Skip to main content
Topic: Squad for JLT game named (Read 42364 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Squad for JLT game named

Reply #135
Unless they're starting extra early in getting our hopes down and setting themselves up for another massive tilt at the draft.

But that's probably too far fetched.

we've been hitting that draft for 15 years. Perhaps try something different, like winning

Reply #136
You can say all you want about it being the first game against Melbourne but I remember the first game last year how refreshingly organised Carlton looked in our defensive structures. Bolton brought over a new system from Hawthorn and you could see it straight away.

Well today we looked all at sea on every front and that is concerning
In fact it is alarming and considering how abysmal we were in the 2nd half of 2016, if this is what we are going to expect in 2017 well just piss Bryce Gibbs off to Adelaide and cya in 2018.

Only positives were Charlie Curnow got plenty of it in the midfield and Caleb Marchbank looked really good.

Carlton will not win a game in 2017.

Reply #137
Disagree.

We actually saw that last year.

We saw it a few times when we won the thing.

What you won't see is a true prediction of regular season form from the pre-season.
(I hope that continues to be true, otherwise its a long season)

It totally depends on what approach the club takes to the pre-season.
Do they want to approach it with intensity or just go through the motions and shake the cobwebs out

This year it's become even more meaningless with no real competition involved.
It's like the old practice games.

Reply #138
we've been hitting that draft for 15 years. Perhaps try something different, like winning

I agree. I believe we tried this "winning" thing a few seasons back, but it wasn't correct for whatever reasons, so we had to change tack.

Reply #139
Yes I know it's only preseason but geez was hoping to see a better display then that considering the strength of the team picked.

Our forward structure is STILL stuffed and defence was not a shadow of what it was last year.

Marchbank looks a player as does McKay but Smedt looks like we have just added another turnover merchant to the list and Palmer showed exactly why no one wanted him.........except us.

Murphy was Murphy and Gibbs was Gibbs. Same
Old same old.

Gonna be a very long season again sadly.

Reply #140
Don't know why we waste game time and list spaces on cloggers like Thomas, Smedts, White, Palmer, Gorringe, Buckley.... Tried, tested, not good enough.  At least the kids have some class but after time in the system the aforementioned aren't going to suddenly become AA types.

Our midfield is four players short of being competitive.

Disappointed but as expected.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #141
I just watched the highlights on the AFL website - apart from a couple of passages of play, our players were literally jogging back and forth, almost as if by instruction. I know people on here have said "no run", but can anyone confirm that the highlights I saw are a correct reflection of the match ? i.e did the team spend most of the time jogging around, rather than running full pelt ?

Also, both teams had 0 interchanges, according to the stats.

EDIT : it seems as though they're not keeping track of the rotations - all the completed matches show 0 interchanges.

Reply #142
Haven't seen the game but disappointed in the result. Would have  liked a much closer run result than that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #143
Yep, for the team the Dees had in, the way the game looked on the tube as well as the stats, the Dees should have won bigger.

With who the dees had in ??? We only had Cripps out.

Surely BB is shaking his head a little as we all are!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #144
With who the dees had in ??? We only had Cripps out.

Surely BB is shaking his head a little as we all are!

There was only one team trying out there today.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
Some of us have been suggesting that a bottom four finish would be unacceptable...well if a meaningless practice game has folks upset Bolton's unlikely to last until Round three. :D

What it does do is indicate the need for there to be identifiable progress this season otherwise these pressures will become real influences.

In reality we applied no real  pressure or intensity during most of that game.
The other major factor was that this was the first game together for so many of the team that the team understanding wasn't there.
Seasoned players who are aware that it's a long season ahead would have been operating at about 75%

I'm sure we'll be much better prepared for the contest come the Richmond game.
Serve that up then and folks will have real reason for complaint

Reply #149
unless that appetite takes a while to manifest, what i saw today was rusty awful footy.
i'll  abate judgement until the next couple, but if it doesn't improve, we're bottom 4.
And before im attacked for it being a practice game, from Melbourne's perspective, i didn't see them get out
3rd gear.
appetite needs to be developed when you're on the lower deck