Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 in 21 (Read 9920 times) previous topic - next topic

Best 22 in 21

Always interesting to see who the scribes believe are our best 22, with all things being equal.

Rebecca Williams (Herald Sun) has put her thoughts on paper.......

BEST 22 FOR NEXT SEASON:

FB: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Caleb Marchbank

HB: Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering, Adam Saad

C: Marc Murphy, Ed Curnow, Sam Walsh

HF: Jack Martin, Charlie Curnow, Jack Newnes

FF: Zac Fisher, Harry McKay, Eddie Betts

FOLL: Tom De Koning, Patrick Cripps, Zac Williams

IC: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Mitch McGovern, Will Setterfield, Levi Casboult

Interesting the omissions......Silvagni, Dow, O’Brien, Kennedy, Stocker, Kemp, Newman, Pittonet, Cunningham, Williamson, Gibbons, Cotrell.  Also, no room for Lachie Fogarty, Corey Durdin, Luke Parks, Jack Carroll along with Ramsay, Honey and Philp.

Whether you agree with the selected 22 or not, the depth is looking pretty good.

Re: Best 22 in 21

Reply #1
Pfft ... don't agree with her selections

Reply #2
I would swap Williamson for Marchbank and Silvagni for McGovern ... and Betts is line ball.

Our depth is building but I will be happier when the likes of Newnes, Betts and Murphy have been forced out by youngsters and blokes like Plowman, the Curnows, Casboult, Setterfield and Fisher are under pressure to retain their spots.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Depth is building but I would be a lot more comfortable if a few of our younger guys could show some real improvement and consistency this year and really pressure for a spot. Agree with DJC that Williamson is a better bet, for me anyway, than Marchbank at the moment, but does need to show a bit more poise in his game. McGovern remains a worry.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
I understand she has gone with Marchbank on potential ability.

Williamson is todays round 1 selection based on their last 12 months its a no brainer, but Marchbanks best footy has him as a walk up start in our best 22.  I think we have forgotton how good he looked he was going to be.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
I understand she has gone with Marchbank on potential ability.

Williamson is todays round 1 selection based on their last 12 months its a no brainer, but Marchbanks best footy has him as a walk up start in our best 22.  I think we have forgotton how good he looked he was going to be.

Marchbank needs to perform consistently and we will have serious competition for spots in defence.  Newman’s best should guarantee him a run too and then we have the youngsters like Stocker and Kemp as well as Williams if he doesn’t stack up as a midfielder.

With the exception of cover for Jones and Weitering (a stretch for Marchbank), I’m pretty happy with our depth in defence.  Hopefully, we’ll be saying the same for our forwards and midfielders before too long  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Marchbank is over hyped imo, not a true KP player but a taller 3rd defender. I agree he will be seen as best 22 but imo he needs to prove he can stay on the park and play some VFL.
Like McGovern it's more about reputation than results with Marchbank and I have never seen anything that great that warrants a automatic selection in our best 22.
Williamson will be unlucky to miss as he battled most of 2020 but towards seasons end found some form and I think he is a very handy player.

Reply #7
The inclusion of Williams, Saad and Curnwow should see us playing finals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Marchbank is over hyped imo, not a true KP player but a taller 3rd defender. I agree he will be seen as best 22 but imo he needs to prove he can stay on the park and play some VFL.
I think in our best team this guy is a wingmen, he's tall and a good overhead mark so they treat him like a KPD, but he's not strong body on body in the contest. So I'd put him somewhere he can use his overhe4ad ability and aerobic capacity and get him out of the pish and shove.

He's an icing type player, not filling.

Williamson will be unlucky to miss as he battled most of 2020 but towards seasons end found some form and I think he is a very handy player.
Agreed, this guy if he can keep himself healthy has a lot of upside, good footy brain and we do not have a lot of natural footballers in the side.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
The inclusion of Williams, Saad and Curnwow should see us playing finals.

One can but hope.  Some fundamental and ruthless scrutiny might be in order.  Eighth is unacceptable if we fall out after week one or two

Reply #10
Funny....I did the exercise myself the other day and had it pretty much exactly the same....apart from Charlie Curnow. Just worked on the assumption he won't be available for Round 1 and put Casboult in at CHF to play as back up ruckman....the IN I had was Gibbons. Similarly, probably had Marchbank in more on potential than anything else so line ball between him and Williamson. I had McGovern in the starting 18 and Gibbons on the bench.

I wasn't sold on Newnes early last season as his disposal was average...but as the season wore on, he was very reliable and deserves his spot...and he hit the scoreboard regularly too.

Reply #11
Funny....I did the exercise myself the other day and had it pretty much exactly the same....apart from Charlie Curnow. Just worked on the assumption he won't be available for Round 1 and put Casboult in at CHF to play as back up ruckman....the IN I had was Gibbons. Similarly, probably had Marchbank in more on potential than anything else so line ball between him and Williamson. I had McGovern in the starting 18 and Gibbons on the bench.

I wasn't sold on Newnes early last season as his disposal was average...but as the season wore on, he was very reliable and deserves his spot...and he hit the scoreboard regularly too.
I think there is best 22 and then the round 1 team..McGovern will be in the starting team round 1 for sure given C.Curnow probably wont play IMO and McGovern will be given every opportunity by his mate Teague to prove his doubters wrong. Newnes did enough last season to start in the team and I think one of Fogarty or Durdin will play round 1 along with Williams and Saad. Levi will play down forward round 1 to try and keep the Tiger tall backs accountable and provide some ruck support.
Marchbank probably doesnt have a matchup round 1 but will play IMHO..

Reply #12

I forgot about Gibbons.  He should play ahead of Betts.

Reply #13
I would swap Williamson for Marchbank and Silvagni for McGovern ... and Betts is line ball.

Our depth is building but I will be happier when the likes of Newnes, Betts and Murphy have been forced out by youngsters and blokes like Plowman, the Curnows, Casboult, Setterfield and Fisher are under pressure to retain their spots.
Agree, Marchy will be a monty to be replaced (if he makes it to rnd 1). He'll be luck to string 1 or 2 games in row before he gets injured again. Zero faith in that bloke.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
He's nowhere near best 22