Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27471 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #60
How Cripps, under no pressure, having taken a mark could possibly choose to spear a long bomb at Gibbons in the last quarter will forever go down as one of the most difficult decisions to get my head around ever.

That feels like a pre-programmed behavior, a coached behavior, although I not he coach complained about it!

I suspect Cripps acted in that manner, as planned, and that the plans probably required someone other than Gibbons to be at the fall of the ball!

Or else Cripps was just wrong.

How does anyone explain otherwise?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
The issue we've got right now we've had for a very long time. As soon as we cross the centre with the ball in hand the players' brains go into neutral. I don't like our forward structure - we never seem to be able to get short passes to a teammate inside 50. It is always long bombs where we rely on a contested mark or a crumbing goal. Both are rare.

Even when we do have the easiest of easy opportunities finally present itself - Dow finds a way to kick it 5m over Gov's head from a 15m pass.

Our use of the ball has been an issue on this scale for the past 3 coaches so I'm not sure how to fix it at this point. You can't just blame this coach or these players as it has been like this for so long.

How Cripps, under no pressure, having taken a mark could possibly choose to spear a long bomb at Gibbons in the last quarter will forever go down as one of the most difficult decisions to get my head around ever.

SPS and Fisher are reliable enough with ball in hand kicking short but then its hard to find any of our other mids who kick the ball well on a consistent basis...

Dow, Cripps, Murphy, Ed, Polson, Gibbons, Garlett, Setterfield and Kennedy are not players I would want kicking for my life, Obrien is meant to be a good kick and has a good style but doesnt kick under pressure well enough so being a forward and expecting reasonable delivery is hit or miss a lot of the time. Couple that with some brain dead decision making as you suggested and its hard for our forwards to get the ball unless its by individual effort. Docherty and Williamson are missed as you have pointed out previously but we probably need two more mids with elite kicking skills to turn the odds in our favour.
If Adelaide continue to implode I'd be having a crack at Matt Crouch, plus Tomlinson and Coniglio from GWS...we wont get them all but we need that extra class, we just have too many blue collar butchers....

Reply #62
What happened to the 'we use the off season to practice match simulations, especially tight finishes'. I thought every team was drilled to within an inch of their lives about tight finish scenarios??  

Reply #63
That feels like a pre-programmed behavior, a coached behavior, although I not he coach complained about it!

I suspect Cripps acted in that manner, as planned, and that the plans probably required someone other than Gibbons to be at the fall of the ball!

Or else Cripps was just wrong.

How does anyone explain otherwise?

My take on things?

Gibbons is simply a smarter footballer than our big forwards.

How else would he be able to lead to the right spot that midfielders can't help but kick it to him?

Reply #64
Teague is the forward coach. I would have thought he would have more control over the way the forwards are playing.
I don't think BB is solely responsible for the way the team is playing.

Teague's been good everywhere he's gone. He was the one and only reason McGovern came to Carlton after working with him at Adelaide. So it becomes a Carlton question more than anything. Not hard to tell there's a disconnect between the mids and forwards.

Reply #65
Teague's been good everywhere he's gone. He was the one and only reason McGovern came to Carlton after working with him at Adelaide. So it becomes a Carlton question more than anything. Not hard to tell there's a disconnect between the mids and forwards.

who looks after the mids? Stanton?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66

Teague is the midfield coach and Stanton is the MF development coach.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67

Stanton is a development coach, Cameron Bruce is the midfield coach.

As I said in the post-game thread, Bolton needs to lock Teague and Bruce in a room until they are in harmony as to how the forwards present and the midfield delivers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68
Stanton is a development coach, Cameron Bruce is the midfield coach.

As I said in the post-game thread, Bolton needs to lock Teague and Bruce in a room until they are in harmony as to how the forwards present and the midfield delivers.

ok, Bruce rings a bell....from memory he was a rather flaky player - some good days, plenty of MIA?

At the Dees, where mediocrity abounded in his time.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
Tarred with the same brush as Green I reckon.   Background doesn't instill confidence. HFFs tend to be confident,  flighty types with nice hair and teeth.... Coaches seem to come from defenders who were often average players. Maybe having to fight to make it so  can emphasize with the average player?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #70
ok, Bruce rings a bell....from memory he was a rather flaky player - some good days, plenty of MIA?

None of our coaches were much chop as players and none played in a premiership at the highest level

Reply #71

Bruce finished his playing career with Hawthorn (not renowned for recruiting flaky players) and went on to an assistant coaching role there. Yet another Hawthorn product on our books.

Apart from some disposal issues (and poor decision making by some of the youngsters - and that’s more of a development issue), the midfield is doing OK.

The Golden Child, aka David Teague, seems to be the assistant coach with the most work to do.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
Bruce finished his playing career with Hawthorn (not renowned for recruiting flaky players) and went on to an assistant coaching role there. Yet another Hawthorn product on our books.

Apart from some disposal issues (and poor decision making by some of the youngsters - and that’s more of a development issue), the midfield is doing OK.

The Golden Child, aka David Teague, seems to be the assistant coach with the most work to do.

You must have missed them constantly f... up the delivery into F50 on Sunday DJC - kicking repeatedly to Gibbons, dribble kicks, kicks directly to the opposition, kicks over the head of team mates....yep, that's clearly all sorted.

My bad.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73
You must have missed them constantly f... up the delivery into F50 on Sunday DJC - kicking repeatedly to Gibbons, dribble kicks, kicks directly to the opposition, kicks over the head of team mates....yep, that's clearly all sorted.

My bad.

I think that you have to apply at least half the blame to poor structures and system in the forward line ... and skill errors aren't necessarily the fault of the line coach.  Bruce and Teague have to work out how to ensure that a long bomb to Gibbons and at least one taller opponent isn't the first option.

Reply #74

My bad.
Swap Gibbons with a creative, opportunistic Higgins (from Richmond) or Elliott (from the Filth) and I'll bet a couple of those hail marys are converted to goals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time