Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 113417 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1335
In the year 2525 when there is no race, religion, or nations...well, we'll probably have a whole lot of other problems to deal with...on the new planet.
If anybody thinks a new planet might make things better that best watch a series or two of The Expanse! ;D

In my opinion trouble is caused by social or political politics, usually with some underlying motivation, not typically by difference. Difference is just the label used to disguise motive.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1336
I can't think of too many countries that don't do it for at least some day or time of the year.

In the year 2525 when there is no race, religion, or nations...well, we'll probably have a whole lot of other problems to deal with...on the new planet.

If people didn't use race, religion etc., they would find something else. Paul Tillich once said that all institutions are inherently demonic, by which I think he means that all institutions are a mess, either at the start or some later point. And the reason they're a mess is because they have people in them, and people are a mess.

Reply #1337
I can't think of too many countries that don't do it for at least some day or time of the year.

Zager and Evans send their regards.  :D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1338
I understand where dodge is coming from. You can reach a tipping point with nationalism where it becomes an ugly force. Australia is hardly alone is promoting this kind of low brow self exhalation. All countries do it.

I also get where Roger the Dodger is coming from. MBB old son, Dodge specified one area of this nation that concerned him... deeply - jingoism. Same thing concerns me. And as Principal LODS noted, patriotism is a spectrum, and most of us are probably where he is, in the middle - proud of our country but not oblivious or in denial of faults or very potential faults. Hard right patriotism is dangerous. Very dangerous.

Reply #1339
If people didn't use race, religion etc., they would find something else. Paul Tillich once said that all institutions are inherently demonic, by which I think he means that all institutions are a mess, either at the start or some later point. And the reason they're a mess is because they have people in them, and people are a mess.

Beat me to it, Pauly. When you have the controlling creatures of a planet (us - humans), and those creatures are fundamentally imperfect (to be polite) you can only expect varying degrees of, as you note, 'mess.' We spend most of our lives in damage control.

Reply #1340
As George Bernard Shaw wrote;

"The longer I live, the more convinced I am that this planet is used by other planets as a lunatic asylum."
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1341
Thinly veiled redneckism.
Yee haah
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1343

We are a great country but you hate everything about us.

Are you happy with how Patriotic USA is?

Sing the national anthem at the drop of a hat. Old Glory spread across everything that will show it. They know every little redneck town with a population of over 100, but have no idea on where France is on a map....or any other country outside of Canada and Mexico.

While we are a fair way of that stage.....we are chasing their tail....as we do in everything it seems.

Reply #1344
Are you happy with how Patriotic USA is?

Sing the national anthem at the drop of a hat. Old Glory spread across everything that will show it. They know every little redneck town with a population of over 100, but have no idea on where France is on a map....or any other country outside of Canada and Mexico.

While we are a fair way of that stage.....we are chasing their tail....as we do in everything it seems.

We're headed in the opposite direction. In 20 years long after the date has been changed it will be "change the name".
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1345
We're headed in the opposite direction. In 20 years long after the date has been changed it will be "change the name".

What, back to New South Wales?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1347
We have been following the US and worryingly so.
There are signs we are not starting to follow NZ and embracing our history....albeit at a snails pace.

Reply #1348
Is Australia day even that contentious? After all the posturing the first fleet sailed into botany Bay 6 days earlier.

Whilst the 26th is the first day the land was claimed for Brittain would the 20th be any less of an issue?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1349
Simples … move it to a date outside the 20-26 Jan range. That’s the wisdom of Solomon right there.