Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 15: Carlton vs. Freo (Read 18121 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 15: Carlton vs. Freo

Reply #45
The game was won on heart, effort, will, desperation and luck. Once again, behind on the scoreboard most of the night, and just got in our noses in front when the final siren sounds, topped off by some vintage Murphy Magic™. The best thing for me was the reaction from the players when they won - their elation was palpable, and I was so happy for them, having put in plenty of work under Bolts and Teague. And to do it without the stars was a bonus.

But let's face it, the game was mostly devoid of skill, and system or method seemed to disappear in large parts. This "hack it forward at all costs" idea, which seemed to increase as the game wore on, is not a platform for future success. We won't be troubling too many teams with that.

Reply #46
What I loved and what I loved about our Dogs game the other week, was that it is enjoyable to watch - the push forward is what I enjoy, not this sideways, backwards - they did the backwards a few times but just to do the switch and the few times they did it, it worked.

I was wanting them to set up plays and was frustrated with the bombing into F50 and hoping, but Gov was way off the boil and the ground, mentally under 4th Q and we had no one else really. 

Was just so really pleasing for them to get a win, when Freo got that last goal my heart broke for the boys, again.  So good to see them push forward and deliver  :))

Reply #47
The game was won on heart, effort, will, desperation and luck. Once again, behind on the scoreboard most of the night, and just got in our noses in front when the final siren sounds, topped off by some vintage Murphy Magic™. The best thing for me was the reaction from the players when they won - their elation was palpable, and I was so happy for them, having put in plenty of work under Bolts and Teague. And to do it without the stars was a bonus.

But let's face it, the game was mostly devoid of skill, and system or method seemed to disappear in large parts. This "hack it forward at all costs" idea, which seemed to increase as the game wore on, is not a platform for future success. We won't be troubling too many teams with that.
Actually, that was the Richmond way in 2017. Scrub it in there the best way you can then fight like crap to keep it there with enough pressure eventually forcing the defence to break. F50 pressure is obviously very important. Like Richmond back then it eventually broke down the opposition in the last qtr where we kicked 5 goals. Interesting we went that way once our forward line lost Charlie. If we couldn't get it in cleanly we knocked it on, kicked it off the ground etc, anything to keep the ball going forward.

Reply #48
What a great win and how good is it to win a close one  :)

The positives for me are that Jones picked up where he left off, Kennedy played like he belonged (and I’m expecting improvement), Jack did a great job on Fyfe in the second half, O’Brien kept Hill quiet (but should have made more of his scoring opportunities), Casboult continued his good form in a different role and, most importantly, we managed win a nail-biter!

The umpiring was confusing (what’s new?).  Kreuzer was robbed of at least a dozen free kicks for blatant pushes in the back in ruck contests.  Fortunately, our mids were able to intercept or neutralise most of Darcy’s hitouts.

It was interesting to hear the commentators state that Teague had said that we wouldn’t be tagging then immediately call hard tags on Fyfe and Hill.  The full forward staying within 50m (or was it 30m) of goal tactic was clearly abandoned - if it ever existed  :-\

Finally, it was fitting for Murphy to cap off his game with the winning goal and it was great to see the boys get around him and the obvious pleasure he displayed in his post game interview.

We’re off the bottom! Go Blues  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Having Cripps out was a blessing .
The team had to step up and did

Good moves by Teague to play SOJ on Fyfe in the second half
and O’Brien on Hill

Jones is fearless in the air. Has really tightened up and we walk taller with him out there. Courageous after his concussion issues

We looked better with a smaller forward line. We were able to lock it in the forward line better.

The last 10 minutes was off the charts.
Great to be there and let’s hope we continue to improve in the latter part of the year

Reply #50
JSOS should be the permanent first bench player,  in a true utility role.   Use him in whatever role needs support.   Has an AFL body shape now which helps.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #51
Why can't these blokes come ready to play from the start. 
They must  like playing catch up football.

In the Bolton era, this was considered a cardinal sin, a sign that the coach just cannot get the players up for the game. In the Teague era, it's just magically photoshopped out of the picture. Lol.

Reply #52
JSOS should be the permanent first bench player,  in a true utility role.   Use him in whatever role needs support.   Has an AFL body shape now which helps.

I think the best thing we can do for SoJ is make him a horse for coarses type player, Freo's midfield isn't overly quick so it suited SoJ well. It won't be the case for every opposition team, so picking him when he has a suitable opponent or role helps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
In the Bolton era, this was considered a cardinal sin, a sign that the coach just cannot get the players up for the game. In the Teague era, it's just magically photoshopped out of the picture. Lol.

On the surface it would seem hypocritical, but if you dig a little deeper you find that the huge difference, Pauly, is that we come back and come back strong under Teague (yes, very early days). That didn't happen with your son - although he talked about resilience, we showed precious little... only minimizing damage.

