Skip to main content
Topic: Squad for JLT game named (Read 42235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Squad for JLT game named

Reply #210
I'm still not sure why Harry shouldn't be played in the ruck  ???

Apparently he has bulked up to 100kg and most of the top ruckmen in the competition began rucking at 19 years of age.

Size comes before strength. Wouldn't ruck McKay at 19. Kreuzer and Casboult will ruck for sure. That's actually been the our best combo for while anyway. Kreuzer tends to ruck much more and plays alot better while Casbout gets a chance to build his confidence by marking around the ground, where he seems do alot better. Reckon one of our defenders will go forward with McKay as we can play all of Rowe, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman in defence.

Reply #211
I think that is too simplistic, you are looking at it from a chasing perspective which is only a very small part of AFL pressure acts. Most teams, even the fastest, wouldn't effect more than 2 or 3 run down tackles a round on a good day.

Applying and building pressure has very little to do with chasing in a normal AFL game, pressure is applied when the ball is in dispute not when one team has clear possession. It's about being in the right places to create disputes and a contest, primarily by causing the ball carrier to be confused or slow to decide, not chasing ball carriers down.

Nobody can run as fast as a handball or kick, and once a player gets three or four clear steps 75% of the time he'll deliver clear possessions to advantage!

If you rely on running players down you have a losing strategy, you are trying to capture the horse that has bolted.

I'm not asking for much - just elite speed, endurance, tackling and skill level from all of our players.

Reply #212
Size comes before strength. Wouldn't ruck McKay at 19. Kreuzer and Casboult will ruck for sure. That's actually been the our best combo for while anyway. Kreuzer tends to ruck much more and plays alot better while Casbout gets a chance to build his confidence by marking around the ground, where he seems do alot better. Reckon one of our defenders will go forward with McKay as we can play all of Rowe, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman in defence.

Is Casboult the KPF closer to bridging the gap to Phillips as a ruck option, than Phillips is as a Ruck closing the gap to Casboult as a KPF?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #213
I'm not asking for much - just elite speed, endurance, tackling and skill level from all of our players.

You want every Carlton player to be a Dangerfield, you want a team full of superstars. Teams like that do not exist!

I'm happy to have two or three superstars surrounded by committed and skilled quality grunts.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #214
Is Casboult the KPF closer to bridging the gap to Phillips as a ruck option, than Phillips is as a Ruck closing the gap to Casboult as a KPF?

I don't think Casboult will ever get close to Phillips when it comes to the ability to win ruck contests.  However, Casboult is more effective around the ground in terms of providing a marking option and stopping opposition rucks from marking.  Phillips as a KPF is simply a resting ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #215
x2. I think you'd see the big Yank in action before young H gets rucked.

Tend to agree...young Harry is too important as a CHF to get banged up rucking, I think Sam Rowe will ruck part time and Alex Silvagni will play down back...

Reply #216
Whilst Flipper rehabilitates, does anyone think the Jones boy might get a run?(potentially to free up Levi)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #217
I really can't buy the argument that you can't give a >200cm, >100kg 19 year old a run in the ruck because he might get hurt.  If that's the case, you certainly wouldn't want him standing under a high ball in the hot spot or being picked up by Steven May  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #218
I really can't buy the argument that you can't give a >200cm, >100kg 19 year old a run in the ruck because he might get hurt.  If that's the case, you certainly wouldn't want him standing under a high ball in the hot spot or being picked up by Steven May  ::)

As the saying goes, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

It's not about age, it's about readiness.

He can either do it or he can't.  The catch is you won't find out till you try it, and it will change weekly based on matchup.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #219
Whilst Flipper rehabilitates, does anyone think the Jones boy might get a run?(potentially to free up Levi)

Wouldn't surprise me.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #220
The risk with McKay is that he is not even 20 yet, and we know that good rucks are usually not much chop until they are 24 or 25. Prior to that they are generally someone's rag-doll.

Why would we risk further injury like a PCL on a kid who is recovering from back stress fractures? Especially when we have a list full of 199cm+ types who in terms of being KPPs are not classed in the same league as McKay.

But go right ahead, let someone who monsters capable players like a Mumford, Grundy or Hickey get some pre-season practice on the kid. Perhaps Paddy Ryder can get some valuable game time up against him, or even the comeback kid Maric and his direct opponent Nankervis!

These "seasoned rucks" do not treat the pre-season contest on a game by game basis, they are trying to end their opponent for the future of the season. Good ruck work is ruck work done early! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #221
In 2005 I sat with a colleague at Box Hill oval to watch her 18 year old nephew play in the ruck against the O'hAilpin brothers.  He was giving up 7-8cm and 5-10kg but was a key factor in Box Hill's win and was promoted to the Hawthorn side for the next game.

I suspect that Hawthorn didn't want to jeopardise the playing career of their potential 200+ game key forward.  I also suspect that they knew exactly what they were doing when they played a first year player in the ruck against two older, taller, heavier, stronger and unpredictable opponents.

I'm not advocating playing McKay as a permanent ruckman.  However, if he is ready to play as a key forward against the likes of Steven May, he is ready to have a run in the ruck.

Reply #222
In 2005 I sat with a colleague at Box Hill oval to watch her 18 year old nephew play in the ruck against the O'hAilpin brothers.  He was giving up 7-8cm and 5-10kg but was a key factor in Box Hill's win and was promoted to the Hawthorn side for the next game.

I suspect that Hawthorn didn't want to jeopardise the playing career of their potential 200+ game key forward.  I also suspect that they knew exactly what they were doing when they played a first year player in the ruck against two older, taller, heavier, stronger and unpredictable opponents.

I'm not advocating playing McKay as a permanent ruckman.  However, if he is ready to play as a key forward against the likes of Steven May, he is ready to have a run in the ruck.

Playing against someone like the O'Hailpin's in their first year of AFL is not the same as playing against Mumford or May at any time.

Roughie is no ordinary player, he wasn't coming off a season of lower back stress fractures and he did not ruck in his first AFL games but played as a tall forward/defender.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #224
Looks like good news :

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-ruckman-daniel-gorringe-cleared-of-serious-achilles-injury-20170228-gumwmh.html
That's a relief for the poor bugger.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time