on and you need pace for that. We couldnt get near Melb on the weekend.

Reply #204
Season Over...

One day people will figure that these games mean less than nothing. At least there was something to play for before. May as well start the season, i have watched very little football and will continue to do so.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #205
Season Over...

One day people will figure that these games mean less than nothing. At least there was something to play for before. May as well start the season, i have watched very little football and will continue to do so.

IMO when you have such an inexperienced squad, and so many guys who haven't played together, and so many spots up for grabs, any game against 'real' opposition means something. What you want to see is some intensity and effort from the guys trying to win spots, and a chance to see if certain structures or plans hold up against real pressure. We have so many areas that need to improve you want to see some signs of forward progress - however small.

The problem with Saturday is there wasn't much of any of that. A few young guys showed a bit, but plenty of them didn't, and our tackle pressure, running and intensity was very poor. Our forward setup was as bad as ever, with 6 marks i50.

Reply #206
If Boltons gameplan is to work he needs guys who can put pressure on and you need pace for that. We couldnt get near Melb on the weekend.

I think that is too simplistic, you are looking at it from a chasing perspective which is only a very small part of AFL pressure acts. Most teams, even the fastest, wouldn't effect more than 2 or 3 run down tackles a round on a good day.

Applying and building pressure has very little to do with chasing in a normal AFL game, pressure is applied when the ball is in dispute not when one team has clear possession. It's about being in the right places to create disputes and a contest, primarily by causing the ball carrier to be confused or slow to decide, not chasing ball carriers down.

Nobody can run as fast as a handball or kick, and once a player gets three or four clear steps 75% of the time he'll deliver clear possessions to advantage!

If you rely on running players down you have a losing strategy, you are trying to capture the horse that has bolted.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #207
I'm still not sure why Harry shouldn't be played in the ruck  ???

Apparently he has bulked up to 100kg and most of the top ruckmen in the competition began rucking at 19 years of age.

Because if McKay gets injured in the ruck (rucks have a higher injury risk) then we are stuck with someone like Jaksch or Jones to go with Casboult.

I don't expect to win many games this year as it is...lets not make it certain!

Reply #208
Yes, agree with kruds. I still don't like this idea.

Reply #209
Yes, agree with kruds. I still don't like this idea.
x2. I think you'd see the big Yank in action before young H gets rucked.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time