I think you'll find that Teague is also critical of the slow starts. And if this trend is not eradicated it'll spell trouble. So let's give the lad, at we did BB, more of a chance to show how he tackles this issue.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
On the surface it would seem hypocritical, but if you dig a little deeper you find that the huge difference, Pauly, is that we come back and come back strong under Teague (yes, very early days). That didn't happen with your son - although he talked about resilience, we showed precious little... only minimizing damage.

I think you'll find that Teague is also critical of the slow starts. And if this trend is not eradicated it'll spell trouble. So let's give the lad, at we did BB, more of a chance to show how he tackles this issue.

Sorry Baggers, you are being selective in memory.

We've been conceding starts all season, and if we'd kicked straighter we probably would have had a couple more comeback wins like that this season! Instead we had a bagful of narrow honorable losses!

Come backs don't only happen when you win!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
First game I've been to for a few years. 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter I thought we were looking at an 80 point loss. Half way through the last I thought here we go again giving away 5 goal headstarts to go down by a kick or two AGAIN. If every player had the heart of Kreuzer I think we'd be almost unbeatable. I lose count of the times he puts in 2nd and 3rd efforts

Reply #56
Our next step will be to start burying some sides, I hope its next week.  These nail biting finishes need some relief. Eradicating the slow start would go a long way allievating that.

Having said that I can't understand the sour grapes because, at the end of the day, Teague has two from three and that's what matters. Teague is beginning to prove how bad a match day coach BB was and its becomming clear that he wouldn't take advice. Surely Teague would've been asking him to make the type of match day changes that are proving so successful now.

Reply #57
First game I've been to for a few years. 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter I thought we were looking at an 80 point loss. Half way through the last I thought here we go again giving away 5 goal headstarts to go down by a kick or two AGAIN. If every player had the heart of Kreuzer I think we'd be almost unbeatable. I lose count of the times he puts in 2nd and 3rd efforts

Its happening.

I watched Matt Kennedy put pressure on 4 blokes in a row, who were simply handballing around him at half back yesterday.  He isnt lightening, and he didnt give up even though he had no hope of catching any of them until they kicked it a bit longer down the line.

We are starting to hunt in packs again which is a good thing.

Regarding our slow starts, its becoming clearer what is happening to me.  We are setting up to win the game on our terms initially.  When that isn't working, in game we are making the appropriate changes to switch to negate the opposition and counter punch instead.

What that says about our opposition analysis you can work out for yourself.

I actually think it may be the by product of having youngsters.  They are having to think their way through how to play on your opponent.  The main difference between an experience player and an inexperienced player is simply how quickly they can adjust to playing on a different opponent, and how automatic it is to be able to transition from one game style to another.  Not all players play the same way.  Some can handball on both hands.  Some are better at agility.  Some are able to accelerate quickly.  Some are bigger bodied.  Some are smaller bodied and nimble.  Some can kick on both sides.  Some can sell candy, but universally speaking, the one thing that is true, is that a newbie has seen this match up once or twice.   An experienced player might only be seeing a newbie for the first or second time, but they quickly work out how to negate this player because they have played on someone similar in the past and already have a feel for what someone is going to do.  The newbies are not able to as easily, which means we might have to shuffle them around the ground a little until they get a favourable match up rather than be able to win a match up using experience.

Finally, the old Defenders make good coaches role seems to come back to the forefront.  Guys like Teague forge a playing career on the ability to read the play.  This is the attribute that seems most important to make a good senior coach.  Teague was never that good a footballer, but I think he was the type that made the most of his attributes.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58

The pretty stuff can come later, PaulP - the talent is there, for me it has always been a case of whether or not this group have enough intestinal fortitude to stand up when the going gets tough and play as a team.  The last three games have been full of it, and to win this one without Crippa leading from the front was even more pleasing.

With even an ounce more poise and luck, we would have wins over Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Saints, Collingwood and be fighting for the 8.

Mind you, if we'd won those games mentioned above, BB would still be coach and maybe this new-found freedom and 'fun-to-watch' footy would still be hidden in the cupboard....?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #59
The pretty stuff can come later, PaulP - the talent is there, for me it has always been a case of whether or not this group have enough intestinal fortitude to stand up when the going gets tough and play as a team.  The last three games have been full of it, and to win this one without Crippa leading from the front was even more pleasing.

With even an ounce more poise and luck, we would have wins over Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Saints, Collingwood and be fighting for the 8.

Mind you, if we'd won those games mentioned above, BB would still be coach and maybe this new-found freedom and 'fun-to-watch' footy would still be hidden in the cupboard....?

It's not about pretty or ugly. It's about being in control of proceedings. We won't be winning anything of note giving up big margins and trying to scramble playing desperado football in the dying minutes / seconds.

The good teams play tough accountable football, structured and in control. Think of any team that has won the flag this century. The Malthouse teams, the Clarkson teams, WC last year. That's what Bolton was aiming for IMO.

This isn't a weekend pottery course for depressed middle aged women of means. All this talk of freedom and players being able to express themselves - can you imagine Malthouse or Clarkson saying something like that ?